TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Send In The Clones!

JeffIsHereToo

Had to happen sooner or later , speaks for itself....the owner told me that he didn't want all the other stuff so just got the "Shelby GT Appearance Package" on his new 08'.

It's not even a good clone! Adding insult to injury...he won a trophy!

:finger:

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the 69/70 Shelby's too but I'm not about to make a clone of one so I can have one. It's just not the same to me. I don't get that thought process of reproducing a car that's already in production. I'm all for modding a car to make it what you want, but if you wanted a Shelby GT or a GT500 then go buy one. I've seen the Shelby GT's for $26k already with about 10k miles on them so it's not like they are priced out of range and the GT500's are starting to come down too. I see quite a few GT500 clones out there too now for sale.

I love the 69/70 Shelby's too but I'm not about to make a clone of one so I can have one. It's just not the same to me. I don't get that thought process of reproducing a car that's already in production. I'm all for modding a car to make it what you want, but if you wanted a Shelby GT or a GT500 then go buy one. I've seen the Shelby GT's for $26k already with about 10k miles on them so it's not like they are priced out of range and the GT500's are starting to come down too. I see quite a few GT500 clones out there too now for sale.

Been there done that, I bought an 07 gt and I started on a cloning process but in the back of your mind you still have to tell yourself it is still a clone. Like you said I bought my shelby gt for 26,998 with 5000 miles and got a 100,000 mile warranty cheaper than you can get a new 08 premium gt for. I had been looking for one for about are year and Bam found one in GA. I can rest a lot easier now knowing I have a Shelby and did not have to clone one!

Had to happen sooner or later , speaks for itself....the owner told me that he didn't want all the other stuff so just got the "Shelby GT Appearance Package" on his new 08'.

A trophy for what? Best Halloween themed clone? That's not even close to "Shelby GT appearance"

You should have looked at the owner...pointed at his car and laughed loudly saying "Oh wait you misspelled the name it should be a W-A-N-A-BY GT” or laughed loudly saying "Hahahahah, WTF is that???” :hysterical:

I could see an older car cloning process to get back the nostalgia of a rare look but a newly manufactured affordable and accessible Shelby GT to be cheaply cloned <barffff>

One of my long term projects is my 66 Fairlane. Right now it is a 289 C-4 XL500.

It will be a CLONE. 427 Failane. So what is wrong with that?

Me personally when you are talking about cloning a 42 year old car that is totally different IMAO. That is a car you can no longer get or probably be very hard to find! That alone man is a piece of history!

Also how can a dealership sale a clone would that not be misrepresentation?

Why wouldn't or shouldn't a dealer be able to clone one? How is any different than selling a SGT, Rousch, Saleen or any other after market conversion??? Aren't those all just some form of a cloned GT Mustang?

It would only be misrepresentation if you tried advertising it as a real Shelby or trying to sell it as a real Shelby. Advertising and selling it for what it is is in no way, shape or form misrepresentation.

It is what it is and it was sold for exactly what it was. A GT Mustang with a Shelby GT500 appearence package. Not even really a clone. Legally you can't advertise it as a clone unless it is a real clone which involves changing out every single part that comes on the real Shelby. Not just the appearance parts only. A REAL clone would involved changing the motor, trans, suspension, brakes, dash gauges, etc. Not just the appearance alone. So unless is 100% duplicated by changing out 100% of all parts internally and exterior, you can't legally advertise as a clone. That would be misrepresentation. We advertised it for exactly what it was. A GT Mustang with a GT500 appearance package. So where would the misrepresentation be in that???

We advertised it for exactly what it was. A GT Mustang with a GT500 appearance package. So where would the misrepresentation be in that???

Where I think many have an issue is this. We all know it takes a while to understand how to recognize what is and what is not a real Shelby. And many folks out there just do not know the difference. It is not that there is anything illegal about it but that begs the question of "why?"

When you put the name "Shelby" on something, that should carry with it a certain thing being true, i.e., that the car is a car that Mr. Shelby authorized to exist, whether built at Flat Rock or Las Vegas or wherever. I suspect we would all agree that if you asked Mr. Shelby what he thought of what your dealership sold, he would think it was not "right," separate and apart from whether it is legal.

This topic can be debated forever but most are going to think that the name "Shelby" should not be slapped on anything that is not the genuine article, whether it is slapped on at a dealer or in someone's garage. My two cents.

Jim

Me personally when you are talking about cloning a 42 year old car that is totally different IMAO. That is a car you can no longer get or probably be very hard to find! That alone man is a piece of history!

At this point it would not be cost effective to clone one unless you already owned a new mustang where it was paid for and you did not want to spend $45K - $48K on a real one.

