TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Problems

I guess the good news is I have a clutch problem before my car gets converted and avoid the warranty battle later. Anyway, my GT500 has about 7200 miles on it and in the last few days has started to slip when I have been on the freeway at speed in 3rd to 5th gears and hit the gas. After the slip it seems to grab and be OK for abit. Does anyone have similiar problems or could give me any info on the clutch issues? I will be trying to get it into service early next week. Any help, comments, guidance, concerns would be appreciated.

Also, does everyone's clutch 'hiss' when you startout in first?

Thanx in advance.

I guess the good news is I have a clutch problem before my car gets converted and avoid the warranty battle later. Anyway, my GT500 has about 7200 miles on it and in the last few days has started to slip when I have been on the freeway at speed in 3rd to 5th gears and hit the gas. After the slip it seems to grab and be OK for abit. Does anyone have similiar problems or could give me any info on the clutch issues? I will be trying to get it into service early next week. Any help, comments, guidance, concerns would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

mine does but I only have 260 miles on it. I would assume that it is the sound of the disc spinning on the flywheel. Also my clutch grabs REAL high, anyone else? :shift:

mine does but I only have 260 miles on it. I would assume that it is the sound of the disc spinning on the flywheel. Also my clutch grabs REAL high, anyone else? :shift:

It grabs high on the coupe, and very low on the convertible. I prefer it low...

Pooh, your clutch is toast, and it's only going to get worse. The hissing is not a problem, as stated it's normal, but the slippage is obviously not.

Get your car into the dealer as soon as you can because it going to take them 7 days on the short side, and three weeks on the long side to get a clutch assembly in for it. I believe that you reside in the South Bay area, and even though it might be a bit of a haul for you, I recommend that you take it over to Galpin Ford in the Valley and see Nelson Buss. Nelson has become an expert on these issues with the 500, and that makes it very easy for him to get warranty approval quickly. And if you ask him nicely, he will probably spring for a loaner car for you too.

Good luck.

Thanx in advance.

20242 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

SOME 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT THE FOLLOWING CLUTCH/TRANS SYMPTOMS: HARD TO DISENGAGE OR ENGAGE 1ST AND REVERSE, HARD TO SHIFT ANY GEAR, GEAR GRINDING DURING SHIFTS ANY GEAR, VEHICLE CREEPS WITH TRANS IN GEAR AND CLUTCH PEDAL FULLY DEPRESSED, CLUTCH SLIPPAGE IN GEAR WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED, HISS NOISE WITH CLUTCH PEDAL FULLY DEPRESSED (HISS ON CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASE IS NORMAL). ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING THIS CONDITION THROUGH THE QUICKER SERVICE FIX (QSF) PROCESS. TSB WITH NEW PARTS/PROCEDURE IS IN PROGRESS. MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/09/2008

20242 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

SOME 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT THE FOLLOWING CLUTCH/TRANS SYMPTOMS: HARD TO DISENGAGE OR ENGAGE 1ST AND REVERSE, HARD TO SHIFT ANY GEAR, GEAR GRINDING DURING SHIFTS ANY GEAR, VEHICLE CREEPS WITH TRANS IN GEAR AND CLUTCH PEDAL FULLY DEPRESSED, CLUTCH SLIPPAGE IN GEAR WITH CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASED, HISS NOISE WITH CLUTCH PEDAL FULLY DEPRESSED (HISS ON CLUTCH PEDAL RELEASE IS NORMAL). ENGINEERING IS CURRENTLY INVESTIGATING THIS CONDITION THROUGH THE QUICKER SERVICE FIX (QSF) PROCESS. TSB WITH NEW PARTS/PROCEDURE IS IN PROGRESS. MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 05/09/2008

Mine "hops" out of first. Seems mors obvious cold. 2008 Gt 500

I too seem to be having clutch problems and the dealer kept refering me to that same stupid memo posted by ford to the public. unfortunately my car is already at Shelby waiting to be Snaked and that of course means my warranty is going to be voided by the time I get it back. Does anyone have a suggestion for an after market clutch setup that they like and that they would have the confidence to use no matter what over the stock clutch? Answers and help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

P.S. It sure seems like for me at least, that the problem is only going to get worse after forcing an extra 45-50% HP through it.

Went to the track tonight. Car was pulling hard off the line but I noticed at the end of the track my clutch was slipping. Best time was 11.53. Going home I got into it and the clutch started slipping at 3000RPMs. Ran clear up to 6000 before I new it. I drove easy the rest of the way home. Also the shifting linkage feels sloppy now. Like more side to side movement in gear and it is harder to get in an out of gear. Missed 3rd on two runs at the track. Guess I will have to spring for new clutch. Wonder if I should just swap out the tranny as well. The input shaft won't hold up to 800+ for long. I was running C12 gas on my race tune tonight. It is obvious that the slippage is hurting my times. Bummer

Is there an issue with Ford's warranty dept. with a claim after I SS? I notice a bit of clutch problem out of first. Would you reccommend my having Ford look at it BEFORE I SS?

When I am out of first, I have to apply more gas to overcome the hop. Since I only have 300 miles on the car, I am thinking this may be the beginning of something bad.

Can anyone elaborate on the "hop" out of first gear? Thanks.

I too seem to be having clutch problems and the dealer kept refering me to that same stupid memo posted by ford to the public. unfortunately my car is already at Shelby waiting to be Snaked and that of course means my warranty is going to be voided by the time I get it back. Does anyone have a suggestion for an after market clutch setup that they like and that they would have the confidence to use no matter what over the stock clutch? Answers and help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

P.S. It sure seems like for me at least, that the problem is only going to get worse after forcing an extra 45-50% HP through it.

OC, Ace, Do not be concerned about the warranty being voided after your cars are Super Snaked. My clutch went south of the border @ 18,000 miles and after it was SS'd. Every part of my drivetrain aft of the crank and in front of the driveshaft was replaced under warranty. My Master and Slave Cylinders were also replaced too. When the dealer plugs your VIN into Ford's OASIS system, it will come back to either a 2007 or 2008 (I don't know what year your cars are) GT500. OASIS does not have any knowledge about what car was SS'd or not.

Now, getting to your question about the 'Hop" OC, what exactly to do mean by "hop"? Are you referring to clutch chatter or is your transmission popping out of 1st gear? I'm not quite clear on what you are describing when you say "Hop".

OC, Ace, Do not be concerned about the warranty being voided after your cars are Super Snaked. My clutch went south of the border @ 18,000 miles and after it was SS'd. Every part of my drivetrain aft of the crank and in front of the driveshaft was replaced under warranty. My Master and Slave Cylinders were also replaced too. When the dealer plugs your VIN into Ford's OASIS system, it will come back to either a 2007 or 2008 (I don't know what year your cars are) GT500. OASIS does not have any knowledge about what car was SS'd or not.

Now, getting to your question about the 'Hop" OC, what exactly to do mean by "hop"? Are you referring to clutch chatter or is your transmission popping out of 1st gear? I'm not quite clear on what you are describing when you say "Hop".

SG....Thanks for the input. That's releiving about the warranty issue.

As far as the clutch goes,I am not really sure how to describe it, only that I need more gas than other clutches I've used. If I don't, I will stall, esp. uphill.

2008 Shelby GT 500 GO.

Archived