TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dusted by a 2004 Pontiac GTO

TX08SS

I was driving my 2008 GT500 on a long stretch of highway when a 2004 Pontiac GTO (appeared to be stock) pulled up next to me. Needless to say, we both hit the accelerator. The guy SMOKED me. All I could do was hang my head in disbelief. Now I'm sure I'll hear some criticism' on my driving skills, but I don't think that was it at all. Could it have been the weight of the car??? Any idea's???

It all comes down to physics. Our cars have a much higher power to weight ratio then does the GTO. You can look through some old magazines and you'll find that a stock 400 horse GTO was good for about a 13.3 second quarter mile. In fact I recently raced at Infineon Raceway and my first match was a GTO with drag radials. I never got a chance to ask the driver if he had any other mods. When the green light flashed I pulled him all the way to the finish line. My car is stock minus springs and shifter. I ran a 12.87 to the GTO's 13.1.

I'll assume you had your car in the power band (around 4500 rpm) when you nailed it and had some good shifts. That said the GTO must have had some good mods on it. No way a stock GTO can touch a stock GT500.

Did you drop it down a gear or 2 and nail the throttle to the floor quickly?

you have to nail it hard to get the Supercharger PSI up there - to get some kick -

Then your gone like a rocket.

This is the first supercharged car I have owned. And it really took me some time to get use to her, getting use to the difference between the supercharger reaction and a carb or fuel injection feel was a big differnce for me, because it's a hesitant response with the supercharger, and trying to get the most psi boost possible at a given instant, if you nail the throttle down slowly it just slowly builds, if you nail it hard and quick, in the right gear, the psi will max out and the car just screams, and bam, youre off like a prom dress. And when your playing around, if you arent anticipating the other drivers move, you can get caught unprepaired, in the wrong gear and seconds mean everything, getting the drop means a lot to, we can be starting off in the hole, if we arent ready. When I think I got a runner, I got my hand on the gear shifter, checking the rpms, and figuring out what gear to drop her in before he gets to my door, and when he does, its on, like donky kong.

I love this car, and I am looking for a 04 GTO Now. But those GTO's are easy to mod and people are gettting a lot of performance from them to. Just my take.

Brian

It all comes down to physics. Our cars have a much higher power to weight ratio then does the GTO. You can look through some old magazines and you'll find that a stock 400 horse GTO was good for about a 13.3 second quarter mile. In fact I recently raced at Infineon Raceway and my first match was a GTO with drag radials. I never got a chance to ask the driver if he had any other mods. When the green light flashed I pulled him all the way to the finish line. My car is stock minus springs and shifter. I ran a 12.87 to the GTO's 13.1.

I'll assume you had your car in the power band (around 4500 rpm) when you nailed it and had some good shifts. That said the GTO must have had some good mods on it. No way a stock GTO can touch a stock GT500.

Real good chance the Goat was modded. I live in Maryland, and have done business with an outfit in Gaithersburg, Automotive Essentials, recently; some bling and a Glassback roof next week. Great bunch of folks. ANYWAY, one day I was in there, and they have a recent model year GTO they were doing some interior work on, not sure what year it was. The engine has a twin turbo, can't recall who's they said it was. The car was pushing something around 700HP, and it looked from the outside to be totally stock, with the exception of the wheels and tires, a REAL SLEEPER! I suspect you ran into one of these, or something very similar. JMHO.

Toward the end of the production run, they were GIVING away the GTOs. A lot of car enthusiast types picked them up as a cheap fun toy, and then proceeded to mod the crap out of them. I wouldn't be surprised to run into a goat that was pushing big HP numbers.

So my vote goes for you having run into a modded goat.

The new generation GTOs were fast bone stock but in my opinion had no styling reminiscent of the original GTO. In fact, they look like a lozenge, like the old Taurus and a million other cars on the road. It was only GTO in name and horsepower in my opinion. I would bet he had it hopped up beyond the factory 400 hp.

At 40 mph pull the shifter into second and push the gas pedal all the way down to the floor.JK,Chances are it was obviously modded.Nice try though.Sneaky GTO's.A call to Evolution is in your future!

