TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hit by flying garbage can today

Long story short. I was driving on interstate 280 about 70 to 75 mph and in front of me is a Ford Ranger with an empty plastic garbage can in the back. Well the wind caught the garbage can and it flew out right into the front of my Shelby. I hit it without it ever touching the ground it then flew up in the air and came down on the front of my hood and put a nice little crease the length of my right stripe on the hood. My front bumper has some nice nicks and paint chips. I went after the guy in the Ranger( 500 hp is good for something) and made him pull over and got all his insurance info. I will have to get bids this week and find out how much damage there is. They will have to replace the hood paint and re stripe the new one. Paint is not that big of deal but I am concerned about putting the stripes on. The bumper we will have to see??? Since it is in the body shop any will see about painting the mirrors and little Sirus antena. Will update with quote. Mike

Ouch! That sucks!

If you ever find yourself coming up behind a Ford Edge do NOT follow behind it! Those throw up rocks from the rear tires and will hit the front of your car or even the windshield!

They have a factory molded mud guard built in on the rear, but they are way to short and everything gets thrown up front under the rear tires. Avoid being behind those at all cost!

I hate it when people do not secure their loads. Not only is it illegal but dangerous. About a year ago my Mom lost a coworker and left a 16 y.o. son on his own because a pickup had a bucket rolling around in the back of his truck that flew out. She instinctively swerved and wrecked her vehicle killing herself. The truck took off.

I hate it when people do not secure their loads. Not only is it illegal but dangerous. About a year ago my Mom lost a coworker and left a 16 y.o. son on his own because a pickup had a bucket rolling around in the back of his truck that flew out. She instinctively swerved and wrecked her vehicle killing herself. The truck took off.

I totally agree with you. I have traveled many miles with and without the Shelby and this seems to be an ever increasing problem; especially on the interstates. These Yahoos who use the bed of their pick-up trucks as a personal garbage can need to understand that they are really creating a dangerous hazzard. Last month I had a flat bed semi eject an unsecured circular metal ring off the bed that hit the Shelby, destroyed the left headlight bucket, and put a big dent in the left fender top. Had it hit the windshield, it would have come through and into the car. This happened on I-95 at 70 plus MPH and I had no opportunity to avoid the hit. It happened that fast.The car was repaired and is fine, but it is an indicator that we all need to be VERY conscious of following trucks of any kind on the highways and being mindful that we now live in a society of irresponsible people who could care less, or are too stupid to understand the ramifications or their actions. Just one more click on the slow degradation of this country.

I've seen a few that, to me anyway, seem to intentionally lose stuff out of their pickups just to get rid of it and not pay someone to haul it away. Its a real shame when that happens.

That sucks. At least you were able to catch up to him. I intentionally leave a ton of room between myself and the vehicle in front of me, exactly for this reason. About 15 years ago, I had a friend hit a muffler and tail pipe that was lying in the road and ended up flipping his vehicle. I hope you're able to get your vehicle back to new condition without any issues.

People walking on the highway picking up lawn chairs that flew out of their pickup caused a semi to lose control, he t-boned a Denali, nearly killed me, and then I nearly ran over their kids standing on the side of the road as I went cross-country (this was the '65 F-100, not the Shelby). The lady in the Denali was okay, the semi-trailer caught fire (from the brake heat), and I-285 was closed for rush hour in Atlanta.

The family finished picking up the lawn chairs and drove away.

I'm glad you caught the guy. Check with the local traffic enforcement and see if you can file a traffic charge against him. Normally, if you can ID the person in court, they will enforce a fine - I did that once upon a time.

Try making lemonade out of lemons on this one. Since you have to restripe and paint the hood and probably paint the front bumper, get a quote to paint all the stripes. You would only have to pay the differential since the insurance company will be responsible for restriping the hood and bumper already.

Try making lemonade out of lemons on this one. Since you have to restripe and paint the hood and probably paint the front bumper, get a quote to paint all the stripes. You would only have to pay the differential since the insurance company will be responsible for restriping the hood and bumper already.

