TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Spoiler

42ITUS

I usually don't like cars that are modded out. Especially with the GT-H and it's over the top cool factor. With that being said, I've been thinking that I might to slap on 20" Alcoas and change the GT spoiler to a GT500 spoiler. I love the look of the ducktail spoiler but am afraid that when it's done it will look too much like a 500, especially with the Alcoas.

Option A would be Alcoas and keep the original spoiler.

Chime in with your thoughts.

I know it's my car and my decision, but I really want to hear everyone's opinion.

Option B would be CS69s and nothing more.

Very interesting. I actually thought of finding a plain rear deck and put it on to have a spoiler delete option as I would prefer no spoiler. I also have been toying with CS69s. I am now leaning toward the CS 66 in black. Very similar to 1966 GT 350 option wheel.

How does my thoughts affect you, You are not alone. I say go for it. The spoiler holes are the same from what I can tell. You could change them out at times. You could change it back. Wheels, I am torn between moving to the 18 or 20 inch. They both look real good. Even a nicer wheel in 17 would not be a bad thing.

I am glad I am not the only one with trying to chose a modest upgrade.

Good luck.

my opinion don't put a gt 500 spoiler on your gt-h. i have seen alot of shelby gt's w/the 500 spoiler. i think there are better options out there. up until i found out that they drilled holes to put on the gt-500 spoiler. i was going to remove mine and go with a different option. classic design has a very nice piece. that is mine opinion and they are your cars. do what you will. i don't care to much about what other people think but i wouldn't want someone to say. "man if that was my car i wouldn't have given it that look" agian go with your gutt.

gene

I usually don't like cars that are modded out. Especially with the GT-H and it's over the top cool factor. With that being said, I've been thinking that I might to slap on 20" Alcoas and change the GT spoiler to a GT500 spoiler. I love the look of the ducktail spoiler but am afraid that when it's done it will look too much like a 500, especially with the Alcoas.

I know it's my car and my decision, but I really want to hear everyone's opinion.

Well,

Here are the spoilers side by side. If the H is your only car, then I would say give it whatever personality you'd like. If not though, I think I'd opt to leave it bone stock.

Fred

post-4578-1217098900.jpg

post-4578-1217098967.jpg

post-4578-1217098900.jpg

post-4578-1217098967.jpg

Well,

Here are the spoilers side by side. If the H is your only car, then I would say give it whatever personality you'd like. If not though, I think I'd opt to leave it bone stock.

Fred

I've been thinking about this a while now and after seeing Fred's pics of the two side by side I've decided I'm only going to mess with the wheels. Putting on the ducktail might make the H look wrong. My argument was always that if the location of the holes are the same then it would be easy to switch back to the original H spoiler, like Gene said. But yeah, looking at the pics side by side is making me feel like I should leave it. And yes, the H is my only car. I have a van as a DD but the weather's been so nice I haven't driven the van in over two weeks!

Wheels. I've seen the photos of the 69s on the GT-H. Does anyone have any other photos? The Razor's on Jeff's car look very sharp. Can anyone photoshop the GT500KR Alcoas on to our car?

I meant Harald on the spoiler hole location. Harald, have you seen pics of the CS66 wheels on our car? What color(s) are you considering? It's funny, I want to do so much to this car but when I see her in the garage it screams at me to leave her alone. It's a piece of freakin history, right? If I had an SGT instead, I would definitely personalize it.

After seeing the side by side, I would also say don't do it. Now for the CS 66. I am considering 18 inch in black. I have not seen any cars with them (GTH). I also like the razors. However, the CS 66 are a modern version of the 1966 10 spoke put on the GT 350 and that would be kinda cool.

I would also like to see pictures if someone has put them on.

I have been waffling for some time and have asked numerous questions. I need to make a decision. I am sure I will not go with 20 inch. The 18 inch looks nice. I have even considered staying with 17 inch as they make the Razor in that size. Have not seen this either.

My current thought is 18x8.5 front with 255/45/18 and 18x9.5 285/40/18 rear in BFG G-Force T/A. Maybe a 275/40/18 would fit front and rear with 9.5 front and rear.

Another real nice looking combination I just saw is a set of Steeda Ultra Lite wheels 18x9.5 with 275/40/18. See summer eddition of 2005-08 Mustang Performance "Bee Sting" article. However, this would not be a Shelby wheel. However, whats on there now isn't either.

:banghead:

After seeing the side by side, I would also say don't do it. Now for the CS 66. I am considering 18 inch in black. I have not seen any cars with them (GTH). I also like the razors. However, the CS 66 are a modern version of the 1966 10 spoke put on the GT 350 and that would be kinda cool.

