TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR versus Nissan GT-R

ctann

Not sure how many of you guys visit the new Road Racing Forum on this board, but I posted my experience last week with a GT-R on the race track in THIS THREAD. My car is heavily modified (serious suspension mods well beyond the KR's capacity) and this was the GT-R's first shake down run. The drivers knew the track and were pretty good drivers so I think it was a valid real world comparison.

As far as performance goes, I think the GT-R would embarrass the KR on shorter more technical tracks like Hallett. The playing field would even up on longer tracks with an edge to the GT-R.

Looks-wise, the car looked better in person than photographs but still didn't do anything for me............

I saw one a few weeks ago in the opposite traffic as me. I only got a quick glimpse of it but it didn't look too bad from what I saw. I agree with the performance perspective. Even a decently modded GT500 would have a hard time keeping up with a stock GTR on a road course with drivers of similar experience levels. I admire the GTR for what it is, an awesome technical machine with the ability to shame many cars on the road. However, a lot of this is accomplished with fancy electronic gadgets, computers, AWD, etc therefore I think some of the soul of knowing how to really drive a car gets lost in translation. I compare this to the analogy of fly by wire aircraft. While the fly by wire can do some marvelous things and make it much more easy to fly a high performance aircraft, some of the old skills and enjoyments of flying get lost because the operator no longer needs to know how to perform a certain task with precision and skill.

I also agree with the person above who commented that CS would probably not be happy with some of the comments on here. I understand wanting to be patriotic and I like to support the American manufacturer too. However, the original Cobra was an English car with an American engine dropped in it. So lets enjoy all these cars for what they bring to the table. Everyone likes what they like and I will always appreciate car for what it is and not where it is made.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...... a lot of this is accomplished with fancy electronic gadgets, computers, AWD, etc therefore I think some of the soul of knowing how to really drive a car gets lost in translation......... some of the old skills and enjoyments of flying get lost because the operator no longer needs to know how to perform a certain task with precision and skill................

I was just talking with an aquaintance of mine yesterday, a Saleen Extreme owner, while we were at a local car show. A Porsche Carrera roadster drove by and I commented that I wondered whether I would "enjoy" racing it more than I "enjoy" racing the Shelby. It may be faster, but not as much fun! (for the reasons you describe) I'll only know if someone lets me drive their 911 :shift::shift::hysterical:

Any volunteers????????????

I was just talking with an aquaintance of mine yesterday, a Saleen Extreme owner, while we were at a local car show. A Porsche Carrera roadster drove by and I commented that I wondered whether I would "enjoy" racing it more than I "enjoy" racing the Shelby. It may be faster, but not as much fun! (for the reasons you describe) I'll only know if someone lets me drive their 911 :shift::shift::hysterical:

Any volunteers????????????

:hysterical:

Can I dovetail off of your request...anyone want to loan me their Ford GT? :hysterical:

Archived