GOOD point. I just got my Mach1 back from the body shop. Originally I asked them to quote on painting on the stripes. Was going to cost more than I wanted to spend so I told them to just go with the vinyl. Well, when they went to order the new vinyl from Ford, it had gone WAY up in price - so much so that they ended up doing the paint instead - at a wash for me (nothing out of pocket). You will have a lot more paint involved of course (over the whole car), but the painted on ones (under clear coat) look SOOOO much better than vinyl. Worth asking about for sure :)

Page

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. The Denver Newspaper ran a story a few months ago about this ever increasing problem and some of the examples they described were amazing (washing machines, TVs, stuff like that ending up in the middle of highway). Last week I followed, about five car lengths back, a truck pulling an uncovered, low-walled trailer full of shovels, and other unsecured gear, bouncing all over the place.

I, too, if in this situation would look into paint instead of vinyl.

Hope you get your Shelby fixed soon!

Cc

Is it me only partial to vinyl....If you look at it from a different angle it is better protection to the original paint and easy to put on whenever they have problems...they look nice with the slight elevation from their thickness...(3D look) and heck consider it a clear bra but not so clear.

A couple of years ago I had a close call of that kind. Following a pickup in my street rod, they had a couch in the back. It was quite windy and we were traveling about 70 MPH. I just laid back a ways to watch, went under an overpass and I guess the wind was intensified a little because the couch lifted, landed on it's legs and continued on down the road until it just slid off to the side. It sat there and the truck just continued on it's way. I wouldn't be too surprised if they had no clue the thing was gone!

You would all be astonished by the DOT statistics of how many people are killed, maimed, or otherwise injured by improperly or not-at-all secured loads that fly out of both semi and light trucks. The problem is mostly caused by the negligence by the owners of light trucks, the professional truckers usually loose their loads due to some sort of mechanical defect (tie down failure, etc.)

My 1982 Mustang 5.0 LX had its right front A-arm, shock absorber, spindle, brake caliper, and TRX wheel and Michelin tire destroyed when I ran over a Muncie 4-speed transmission that had fallen out of the back of a pickup truck that was transporting it unsecured and without a tailgate. And I wasn’t the only person that hit it either. There were six of us parked on the side of the freeway before the C.H.P. could do a traffic break in order to get the transmission out of the traffic lanes. It happened on a dark, poorly lit part of the 405 Freeway so the transmission was very difficult to see until it was too late. But I’ll tell you that the impact sounded like an explosion which was compounded by the car lurching up about three feet in the air.

And to give you an idea of how big of a chowder head the transmission’s owner was, he actually doubled back; pulled over behind the six cars he damaged and proceeded to chew everyone of us out for destroying his transmission! The critical mistake on his part for taking that action was that he did not see the C.H.P. officer standing about 50 feet away listening to his rant. He was promptly asked to provide all of us his insurance information, and when he couldn’t, the officer cited him for no insurance, throwing a projectile from a moving vehicle, put him in the back of his cruiser, and then impounded his truck.

$1,600.00 dollars and one week later my car was repaired and back on the road. Since that incident, I NEVER follow behind a truck that has a load in it, secured or otherwise. And how about this one... has anyone ever seen a moron driving a sedan while he and his passenger are holding on (no ropes) to a mattress that’s sitting on the roof of the car? That’s another one to avoid following at all costs.

I'm glad that you were not injured by the flying can, and thank goodness it was plastic!

Long story short. I was driving on interstate 280 about 70 to 75 mph and in front of me is a Ford Ranger with an empty plastic garbage can in the back. Well the wind caught the garbage can and it flew out right into the front of my Shelby. I hit it without it ever touching the ground it then flew up in the air and came down on the front of my hood and put a nice little crease the length of my right stripe on the hood. My front bumper has some nice nicks and paint chips. I went after the guy in the Ranger( 500 hp is good for something) and made him pull over and got all his insurance info. I will have to get bids this week and find out how much damage there is. They will have to replace the hood paint and re stripe the new one. Paint is not that big of deal but I am concerned about putting the stripes on. The bumper we will have to see??? Since it is in the body shop any will see about painting the mirrors and little Sirus antena. Will update with quote. Mike

Ouch ..... i feel the pain. Only damage to my shelby is self inflicted .... but its minimal.

Real sorry to hear that and yes .. thats one of my concerns too ... following trucks with stuff in the bed .. small and large

Hope you get it all handled and smart thinking about getting the truck to pull over

Sorry to hear about your car bud :( Good luck with getting it fixed, hopefully it all works out for you.