You definitely need to be in the right gear. 40-50 mph is second gear. If you were at highway speeds, you should probably have gone down to 3rd.

If you were in 5th or 6th, it will be three or four seconds before anything happens. The dude is gone, especially if they have an auto transmission.

That's one thing about the manual shifter - it's not going to forgive your mistakes.

Who knows how much power he was making, but I have a question for you. What speed did you start at and what gear did you drop down to? I'm thinking you didn't drop down to the proper gear. Case in point: Me with my stock GT500. I was traveling on I-10 next to a friend of mine with an '05 Mustang GT (Maggy twin-screw equipped with my tune). We jumped on it from 75 mph. He dropped down from fifth to fourth. Knowing that third gear in our cars with a stock 3.31 axle ratio will run to ~110 mph (@ 6,000 rpm), I dropped down to third gear. I smoked him. Oh, did I mention his 1/4-mile times are about 1/2 second better than mine? He's markedly faster than me yet I pulled him easily from the get-go. It all has to do with being in your powerband.

:shift:

Who knows how much power he was making, but I have a question for you. What speed did you start at and what gear did you drop down to? I'm thinking you didn't drop down to the proper gear. Case in point: Me with my stock GT500. I was traveling on I-10 next to a friend of mine with an '05 Mustang GT (Maggy twin-screw equipped with my tune). We jumped on it from 75 mph. He dropped down from fifth to fourth. Knowing that third gear in our cars with a stock 3.31 axle ratio will run to ~110 mph (@ 6,000 rpm), I dropped down to third gear. I smoked him. Oh, did I mention his 1/4-mile times are about 1/2 second better than mine? He's markedly faster than me yet I pulled him easily from the get-go. It all has to do with being in your powerband.
hey ghost man what is your quarter mile time and what track do you run at- thought you has better sense than to street race- oh what fools we mortals be rs

Most GTO's you come across are going to be modded (the ones that will challenge you anyway). How do you know it was an 04? Did it only have one tail pipe?

The 04 LS1 (350hp) needs quite a lot of mods to tear up a Shelby, but the 05-06 LS2 versions push 400hp stock, and only need a bit. They also weigh about 500lbs less than us. There are plenty of 1,000rwhp Goats on the road out there actually. You'd be surprised. An APS twin turbo system and a few other tweaks and they are screamers.

I have owned two 06 GTO's,and my last one went in trade for my Shelby. I only owned it as a 'toy' because they really weren't quality enough to consider as a daily driver, or something to take seriously as the only car. But it was fun to drive and had some nice power. They take to mods well, and can be made very fast.

Most GTO's you come across are going to be modded (the ones that will challenge you anyway). How do you know it was an 04? Did it only have one tail pipe?

The 04 LS1 (350hp) needs quite a lot of mods to tear up a Shelby, but the 05-06 LS2 versions push 400hp stock, and only need a bit. They also weigh about 500lbs less than us. There are plenty of 1,000rwhp Goats on the road out there actually. You'd be surprised. An APS twin turbo system and a few other tweaks and they are screamers.

I have owned two 06 GTO's,and my last one went in trade for my Shelby. I only owned it as a 'toy' because they really weren't quality enough to consider as a daily driver, or something to take seriously as the only car. But it was fun to drive and had some nice power. They take to mods well, and can be made very fast.

I figured out it was an 04 GTO because it had "5.7" emblem on the rear and since that's what I spent most of my timing looking at, haha. For those earlier questions, I might have kept the car in fifth and that may have been where I lost him. The whole thing was a blur (nightmare), but I'll know better next time. You folks have been great with the friendly advice, thanks.

Yes Sir, dropping gears when you are at speed is critical. You must get the engine into it's optimum power band in order to get the supercharger spooled up. Staying in 6th or even 5th and stomping on the pedal just won't do it. Take the car down to 4th, stomp on the vertical pedal, and hold on to the steering wheel!

Good luck next time!

