TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 2008 Condensation on driver's side

I have about 200 miles on my GT500, three times now I have noticed smoke coming from the drivers side front wheel, while sitting at a red lights, I had Ford look into this and they stated it is because of condensation gathering above the exhaust manifold. Has anyone else had this experience? I live in Las Vegas, NV where we have very little humidity,

Thanks

Richard

I live in northern Illinois, where it is very humid in the summer. Never noticed this on my 08.

Keep a close eye on your coolant levels. Sounds like a leak to me. Probably onto your exhaust manifold. I don't think "condensation" would last 2 seconds on our manifolds.

I have about 200 miles on my GT500, three times now I have noticed smoke coming from the drivers side front wheel, while sitting at a red lights, I had Ford look into this and they stated it is because of condensation gathering above the exhaust manifold. Has anyone else had this experience? I live in Las Vegas, NV where we have very little humidity,

Thanks

Richard

I live in Vegas, moved here in March. I have 500 miles on my car, 300 from MI, 200 from Nevada. Never seen any smoke or steam from my car. PM me your location, would be nice to hook up and share car ideas!

I am taking it back in today, there are a couple pipes located by the firewall on the Driver's side. Both pipes are covered with drops of moisture falling on the exhaust manifold. I am sure this has something to do with the air conditioning. It looks like the car is on fire with the smoke coming from under the hood, this happens about every other red light. More later

Richard

We all need to be aware of the clamps used to secure all the hoses for the cooling system. Those spring clamps are not the greatest. I have a small leak under a heavy load (read: Hard accel) and it's only a drop or two. I'm keeping a close eye on it until i find clamps that i'll use to replace the factory spring clamps.

We all need to be aware of the clamps used to secure all the hoses for the cooling system. Those spring clamps are not the greatest. I have a small leak under a heavy load (read: Hard accel) and it's only a drop or two. I'm keeping a close eye on it until i find clamps that i'll use to replace the factory spring clamps.

Live in Louisiana humidy is the king never had that problem!!!

I am taking it back in today, there are a couple pipes located by the firewall on the Driver's side. Both pipes are covered with drops of moisture falling on the exhaust manifold. I am sure this has something to do with the air conditioning. It looks like the car is on fire with the smoke coming from under the hood, this happens about every other red light. More later

Richard

Yeah, I could see the A/C drips causing some steam . If that is the condensation then it makes sense.

I took my car back to Ford; I met with the Service Foreman and again explained the situation. He examined the car and again told me that the two aluminum pipes (please see attachment) will get very cold and collect any humidity in the air and this will eventually freeze on the pipes. Apparently at red lights, the heat from the exhaust melts the ice and causes the smoke (steam) that I am complaining about. Please see the picture.

Any comments, I think the cooling system is low and causing this problem. Ford states that the air is cool and the air conditioner is working correctly.

Thanks

Richard

I took my car back to Ford; I met with the Service Foreman and again explained the situation. He examined the car and again told me that the two aluminum pipes (please see attachment) will get very cold and collect any humidity in the air and this will eventually freeze on the pipes. Apparently at red lights, the heat from the exhaust melts the ice and causes the smoke (steam) that I am complaining about. Please see the picture.

Any comments, I think the cooling system is low and causing this problem. Ford states that the air is cool and the air conditioner is working correctly.

Thanks

Richard

Personally I don't think a few drops of condensation dripping on a manifold would create enough steam to be visible outside the engine compartment. I live in Loisiana and I gaurantee the AC works overtime in this extreme humidity and have never experienced what you are mentioning. Keep and eye on your coolant levels and keep looking the engine compartment and underneath for signs of any leaks.

Good luck.

Kieffer

Thanks

Richard

Am sorry ..what the service foreman said doesn't explain....could you duplicate the problem there? if that is possible i will ask for the ford regional expert to examine it.

Thanks

Richard

Maybe you should take it to a different dealer!

• 1 month later...

I finally convinced Dean Hudkins at Team Ford to put the car on a rack, sure enough an Oil Plug on the left CYL Head was leaking. Well I am glad they found the problem, hopefully the repair does not cause other issues since they had to pull the transmission and move the engine forward (according to the Correction List) to replace the plug.

Time will tell, special thanks to Dean for taking the appropriate steps.

Richard

Thanks for filling us in....I'm in KY where the humidity is second only to tropical forests and have never had such a problem. Condensation from the a/c shouldn't cause any visible "smoke" or steam....had to be something else. Thanks for keeping us posted!

I finally convinced Dean Hudkins at Team Ford to put the car on a rack, sure enough an Oil Plug on the left CYL Head was leaking. Well I am glad they found the problem, hopefully the repair does not cause other issues since they had to pull the transmission and move the engine forward (according to the Correction List) to replace the plug.

Time will tell, special thanks to Dean for taking the appropriate steps.

Richard

Hope they did the TSB when the tranny was out....

No such luck, I had to take the car back, I was having problems shifting to second and third. There was also a popping noise between first and second. Dean drove it around the block and agreed that something was not right. I picked the car up today, according to Dean the linkage was not installed correctly. Right now everything seems to be working. I know some day I will need to confront Ford on the TSB, they don't appear to think this is a problem.

Richard

Archived