TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clear Protective Film ???

Fred G

Was just wondering if anyone out there has ever used any of the paint protection clear film products on their cars, especially over the stripes....I'm thinking of covering the front bumper. I've used Invinca Shield on my Cobra, but that was only behind the wheel openings and not over stripes, and never had any issues. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this..

Fred

Grabber,

I followed the thread on the clear bra install on your car. Very,very nice, and I agree with you about whatever noticeable line on the hood there may or may not be, to be a small price to pay for the protection. One thing though, are your stripes painted on. I thought about this after I posted this thread this morning. Due to the thickness of the stripe, there will be a slight gap where the film passes over the edge of the stripe. I called the installer and asked him about it and he said that I was right; that there would be a slight line visible at that point. I don't know...I'm beginning to rethink this whole deal. And by the way, I like your warranty....very sweet.

Fred

My stripes are not painted on.

The gap you speak of, is so very samll that only you will know it's there.

Let's see ?

Live with small gap ?

Or live with rock chips ? :censored:

No brainer for me !

Hey Fred, while I don't own a Shelby, I do have a 2006 Mustang GT, and had the CDC Classic Chin spoiler covered in a 3M clear bra film. Pretty good job (only a few spots that are really noticable), but if you ever see a Mustang GT with a painted-to-match chin spoiler, they are a stone chip magnet (trust me, I had one already replaced as it cracked, but also has dozens of rock chips) and this coverage is worth the $150 it cost me to do. Now when I go on the highway, its covered.

When I get the new bumper (Shelby GT front bumper) installed over the winter, I may have the car trailered down to a shop in Maryland who does this, and get my new bumper covered. I saw their work on a Mystichrome painted S-197 Mustang at Carlisle this year, and the application was very well done.

Hey Fred, while I don't own a Shelby, I do have a 2006 Mustang GT, and had the CDC Classic Chin spoiler covered in a 3M clear bra film. Pretty good job (only a few spots that are really noticable), but if you ever see a Mustang GT with a painted-to-match chin spoiler, they are a stone chip magnet (trust me, I had one already replaced as it cracked, but also has dozens of rock chips) and this coverage is worth the $150 it cost me to do. Now when I go on the highway, its covered.

When I get the new bumper (Shelby GT front bumper) installed over the winter, I may have the car trailered down to a shop in Maryland who does this, and get my new bumper covered. I saw their work on a Mystichrome painted S-197 Mustang at Carlisle this year, and the application was very well done.

Good choice on covering the painted spoiler. I opted for the semi-flat black for my silver 06 GT. It was easy to install and matched the grille perfectly.

Grabber seems to thing that the gap in the clear film over a tape stripe edge is so minimal that it is not even a consideration. I've never seen one in the flesh so I would have to go with Grabber's assessment. I can say the guy that installs the clear stuff here on Long Island is not bashfull and said he gets $450 for a bumber cover. That's pretty big bucks. I did my own install on the Cobra, but it was only behind the wheel openings which was not complicated like a bumper cover, but still was a piece of cake. ..not sure what to do here.

Fred

Archived