When these were bringing high ADM's it was very cost effective to clone one if you just wanted the look. If just wanted the look you saved $10K - $30K by buying a regular GT Mustang and cloning it VS paying for a real one.

You could still save $8k - $10K cloning one VS paying MSRP for a real one. It cost about $8,500 to clone one the way we did.

With rebates on the regular GT Mustang you can clone one and still be under $35K invested.

Here is a perfect example:

This is a brand new Torch Red GT Premium Mustang.

MSRP $29,300

Invoice $27,414

Rebates $2,000

Owner Loyalty $2,000

Cost to buy $23,414 + $8,500 to clone = $31,914 invested.

Comparable equipped GT500 MSRP $44,570

$44,570 - $31,914 = $12,565 less!

=======================================

GT Premium Coupe

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $27,420

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 140A-PREM GT COU

GT REAR DECKLID SPOILER

AM/FM STEREO/6-CD IN DASH/M

17" PREMIUM PAINTED CAST AL

SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

POWER 6-WAY DRIVER'S SEAT

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

TORCH RED CLEARCOAT

DARK CHARCOAL LEATHER

.4.6L 3V OHC V8 ENGINE

.5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

.P235/55/ZR17 A/S TIRE

JOB #2 ORDER

INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE 460

SATIN ALUMINUM PANEL

ACTIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM 325

3.55 RATIO LIMITED SLIP AXLE 300

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 28,505

DESTINATION & DELIVERY 795

TOTAL MSRP $29,300

========================================

GT 500 Coupe

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $41,930

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 820A-SHELBY COUP

P255/45/R18 FRT 285/40R18 R

SHELBY REAR DECKLID SPOILER

SHELBY INTERIOR PACKAGE

OVER-THE-TOP RACING STRIPE

AM/FM STEREO/6-CD IN DASH/M

18" BRIGHT MACHINED ALUM WH

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

TORCH RED CLEARCOAT

BLACK W/BLACK ACCENT LTHR

.5.4L SC 4V V8 ENGINE

.6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

*** GAS GUZZLER TAX *** 1,300

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

MUSTANG VPC SHIP THRU

50 STATE EMISSIONS

GT500 PREMIUM TRIM PACKAGE 595

EBONY TAPE STRIPE

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 43,825

DESTINATION & DELIVERY 745

TOTAL MSRP $44,570

==================================

For some $12,500 can be all the difference in the world that makes this car affordable or not. That is the difference of about $250 month in payments. So for those that just love the look and can't afford to pay $44,570, getting a clone for only $31,914 could be a much better alternative for those buyers. Yes?

Where I think many have an issue is this. We all know it takes a while to understand how to recognize what is and what is not a real Shelby. And many folks out there just do not know the difference. It is not that there is anything illegal about it but that begs the question of "why?"

When you put the name "Shelby" on something, that should carry with it a certain thing being true, i.e., that the car is a car that Mr. Shelby authorized to exist, whether built at Flat Rock or Las Vegas or wherever. I suspect we would all agree that if you asked Mr. Shelby what he thought of what your dealership sold, he would think it was not "right," separate and apart from whether it is legal.

This topic can be debated forever but most are going to think that the name "Shelby" should not be slapped on anything that is not the genuine article, whether it is slapped on at a dealer or in someone's garage. My two cents.

Jim

So he would feel exactly the same way about the thousands of clones made on the mustangs from the 60's and the clones that Barret-Jackson sells that bring big bucks???

And it DOES have a "certain thing being true" which is the LOOK if done correctly.

As for people that have an issue of just being able to tell by seeing one going down the road, well that is their problem. LOL Get over it! And those that just don't know, then why would they even care about something they know nothing about??? This is just lame excuses for those that have a personal hang up over this using other people as a lame excuse to justify their personal issues over this. Those people need to speak for themselves, not what they assume other people may have an issue with.

I own a real shelby. I don't have a problem with anyone that clones one nor any dealers that clone one. Whatever floats their boat! As long as they are not to rip someone off by trying to pass it off as being real merely to get more money out of it. Which appears to be a problem with some of the older cars from the 60's.

Jim

BTW....it does NOT take a WHILE to recognize a real Shelby from a clone. It takes TWO SECONDS to recognize. The vin will tell you that, being a 5-Speed VS 6-Speed will tell you that.

Now the SGT won't tell you by the vin, but you can tell by the hood scoop since you can't buy that, it will tell you by the CSM numbers, since you can't buy those.

And I personally could careless about being able to tell right away unless I were interested in buying that particular car. Otherwise, who cares??? I think to many people have to much personal hang ups over this. Who cares!!! If you know anything about these cars then you know the difference. If you don't, why would you care about something you know nothing about???