Ouch sorry for the loss - I sincerely think that the GTO's can be quick cars, they just don't LOOK like it. The same thing happened to me two days ago! We did a pull from 65 (me in third) and I led him, but the second time he split! So I dunno, he got off the freeway before I could get along side him again. So from the first one I pulled on him good, and the second time he had me... he was modded tho - that thing sounded like someone in a tin can while you're hitting it with a bat.

But, there are more chances :-) We are definitely heavier than the GTO's... Weight sucks.... BAD. And... they look like sedans. HAH.

No way, a 04 GTO is 3725 lbs a GT500 is not 500 lbs more. I drove a 05 and it felt big and slow and plowed around corners. The back seat was hugh and i could have used it when i was 16.

Ditto to all the above posts.

If you "nailed it" in 5th then you were doomed from the start - even if the GTO was only lightly modded with an automatic.

My first "kill" with my GT500 was against a brand new Viper S/RT shortly after I had added the Stage 2 kit. He came up next to me and revved giving me time to downshift to 3rd before I hit it and left him shaking his head. He was a young guy and prolly not used to the car & gave me the chance to "sucker punch" him. I doubt I would've taken 2 out of 3.

A TT-GTO would doubtless look stock from outside - but just like our cars with a TT (see EVO 8-sec thread) would be a screamer.

Obviously not a stock GTO. We have installed a number of the Magnuson superchargers on GTO's, as well as the Callaway superchargers (same basic setup) on Corvette's. Power/torque gains were totally impressive. Did a Callaway on a Corvette C5 recently. ONLY other upgrade he had on the car was a set of Corsa mufflers. Check out the before and after dyno runs - 311.72 HP/328.46TQ Before - 483.85 HP/491.18 TQ After :)

RMB4.jpg

RMAfter.jpg

hey ghost man what is your quarter mile time and what track do you run at....

Same times as you. Same track as you. Mine is stock with the following: K&N filter, MY own tune file, rear suspension & drag radials. STOCK PULLEY. Once I install my MAP sensor, I will be able to datalog boost. I believe I'm making around 8-psig but not sure.

My car was dynoed in Phoenix bone stock at 463 rwhp (SAE corrected). That's through the original paper air filter with 8k miles on the stock tune. My car is one of the highest stock dyno results I've seen.

thought you has better sense than to street race- oh what fools we mortals be rs

Technically speaking, if you were to street race ONCE, you cannot say you "never" street race. So, if one romp from 75 mph up to around 95 mph on a multi-lane interstate on a late weeknight with no other traffic qualifies as a "street race", then I street race. What I will never do is run anyone on an arterial or residential street.

Please, no more on this matter on this thread..... Don't like hi-jacking. If you wanna talk, e-mail me.

Willie

You definitely need to be in the right gear. 40-50 mph is second gear. If you were at highway speeds, you should probably have gone down to 3rd.

If you were in 5th or 6th, it will be three or four seconds before anything happens. The dude is gone, especially if they have an auto transmission.

That's one thing about the manual shifter - it's not going to forgive your mistakes.

+1

Our sweet spot is 3d gear

Yes Sir, dropping gears when you are at speed is critical. You must get the engine into it's optimum power band in order to get the supercharger spooled up. Staying in 6th or even 5th and stomping on the pedal just won't do it. Take the car down to 3rd, stomp on the vertical pedal, and hold on to the steering wheel!

Good luck next time!

There, I fixed it for you............ :hysterical::hysterical:

The new generation GTOs were fast bone stock but in my opinion had no styling reminiscent of the original GTO. In fact, they look like a lozenge, like the old Taurus and a million other cars on the road. It was only GTO in name and horsepower in my opinion. I would bet he had it hopped up beyond the factory 400 hp.

The first thing I thought when I seen the GTO at the auto show was Cavalier! It looks just like a blown up version of the Cavalier. It was VERY disappointing to see they didn't make it a retro design.

The same with the Charger. That is a decent looking car, but looks nothing like a Charger. That would have knocked sales into Pluto had they made the Charger a modern day retro design based off the 68 - 70 Chargers.

