TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally Started Whipple Super Charger Install

Well, they finally started my Shelby FRPP Whipple SC install yesterday. I was over there, I'm sure their already tired of seeing me, and took some shots of the initial tear down. They are still waiting on my Intercoller manifold and crossover to get back from the powder coater. I guess they are having some problems getting the coating perfect and my shop, Tampa Bay Shelby, won't take it until it is perfect. Good for me. Once they get those parts back then they will be ready to complete the install. One good thing is that they are very pleased with the completeness of the FRPP SC kit as it comes from Ford and Shelby. Looks like everything necessary is there and of good quality. I know that I'm happy with the way it looks. Here are some photos of it now and I'll post more everyday as the build gets further along.

Top of the motor removed

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

Powder Coated Valve Cover. Not as flashy as chrome but more like polished aluminum, should look good with the black SC

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

Here's what I really would like to have put on my motor, they said they could do it but it wouldn't be cheap. Some day I will

IMG_8118.jpg

or maybe this. This bad boy sounds incredible when they fired it up. Nothing like a 427 with dual quads and a big cam to make a statement

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

It's like being a kid in a candy store at this shop. They are all aluminum Cobras. I know I'm in good hands at this shop

IMG_8121.jpg

Anyway, that's it for today. I'll post more tomorrow and as the install progresses.

Don

Dunedindon#5481,

Let us know how they work and if you are satisfied because i am looking to do this mod eventually.

I live in north east FL and i do not know good shop here.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting the pics and keep us updated. I am anxious to hear your 'first drive' impressions. I have been thinking about doing this mod and possibly installing it myself.

BTW, the coolant hose that is resting on the blue rag in the valley between the cylinder banks make a real mess if the forget to hook it up! My Mustang left the factory with that hose loose / disconnected and it made a complete mess of that engine bay and underside of the car. It really ruined the delivery day of my Mustang.

Don,

You are always a step ahead of me. First the CS69's, now the Super-charger. I may have to wait and make it a winter job at this point, money on the little mods has been adding up and kind of told the wife I would get her the new bedroom furniture this summer.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Don,

You are always a step ahead of me. First the CS69's, now the Super-charger. I may have to wait and make it a winter job at this point, money on the little mods has been adding up and kind of told the wife I would get her the new bedroom furniture this summer.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Yes, trying to stay 1 step ahead of the competition. That's the goal.

To tell you the truth, taking into account the time it took to get the SC from Shelby and the installation process, if you start now you just might have it done by winter. It took almost 6 weeks to get the SC from Shelby and, as I'm learning nothing happens quick, it's taken almost 3 weeks to install. Now to be fair, I had them powder coat the manifold/intercoller and radiator crossover and the coater is having issues getting it to look right. I'll be looking forward to seeing it done myself and to see how she runs with the new found power. I'll keep posting pictures as things get completed.

Yes, trying to stay 1 step ahead of the competition. That's the goal.

To tell you the truth, taking into account the time it took to get the SC from Shelby and the installation process, if you start now you just might have it done by winter. It took almost 6 weeks to get the SC from Shelby and, as I'm learning nothing happens quick, it's taken almost 3 weeks to install. Now to be fair, I had them powder coat the manifold/intercoller and radiator crossover and the coater is having issues getting it to look right. I'll be looking forward to seeing it done myself and to see how she runs with the new found power. I'll keep posting pictures as things get completed.

I have been waiting on the approval on the whipple for the 08s and Iam getting a little tired of waiting. Are there any other options like Kenne Bell and still keeping my factory warranty? Am I correct in assuming that it has to be a frpp sc and dealer installed to retain my warranty? And I am also leary of having it installed by a dealer in any case. It will also have to be a roots system 5psi boost.

Jeff

Well, I was down at the shop today and they were busily working away on my SGT. Here are a couple updated picts with the cam covers on and the installation of the Whipple going along nicely. I'm really getting ready to see it finished. They are one hell of a shop. They are working on lots of special touches that will clean up the install and make it mine. I'll keep posting picts as things progress.

Powder coated cam covers and radiator crossover installed.

