TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Show us your stripes!

RogerS

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roger said I could be part of the club. Im going to REDO the second stripe. Just couldnt do it today. Wanted to get them on and see what they looked like.

michael morris

Picture098.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Michael,

Congratulations, your the first SS with "fender stripes" :happy feet:

Roger

That looks great!! I would be open to opinion here as I have no idea on placement for the Terlingua decal. I was just going to go with the traditional location. . . . but after seeing that picture, I may decide to place it lower.

Anyone else have any suggestions?? Thank you for posting that photo shop picture!! That helps a lot!

Trevor

Well if you go silver then I will have to go yellow. What is it going to look like if we both show up at the same party wearing the same thing? That would be so embarrasing. :D

Well played! I wouldn't want people mistaking our cars for one another!

does anyone have pictures on a white car with silver FIA stripes ? I haven't decided on what color to use, silver to be subtle or red to stand out.

Thanks, Don

Don,

pottydr is installing his silver on white this week. When he sends me pictures I will post them up.

Roger

I went to a killer cruise Saturday in Golden, Colorado. Thousands of cars there, you couldn't have seen them all if you tried. I got lots of comments on my fender stripes, many good, some lukewarm. Some people obviously didn't like them, which is ok, and no one was rude about it. I did have some smart alec in a lawn chair watching the procession of cars compliment me on my "Corvette stripes". I know the Grand Sport Corvette had a similar color scheme, blue with white stripes and red fender stripes, but when did they do this? Wasn't that a blatant copy of the color/striping from the 60's Cobras? Or did Chevy do it first?

1996 Chevrolet made a Grand Sport tribute limited edition and placed the red stripes on the left front fender.

Don't know who was first but I have it on good source that in the 60's they were placed on the fender of a Cobra driven by Pete Brock in the pits with a rattle can. That's how it all started.

And you will have that. Some like them some do not. Other's sit in their lawn chair wishing they had your car with the "Corvette Stripes". :lol:

Got my Stripes!! Now I'm waiting on the Terlingua Decals!!

OFF TOPIC: New Lower Grille Insert, and Clear Signals make cameo appearences also!

157.jpg

162.jpg

154.jpg

149.jpg

Thank You Roger "Spider Man" !!!!

Treavor, That looks AWESOME!!! Congrats on the lower grille too!

If there are a Dozen of the "Fender Stripe Club" Members who want to participate, then maybe we should put together a 12-month Calendar...

Especially since there are a couple of each color SGT and some assorted GT500's as well...

Gregg

07SGT0547

Edit: Make it a Baker's Dozen (13) and we can put Roger's Car on the Cover :shift:

SWEDEMAN: Silver on Black is damn sharp!! You know, I don't think you can go wrong with silver on any color!

Not trying to spend your $$$ - but I think it would be unique to have a black car, silver stripes, with clear signals and rear side markers.

In a picture, it would almost look like it was a black and white photo accept for the dash of red and blue from the PBF emblems.

Seeing your SGT with the Chrome Razors makes me dread the day when I have to make up my mind on wheels for my SGT!

MM: Your Super Snake with the black stripes looks AWESOME!! I think the Black stripes are the right choice!

Now if we could just get all of us together at the same time, in the same parking lot . . . . . That would be one hell of a day!

07SGT0547: A Calendar you say? That might not be a bad idea (or the next best thing to all of us being in the same parking lot)

We all seem to have fairly respectable cameras and some sort of genius talent using them. . . . . . I like the idea!

Carl (Motojock205): Thank you for the compliments! I'm just trying to keep up with you man!

If there are a Dozen of the "Fender Stripe Club" Members who want to participate, then maybe we should put together a 12-month Calendar...

Especially since there are a couple of each color SGT and some assorted GT500's as well...

Gregg

07SGT0547

Edit: Make it a Baker's Dozen (13) and we can put Roger's Car on the Cover :shift:

A calendar would be a GREAT idea!!! Of course, by the time we finally get around to it, it'll need to be a 24 month calendar...LOL

Do these fender stripes have a history, like on old racing Shelby's or something? Sorry in advance for my ignorance. Also, if this question has already been asked & answered in this thread, just tell me so and I'll find it. I just didn't want to read through the whole thing in my limited morning time! :lol:

Do these fender stripes have a history, like on old racing Shelby's or something? Sorry in advance for my ignorance. Also, if this question has already been asked & answered in this thread, just tell me so and I'll find it. I just didn't want to read through the whole thing in my limited morning time! :lol:

Here ya go.........

In the early days of FIA and SCCA, team cars would be painted similar colors. The fender stripes were a means of identification when the cars would be zipping down the front straight at over 120 MPH. This was prior to 2-way radio communication and when the pit crew would stand at the front straight wall and hold up signs to notify drivers of their positon, lap times or to pit etc.

I have recently found out when the quesion was asked to Carroll as to why the stripes were painted on the early Cobra's his reply was to know what car it was and who was driving. That's it. Everyone has there own theory, but as you can see it was just that simple.

Just an early nostalgic touch brought back to the "new gen" Shelby's. Some like it some don't. You have to admit, they do make that front fender "jump out" at you. And set at that angle it gives the perception of speed.

Roger

......and another

I have also read that they were called Rookie Stripes. Newer drivers had them on their cars. I think they evolced to further identify cars & drivers. Either way, thay are neat and part of the racing history.

Great way to incorporate that history into the new Shelby's.

Some of the first stripes on the early Cobra's were done at the race track. I hear that the first cars were painted prior to a race in the pits with a "rattle-can". And just for identification of similar paint scheme cars.

Same theroy is applied today in Formula 1 with different colored mirrors. At LeMans this year the Aston Martin's had flouresent colored mirror paint. Lime Green and Day Glo Orange.

Archived