The first thing I thought when I seen the GTO at the auto show was Cavalier! It looks just like a blown up version of the Cavalier. It was VERY disappointing to see they didn't make it a retro design.

The same with the Charger. That is a decent looking car, but looks nothing like a Charger. That would have knocked sales into Pluto had they made the Charger a modern day retro design based off the 68 - 70 Chargers.

Oh yeah - I concur - the Pontiac definitely made a design flaw in the GTO, or did they...? Talk about an ultimate sleeper! There are enough people that don't appreciate a Shelby GT500 for what it is - you think they know a GTO when they see one? You know, the same thing happened with the Impala - where's the resemblance? What else is there... The Thunderbird (although retro) IMO wasn't a catcher. I think that Mustang made the first true successful remake off an old model. There was HYPE about these things when they first came out in 2005 - remember catching a glimpse of one on the road? And oh baby, look of what they've done with the GT500!! - KS and SS, S/GT, GT-H, Bullet, etc.

My wonder is, out of all the remakes where is the 2005 body style Mach 1? And to add to that, I seen a custom 2005 Mach 1 clone at a car show two months ago... VERY INTERESTING. I wish I would have taken pictures, but didn't have the for site to see that I would have an audience that would appreciate this...

- Gabe

I was driving my 2008 GT500 on a long stretch of highway when a 2004 Pontiac GTO (appeared to be stock) pulled up next to me. Needless to say, we both hit the accelerator. The guy SMOKED me. All I could do was hang my head in disbelief. Now I'm sure I'll hear some criticism' on my driving skills, but I don't think that was it at all. Could it have been the weight of the car??? Any idea's???

More like your bad driving, but who cares who won or who lost, STOP the damn street racing! Shall I provide pictures of what happens when you lose control that is if you survive a crash?

Yo Mod, delete this post because no way should you be promoting street racing on this site! For the rest of you, when you have family or friends dis because of this stupidity, you'll understand.

Take it to the track! :censored::censored::censored:

More like your bad driving, but who cares who won or who lost, STOP the damn street racing! Shall I provide pictures of what happens when you lose control that is if you survive a crash?

Yo Mod, delete this post because no way should you be promoting street racing on this site! For the rest of you, when you have family or friends die because of this stupidity, you'll understand.

Take it to the track! :censored::censored::censored:

A good friend has the '06 GTO and has a "Diablo" mod (I do not know the extent of). This car is incredibly fast with it's automatic transmission and I believe on the track he could take my stock '08 GT500. I think I have more power and torque but this package and me not being able to shift as good as a modern automatic transmission gives him the advantage. I wouldn't let this little situation bother me at all - considering the company!

FYI - If it makes you feel any better I SMOKED a late model Firebird wednesday on the "track". It had to be humiliating because I was jumped, passed him and pulled away from him after being surprised! I don't know the #'s on these cars but I do know they were strong before going out of production.

Oh yeah - I concur - the Pontiac definitely made a design flaw in the GTO, or did they...? Talk about an ultimate sleeper! There are enough people that don't appreciate a Shelby GT500 for what it is - you think they know a GTO when they see one? You know, the same thing happened with the Impala - where's the resemblance? What else is there... The Thunderbird (although retro) IMO wasn't a catcher. I think that Mustang made the first true successful remake off an old model. There was HYPE about these things when they first came out in 2005 - remember catching a glimpse of one on the road? And oh baby, look of what they've done with the GT500!! - KS and SS, S/GT, GT-H, Bullet, etc.

My wonder is, out of all the remakes where is the 2005 body style Mach 1? And to add to that, I seen a custom 2005 Mach 1 clone at a car show two months ago... VERY INTERESTING. I wish I would have taken pictures, but didn't have the for site to see that I would have an audience that would appreciate this...

- Gabe

the Pontiac definitely made a design flaw in the GTO, or did they...? Talk about an ultimate sleeper!

They most definitely made a huge design flaw! If you want an ultimate sleeper then by a cavalier and mod the crap out of it.

Archived