IMG_8129-1.jpg

Blower on and getting tightened down.

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

A nice old school channeled 32 that they were going to be installing a mechanical fuel injection. Fred restores them to period correct. One of the few who do.

IMG_8133.jpg

Nice close up that shows the powder coated intercoller manifold and the polished fuel rails.

IMG_8134.jpg

I'm really getting ready to see how this thing is going to run.

Don

Me too Jeff this is bs. From what I understand Kenne Bell is ready and they are top notch also. Roush has one too but I prefer Kenne Belle or Whipple whomever is first. I will know Monday if Kenne Belle 2.6L is ready in stock to ship out. This cert, pricing and waiting parts for months is :fan::censored::soapbox::banghead:

I have been waiting on the approval on the whipple for the 08s and Iam getting a little tired of waiting. Are there any other options like Kenne Bell and still keeping my factory warranty? Am I correct in assuming that it has to be a frpp sc and dealer installed to retain my warranty? And I am also leary of having it installed by a dealer in any case. It will also have to be a roots system 5psi boost.

Jeff

What are you going to use for a shock tower brace? I guess you don't need one if you don't plan on driving hard into a corner. I've waited for parts for my SGT and GT500 since Feb. I finally ordered about $3 grand of steering and suspension from STEEDA to finish where FORD left off in building the GT 500. It now handles as well as the SGT in curves. Eleven days ago, the WHIPPLE was ordered (intercooled version) but found it shipped from the left coast. Maybe tomorrow. If a brace cannot be fit, back it goes and the KB will ship from the left coast. I know the brace will fit. I think SHELBY is also using KB for their 500 HO engines.

Oh one thing you might consider is the change to a wideband A/F gage if you put in the SHELBY pod. The carbon fiber (CF) gages they sell doesn't include this meter. If you order a CF gage it only comes in narrow band type and not usable in real time when you are driving your car. There is a way to convert a narrow band to wide band, however it still uses the same narrow gage face w/o a digital face (cost $190). Also it appears all the Autometer AF gages are 2 1/16", Shelby sells the pod with 2 5/8" hole, so you have to punch your own and buy the no holes pod. I had the Cobalt install with black faces and blue light that matches the dash setup. I used the wideband A/F. 30"vac/20#boost, and engine oil pressure (electric).

So if you know of a brace (without lowering the engine) that allows the use of a brace let me know. I've used the SEARCH feature here and made calls but don't have and answer. I will not have a car the isn't balanced. I'm still waiting for SHEBLY to make good on there suspension updates in their catalog. But STEEDA makes good stuff (adjustable coil over and the like). Hope this helps if you want to know what is going on with your engine all the time and not depend on an idiot light. Lean fuel will burn one up fast, but maybe there is not bad gas, or the wrong fuel in the tank at your fill up station.....happy motoring

Highflights-Asheville, NC

Highflight,

Been all over the shock tower brace. Get ready to send the Whipple back. Nothing fits without fabrication. The SC case is higher on the Whipple by 1 3/8" if I remember correctly. There is your clearance. The cold air tube and throttle body hit the hood linner. I'm running the CS hood and the underside needed to be cut for the SC to fit. I have seen the Ford Racing GT500 strut tower brace modified to fit the SGT but it also required under hood support brace modification. It is not a cheap fix. Some have installed billet engine mounts to lower by 1" to gain clearance.

It you find a solution, please let us Whipple guys know.

My 3,500 th post. I need to get a life. :lol:

Roger

To each, his own, I guess.

Forget that, your KB is a top notch unit and it is as good or better than the Whipple. Only reason I didn't seriously consider the KB was because it wasn't offered by Shelby at the time I ordered my Whipple. If it was, it would have been a very difficult decision. Both are, forget that, all of the SCs offered are great in their own way and it's strictly a matter of personal choice. How great is it that there are 3 or more top notch choices that we get to discuss (argue) about. This is a great thing not an issue. We are very lucky to have the luxury of having any choices much less 3 or 4 great SC choices and another batch of Turbos to decide upon. How could it be any better. I know that I appreciate all of the SCs I have seen installed and would be proud to call any of them my own.

Don

Archived