As long as they are not to rip someone off by trying to pass it off as being real merely to get more money out of it. Which appears to be a problem with some of the older cars from the 60's.

Man, In my opinion that truely is an excellent point, this is were the clone for looks and love of nostalgic cars vs. clone for cash argument is to be or could be made...

I hope he got a "cloned" trophy. Just my .02, but maybe it's time for a "clone" class at car shows...at least call it what it is....

I was thinking about the same thing as far as having a class for clones. But I don't think enough show up at any given car show to justify a seperate class for these. But that would be cool to have a class for that. Not just Shelby clones, but all clones grouped into one class where they can be judged on the quality of their clone.

I was thinking about the same thing as far as having a class for clones. But I don't think enough show up at any given car show to justify a seperate class for these. But that would be cool to have a class for that. Not just Shelby clones, but all clones grouped into one class where they can be judged on the quality of their clone.

exactly my point...most would probably not show if they had to put in a "clone" class...might help to cut out some of the cloning......I know there are a lot of "honest" cloners...you know, the one's that are right up front...the one's that get me are the ones that come to shows and want to play cat and mouse w/ the truth. It my be flattery, but I still don't like it....time to take a deep breath..

BTW....it does NOT take a WHILE to recognize a real Shelby from a clone. It takes TWO SECONDS to recognize. The vin will tell you that, being a 5-Speed VS 6-Speed will tell you that.

Now the SGT won't tell you by the vin, but you can tell by the hood scoop since you can't buy that, it will tell you by the CSM numbers, since you can't buy those.

And I personally could careless about being able to tell right away unless I were interested in buying that particular car. Otherwise, who cares??? I think to many people have to much personal hang ups over this. Who cares!!! If you know anything about these cars then you know the difference. If you don't, why would you care about something you know nothing about???

I think you missed my point, Shelbydude. That and you seem to be pretty senstive on the subect. Best to just let this one die.

Jim

I think you missed my point, Shelbydude. That and you seem to be pretty senstive on the subect. Best to just let this one die.

Jim

I'm not sensitive at all. It doesn't bother me a bit that some people clone their cars. I think the people that are bothered by it are the ones that are sensitive.

Bottom line, it all has to do with the love of cars. Those that can afford the real ones that cost more but them. Those that can't afford them but can afford to clone them, clone them because they love the looks. They love their cars.

It just appears to me that the ones that have and can afford, and have issues with cloning, seem to be hung up more on bragging rights that they have more than someone else and don't like it when they choose a more affordable alternative to have a car they can make look like the car they wished they could afford.

Sure, there will be some that try to fool people by claiming they have the real deal, but anyone that knows about these cars knows better, So who cares? If someone wants to lie to themselves and get their kicks out of trying to pass what they have as being real, who cares? As long as they are not selling it by passing it off as real in an attempt to get more money out of it and ripping someone off, then it does not bother me at all. Most people will be up front and honest about it. Some won't. Do we need more laws to prevent cloning of cars because of that?

Look at the companies taking 67 - 68 mustangs and building eleanor cars out of them. Are those REAL Shelbys? Of course not. But they bring $100K + to have one made and people buy them because they love the look. I wish I could have one of those. Real, clone, or not, I love the look of that car and to me it is one of the best looking 67 - 68 mustangs of all time!

I've seen some clone their GT Mustangs into Shelby GT350's. Yet a lot of people here praise those saying what a geat job some of them did on it. Why is that? Because they don't have a REAL Shelby GT350 out yet on the new body style? Will they change their mind after a real GT350 comes out?

It's all about the love of cars and nothing more. Some people appear to be sensitive about for whatever reason. Cloning has been around for DECADES and it always will be around. Nothing anyone can do about it. So why all the sudden issues over the new mustangs being cloned? There are more cloned Shelbys from the 60's they Shelby made. Maybe that has a part to do with the real Shelbys being so valuable after all these years? What if they never made all those clones? Would the Shelbys still have as much attention and interest they carried all these years? Dunno, but possibly. So who knows? Maybe the more clones that pop up the more valuable the real ones will become in the future? They say history always repeats itself and the history of these cars involves more clones than real ones that were ever built. Seems we need to keep that part of the history going if anyone would like to see history repeat itself in 30 years from now. Maybe?

Jim

Exactly, that was what I was getting at by having the shelby badge on it. I guess I should have been more specific, thanks. I don't have a problem with cloning, I started to clone my other 07 myself but I wanted a real shelby because of the tradition and what it means to the have a piece of history to pass down to my son hopefully.

That's just wrong :nonono:

Jim

Archived