TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Member Question

SicShelby

Howdy all - I'm new to the forum. I bought a vista blue/white GT500 in April, and I tell ya, what an experience! I've been Ford since my first truck - a cherry '69 Ford Bronco with a 302. I owned a V6 Mustang a couple of years ago and was surprised how motivated V6 owners got to soup them up to GT level (pulleys, turbos, s/c, exhaust, horsepower stickers, etc)!! So, why not start at the top?

If I've posted in the wrong area direct me where to go... I look forward to asking question to you all! I'm in Columbus, Ohio - anyone in this area?

And the main question - does anyone experience hood flutter, say... 80mph+? And who can recommend a good pair of hood pins to satisfy?

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2456a.jpg

I don't get hood flutter at those speeds...I would check to see if the stops are set at the right height keeping the hood nice and tight against the latch.

Welcome to the forums and the Shelby community! Nice ride ;)

As for the hood pins, check the newest SPP catalouge (sp?), they have the GT500 specific ones in there now.

I was searching for hood pins and found a couple of areas - thanks. I will also look and adjust the hood (dumb of me) - it may be a simple fix. Flutter probably occurs 100?+ - not too sure, not looking at the speedometer for the most part! Freegan thing is fast fast - LOVE IT.

Howdy all - I'm new to the forum. I bought a vista blue/white GT500 in April, and I tell ya, what an experience! I've been Ford since my first truck - a cherry '69 Ford Bronco with a 302. I owned a V6 Mustang a couple of years ago and was surprised how motivated V6 owners got to soup them up to GT level (pulleys, turbos, s/c, exhaust, horsepower stickers, etc)!! So, why not start at the top?

If I've posted in the wrong area direct me where to go... I look forward to asking question to you all! I'm in Columbus, Ohio - anyone in this area?

And the main question - does anyone experience hood flutter, say... 80mph+? And who can recommend a good pair of hood pins to satisfy?

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2456a.jpg

Welcome, Slik! :dance: I'm kinda new here too. You stold my car! At least it LOOKS JUST like mine. :drool: No probs here with the hood...yet. Great bunch of folks here. Always willin' to help.

Mark

Great looking car! Welcome to the forums and congrats on the fastest color!

Your hood flutter...take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Neither of my GT500's have that at 140mph let along 80mph.

Dealership... right... "warranty." Got it. Haha haven't been familiar with that for a while - have them fix it woooooo!

I experienced this for the first time last weekend. I was passing a minivan and got on it pretty hard between 60-85mph and the hood just kind of unlatched but didn't fly up into the windshield (thankfully). Scared me pretty good! I will have to check the setting on my hood too. I've gone up to maybe 130mph before and didn't have this happen, although I did see a little flutter here and there.

Dealership... right... "warranty." Got it. Haha haven't been familiar with that for a while - have them fix it woooooo!

It's a phenomenon only on blue cars. They made the hood out of thinner aluminum because they knew blue was the slowest color. You'll be ok...your car really won't go any faster than that.

:devil:

Seriously, welcome. Oh, and call Maaco. They'll paint it another color for $249. Door jambs are extra.

bj

I experienced this for the first time last weekend. I was passing a minivan and got on it pretty hard between 60-85mph and the hood just kind of unlatched but didn't fly up into the windshield (thankfully). Scared me pretty good! I will have to check the setting on my hood too. I've gone up to maybe 130mph before and didn't have this happen, although I did see a little flutter here and there.

Ooooh so your hood actually unLATCHED? I would have shat. Thank God for the safety latches on there... now you know why hood flutter makes me nervous

Haven't had the hood flutter yet, but was thinking of the GT500 specific hood pins. Anyone have those? Since the are Drake engineered, thought I'd ask about the quality before buying.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...0pin%20kit.aspx

And I'll do some research on the hood pins and get some good pictures up during the installation process for all those that are interested. Even if your hood is ok I think it's a sweet cosmetic addition...

And bj, thanks for the advice on the color, I had no clue! But Maaco actually painted it blue for me - it used to be red... Ummmm they said that the solar flares would cause radar/ladar guns to pic up speed quicker sooo.... I opted for blue... even though it's a "faster" color. See, it actually reflects radar... but hey least you are up to speed with Maaco - maybe they can give you a good deal seeing that you have a thicker hood, haha. Thanks for the welcome - love your car!!

Thanx for the welcome all and the replys!!

GS

Red is actually fairly dark to LIDAR, as is blue and black. The most reflective is White, which is why only the courageous will drive them at speed.

The Blue cars are surely pretty fast, but only because of the boost they get from that White stripe down the middle.

See, lucky for me, Vapor actually absorbs RADAR/LIDAR because of the stealth like qualities to it, hence why it truly is the fastest color, as no one can catch it. It's one of those, "Never knew what hit 'em" things.

Congrats again on the car, and get some pics up after you install those hood pins!

See, lucky for me, Vapor actually absorbs RADAR/LIDAR because of the stealth like qualities to it, hence why it truly is the fastest color, as no one can catch it. It's one of those, "Never knew what hit 'em" things.

Congrats again on the car, and get some pics up after you install those hood pins!

yeah.........what he said :rockon:

Blue, red, black, metallic, WHITE, man we need to take a POLL. White/blue stripes indeed was the original GT500 scheme, but not catchy enough for me. Every color is awesome. Blue is catchy, as grabber orange, red, etc... These things are catchy, and they could have the stripes deleted!

if I recall correctly the two center springs are only for shock absorption when closing the hood, and the outer two are for putting a mild pre load on the hood. You might try raising the outer two a bit.

I haven't really looked closely at the hood so far; I'm going to be in Cali for the next couple of weeks, so it's going to be hard to take a look for a while. When I get back I'll look and see what I can adjust. If no improvement I might start harassing the guys at the dealership, although I've had no bad experiences so far. The GM actually went and picked up the Shelby himself - his own truck, box trailer, and EVERYTHING. I though that was a nice touch...

Shack - looks like the GT500 specific pins you mentioned are going to be the safest bet. Drilling, however, is going to be the tedious task. But, any addition, if done correctly and with plenty of time, will pay off...

GOOD STUFF!

• 2 weeks later...
Shack - looks like the GT500 specific pins you mentioned are going to be the safest bet. Drilling, however, is going to be the tedious task. But, any addition, if done correctly and with plenty of time, will pay off...

GOOD STUFF!

Thanks for the update - I'll add those to my list.

Archived