I would also like to see pictures if someone has put them on.

I have been waffling for some time and have asked numerous questions. I need to make a decision. I am sure I will not go with 20 inch. The 18 inch looks nice. I have even considered staying with 17 inch as they make the Razor in that size. Have not seen this either.

My current thought is 18x8.5 front with 255/45/18 and 18x9.5 285/40/18 rear in BFG G-Force T/A. Maybe a 275/40/18 would fit front and rear with 9.5 front and rear.

Another real nice looking combination I just saw is a set of Steeda Ultra Lite wheels 18x9.5 with 275/40/18. See summer eddition of 2005-08 Mustang Performance "Bee Sting" article. However, this would not be a Shelby wheel. However, whats on there now isn't either.

:banghead:

I'd vote for the CS66.

I'm sure you've already seen this but,

http://www.carrollshelbywheels.com/photo_gallery.htm

Putting on the ducktail might make the H look wrong. My argument was always that if the location of the holes are the same then it would be easy to switch back to the original H spoiler, like Gene said. But yeah, looking at the pics side by side is making me feel like I should leave it.

Hi Guys,

Not that I want to beat a dead horse, but just an FYI here. For what it's worth, while all rear spoiler holes (Mustang, Mustang GT and GT 500) are all drilled in the same location, the factory double sided tape that is also used to secure the spoilers to the deck lids is not. When I removed my GT spoiler to install the GT 500, I had one hell of a time, even using a heat gun, removing the factory adhesive from under the spoiler pedestals. Taking my time, I managed to get it all off, with hardly any residual damage in the process, not that it would have been a problem since the GT 500 spoiler sits flat on the deck lid and would cover any damage you may have caused in removing the factory adhesive. I think the real problem would be to go back the other way...if you decided to remove the GT 500 spoiler to reinstall the original H. The adhesive used under the GT500 spoiler pretty much extends from one end of the spoiler to the other and is several inches wide. I wouldn't want to think about trying to get that off without causing any other damage...probably could be done, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure it would be pretty nerve racking.

BTW, even though a purist, I agree the '06 H could definately use more wheel and tire, I guess at least an 18" as an '07. For now, though, mine stays as is.

:)

Fred

Hi Guys,

Not that I want to beat a dead horse, but just an FYI here. For what it's worth, while all rear spoiler holes (Mustang, Mustang GT and GT 500) are all drilled in the same location, the factory double sided tape that is also used to secure the spoilers to the deck lids is not. When I removed my GT spoiler to install the GT 500, I had one hell of a time, even using a heat gun, removing the factory adhesive from under the spoiler pedestals. Taking my time, I managed to get it all off, with hardly any residual damage in the process, not that it would have been a problem since the GT 500 spoiler sits flat on the deck lid and would cover any damage you may have caused in removing the factory adhesive. I think the real problem would be to go back the other way...if you decided to remove the GT 500 spoiler to reinstall the original H. The adhesive used under the GT500 spoiler pretty much extends from one end of the spoiler to the other and is several inches wide. I wouldn't want to think about trying to get that off without causing any other damage...probably could be done, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure it would be pretty nerve racking.

BTW, even though a purist, I agree the '06 H could definately use more wheel and tire, I guess at least an 18" as an '07. For now, though, mine stays as is.

:)

Fred

Thanks Fred, something to consider for shure!

• 4 weeks later...

I PUT ON THE 500 SPOILER, AND A SET OF 20" RAZORS, LOOKS GREAT, SAVE YOUR OLD SPOILER AND RIMS, NIETHER ARE A SHELBY EXCLUSIVE ANYWAYS AND CAN BE PURCHASED FOR MANY YEARS TO COME ON EBAY, OUR STOCK RIMS ARE ON ALL 05-06 MUSTANGS, INCLUDING V-6 JOBS, THE SPOILER IS JUST STOCK GT FROM 05-TO PRESENT. HAVE FUN, MAKE IT WHAT YOU WANT. MY CAR HAS TINTED WINDOWS, TINTED LIGHTS, GT-500 SPOILER, 20" RAZORS WITH 40MM OFFSET AND GT-500 BRAKES, AND THE PAXTON SUPERCHARGER, PLUS MUCH MORE ENGINE WORK, IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS SO SINISTER, NO-ONE EVEN COMES CLOSE. ALCOAS WOULD BE MY NEXT DREAM RIM.

Archived