Here is a something I saw, and have never heard anyone else say they have seen something like it:

I was driving on the 91 freeway, and noticed this old POS chevy cavalier in front of me swerving slightly. Not wanting to be behind it, I sped up past it, and what I saw when I was passing it blew me away. The cavalier was being towed by another car that was in even worse condition that it was. They had sandwiched a tire in between the bumpers of the two cars, and DUCT TAPED IT ALL TOGETHER!

First thanks to everyone for your sympathy on my bad luck. I did get a bid today from a great shop that I know. $3100. He does not want to replace the hood, paint and stripe the new one. He said it is near impossible to get it perfect on the inside of the hood in and around the bolt area's. He said he has a new machine that works great for aluminum. I may consider painting the stripes and paying the difference. If the stripes are laid on well they look pretty good and seem to be pretty durable. I will think about it a little more. I also think it depends on color combs. Mine vista blue with white stripes the stripes look pretty good. some of the darker strips seem to show more flaws but do look good when done right. White is just more forgiving. Updates to follow. Mike

First thanks to everyone for your sympathy on my bad luck. I did get a bid today from a great shop that I know. $3100. He does not want to replace the hood, paint and stripe the new one. He said it is near impossible to get it perfect on the inside of the hood in and around the bolt area's. He said he has a new machine that works great for aluminum. I may consider painting the stripes and paying the difference. If the stripes are laid on well they look pretty good and seem to be pretty durable. I will think about it a little more. I also think it depends on color combs. Mine vista blue with white stripes the stripes look pretty good. some of the darker strips seem to show more flaws but do look good when done right. White is just more forgiving. Updates to follow. Mike

Good luck Mike and very soon this cloud will pass by and you will be back to enjoy this great car...Keep us posted.

I have the same color combo and am waiting on a "strikeoff" of white with a touch of pearl (metallic). The tungsten stripes (and maybe others) have a metallic flake in them that really looks good in the sun. It might be cool to do that with the white stripes, but I'd have to see a sample first. Just something else to consider if you go the painted route.

Just curious which part of 280? I drive that freeway alot between Los Altos and San Francisco generally that freeway is not as bad with road debris like 101 is.

Also in 1995 I saw a lady get killed on 237 by a mattress that had fallen out of a pickup truck. I dont know if you are familiar with Grant road(El Camino hospital is on this road) in Mountain View. Grant road turns into 237 East and after you cross El Camino there is debris on a daily basis. I guess since cars start getting up to speed on this stretch stuff flies out of the back of trucks constantly.

So back to the story I was on 237 and there was a lady in a new 94-95 T bird next to me. I sped up in my 94 4-runner and got into the fast lane and saw a mattress in the middle of the road. I just swerved around it no big deal. For some reason I decided to look in my rear view and saw the t-bird hit the mattress and it got sucked into her right front wheel well. I geuss the inertia caused the car to start cart-wheeling end over end about four times then it landed on the roof caving it in instantley killing the lady.

The owners of the mattress were in the truck on the side of the road trying to retrieve it and witnessed this whole incident. CHP had the freeway cleared in a little over an hour.

Remember it could have been worse.

I was driving home from Boulder and there was some loose firewood in the middle of the road. I was able to get around or over it with my truck - no problem. (It's a good thing I didn't have the Shelby because the snowplow attachment wouldn't have been able to clear the roadway).

Anyway, I called the sheriff to have them clear the road - there was enough traffic I didn't feel comfortable trying to do it and people were swerving into the oncoming lane (instead of into the bike lane, no bikes at that time).

So I get close to Lyons and there is a pickup with firewood stacked over the top at the light going left with me. A sheriff was turning from west to south, flipped the U-turn and pulled the guy over. It was probably his wood. I'm sure he got a ticket for an uncovered load. GOOD!

On a lighter side, many years ago we were moving my aunt. She said her clothes would be fine in the dresser and wasn't concerned about the drawers coming open. Well lo and behold they did come open and we scattered unmentionables down the side of the highway for about 1 mile. As we were walking the road picking them up a car passed us with a pair of her "granny panties" wrapped around the antenna waving like a flag! She was so embarassed.......

Archived