TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Real Shelby?

svttim

Well lets see, He says the GT500 is, ya think he will say the same about your clone?

No, he won't say the same about the clone, but he likely influenced the design of the clone Cobra as much as the GT500 (and likely more, IMO), since the clone, by definition, intends to directly copy the genius of Shelby's original Cobra.

---------------------------

When I saw Amy's post at SA Forums a couple of days ago I decided not respond because her statement, while absolutely accurate, can be read two ways depending on your viewpoint.

The fact is, Ford designed, engineered and built this car virtually 100%. Was Carroll involved in the 'review' process? Sure, ...that's because in such contracts (whether Mary Stewfart paints or Waldo Laauren sunglasses), the 'name' (brand licenser) gets to verify that the product does not defame them or diminish their reputation in any way -- they also get to provide 'input' which may be usefull in assuring that the result is viewed favorably by the 'licenser.'

It's generally the organization who owns marketing of the product that 'owns' the contract. So if the brand name (Shelby) is NOT the marketer (the case with the GT500) then there's likely 'nominal' involvement. In contrast, if Mary Stewfart contracts House Depot to sell her paint (laboriously created in her secret laboratory on her estate <lol>) then SHE likely controls the contract. If House Depot markets Mary Stewfart paint, then they likely control the contract. Clearly this is Ford's contract and Shelby is a contract brand not the other way around.

And there's no doubt in my mind that what Amy said re Carroll really liking the GT500 is completely true. That could be either because he designed, engined and specified exactly what he wanted to see (not!) -- OR it could be because Ford, who owns the contract, served up awesome design and engineering concepts that were exquisitely acceptable to Carroll. Which do you think it was? Whichever you believe is fine, but it doesn't change what is -- this is Ford's pony, pure and simple.

So, when you go buy a fancy branded pair of sunglasses (or an Eddie Bauer Explorer <lol>), did the 'name' actually design them? Engineer them? Produce them? <possibly (if it was their contract), but very unlikely ...they or their people were just part of the, ahem, 'review' process.

But is it genuine Mary Stewfart paint nontheless? ... or Waldo Laauren sunglasses? or Eddie Bauer Explorer? Of course! ...they or their people were part of the 'review' process! <lol>

Does this make the GT500 a genuine Shelby? Of course! Says so right on the back!!! ;)

Btw, ask Mary or Waldo or Eddie if the branded products are really genuine. 'Of course it is! My name's on it!' they'll tell ya. ;)

That's the reality of contract branding -- but whatever anyone wants to believe is fine with me.

Sorry, don't mean to be putting anyone's opinion down -- really don't ... I think the GT500 is outstanding and I'm thrilled CS/SA and Ford are back in the same camp ...but this is the way contract branding works -- it's just different than the way things used to be. I'm not complaining and I personally accept the GT500 as a 'genuine' Shelby -- whatever the heck that implies based on whatever anyone wants to believe <lol>

:shift:

And that's all he has to say about that!

I might take off the GT fender badges and have GT-O lettered on instead.

After all, I designed it. :bandance:

My hot rod is coming this week...how can I manage to get romantic with wifey? :baby:

....better make it a GT-Oh! :hysterical:

Shelby signed the glovebox door on my 65 GT350 Clone. Is it now a SHELBY?

I find that hard to believe #1 He does not believe in clones nor Shelby kit cars .

#2 If he knew it was for a clone car he probablywould not of signed it.

I find that hard to believe #1 He does not believe in clones nor Shelby kit cars .

Oh well I guess since I have no way of proving it, I was not vain enough to shoot a picture of the act, I did not write a check for a donation to have a reciept which I'd never pay for a signature, the signature wrote itself on the glovebox door. :shrug:

On the contrary, I have personally seen at least two cars personally signed by him. One was a Superformance AC replica, the other a GT350 clone.

We're (wishful thinking) that Mr Shelby's autograph constitutes an endorsement. It doesn't.

bj

On the contrary, I have personally seen at least two cars personally signed by him. One was a Superformance AC replica, the other a GT350 clone.

We're (wishful thinking) that Mr Shelby's autograph constitutes an endorsement. It doesn't.

bj

You are correct.. he will sign almost anything for the prescribed donation to the Children's Fund.

And don't forget to take a $100 chance on this years raffle car (all proceeds to same Fund): an all-original 65 (or 66, not sure) GT350! :woohoo: Last year's raffle was for one of his very low miles original CS Cobra (blue) - gorgeous!!!

Needsless to say I didn't win...

;)

Archived