TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'07-'08 differences

markhudd

I was wondering what the differences are between the '07 and '08 Shelby GT500? I still have an untrained eye. I know the HID headlamps are a new option on the '08's, right? I would also like some feedback on keeping the Shelby as stock and original as possible vs. modifications while trying to retain it's value for the future. Thanks.

Mark

I was wondering what the differences are between the '07 and '08 Shelby GT500? I still have an untrained eye. I know the HID headlamps are a new option on the '08's, right? I would also like some feedback on keeping the Shelby as stock and original as possible vs. modifications while trying to retain it's value for the future. Thanks.

Mark

MOD MOD MOD and keep the stock parts :hysterical:

The more i drive my car the more i feel that the package is just perfect and the more to shift away from mods.....it has nothing to do with future value. It is the pride in a perfect power out of the box....i had to go with only LCA for the wheel hop but other than that i feel it is more than what i need power wise.

you can blow a ricer to have 800 hp....but how many STOCK cars have 500 hp....very few, JMHO

Ambient mood lights on the 2008 which I passed on. My car's options that I got are the HIDs, and the premium interior package.

Likewise.

On the mods, I'm making bolt-on modifications (see below). I'm keeping all of the stock parts in storage, which I can bolt back on if I ever want them.

In a way, that's even better, because you don't put the wear and tear on the original parts.

I agree with Sharabi on the stock car being great. However, these driveway bolt-on modifications take the car up an entirely different level, at very little cost.

As far as power mods, there's nothing wrong with some bolt-on mufflers, a CAI and a tune. Sounds great, runs great, mileage is about the same. Except there's a whole bunch of new ponies under the hood.happy%20feet.gif

I've also put in a Watts link (highly recommended, especially for regular street driving). I have a lowering kit, dampers, control arms, and sway bars on the way. Again, everything is bolt-on.

All of these things can be put back to stock in a few hours (even the springs), and none of them will hurt the resale value of your car. In fact, if you have the stock parts, I would think they would enhance the value.

The mods are in the eyes of the owner. I am not going to say that it adds value to the car. But the reason people mod their cars is for their own taste. The taste in cars that I like will not be the same as someone elses. Even though you add performance mods doesn't mean the next guy will like it. Save the stock parts so it can be returned to stock when you want to sell your car.

As for the differences, HID and ambient lighting is about it if you don't count any of the price increases between the years. I do believe there was a color change from tungsten to vapor (the fastest color).

The '08s have a different harmonic balancer (12# lighter than '07) and I believe a slightly different crank because of that. Also the transmissions are slightly different (see Grabber's thread). I heard someone here say that the s/c casing has slightly different ribbing (I've not looked closely at an '08 to verify). Also the bezels on the dash are different. I'm sure there are more differences that we don't know about yet....................

As far as future value goes.............I'm one of those that doesn't care about the future value. I bought the car for me. I will mod the car to the point that I can enjoy the car for the purposes for which I purchased it. And my grandchildren can have all the stock parts when they put me in a pine box :shift: In my book Shelby's are meant for racing not collecting.

As far as future value goes.............I'm one of those that doesn't care about the future value. I bought the car for me. I will mod the car to the point that I can enjoy the car for the purposes for which I purchased it. And my grandchildren can have all the stock parts when they put me in a pine box :shift: In my book Shelby's are meant for racing not collecting.

I like your line of thinking! :)

not many know that the '08's are faster than the '07's. How do I know this? Well check out the window sticker for each year....notice the '08's get less MPG. That means they must have more horsepower which brought down the mileage. JMHO of course! :hysterical::dance:

just means that your brakes are dragging a little bit; holding down the get up and go, and worsening your gas mileage. You mean you haven't heard about this little issue with the 08s?? :o :hysterical:

not many know that the '08's are faster than the '07's. How do I know this? Well check out the window sticker for each year....notice the '08's get less MPG. That means they must have more horsepower which brought down the mileage. JMHO of course! :hysterical::dance:

nice try... :hysterical: EPA actually changed the way they calculate gas mileage in 08, that's why it went down....

Here's an odd difference, the driver's side front muffler hanger is different, the '08's hanger has a shield on it that the '07's don't.

One other 'visable' difference, the front seat belt assist arm on the the '08's so you can grab them easier.

Here's an odd difference, the driver's side front muffler hanger is different, the '08's hanger has a shield on it that the '07's don't.

One other 'visable' difference, the front seat belt assist arm on the the '08's so you can grab them easier.

Very Interesting. Thanks.

Mark

Boy, you opened up a big can of worms with this one. :finger::hysterical:

The '08s have a different harmonic balancer (12# lighter than '07) and I believe a slightly different crank because of that. Also the transmissions are slightly different (see Grabber's thread). I heard someone here say that the s/c casing has slightly different ribbing (I've not looked closely at an '08 to verify). Also the bezels on the dash are different. I'm sure there are more differences that we don't know about yet....................

Great point! Thanks.

Mark

The mods are in the eyes of the owner. I am not going to say that it adds value to the car. But the reason people mod their cars is for their own taste. The taste in cars that I like will not be the same as someone elses. Even though you add performance mods doesn't mean the next guy will like it. Save the stock parts so it can be returned to stock when you want to sell your car.

As for the differences, HID and ambient lighting is about it if you don't count any of the price increases between the years. I do believe there was a color change from tungsten to vapor (the fastest color).

Excellent point. Very helpful. Thank you.

Mark

New options for '08 were HID's and Ambient Lighting. I think the Touchscreen NAV was available late in 2007 as was the car cover.

Also, there were some color changes as well. Tungsten wasn't offered in 2008, but Vapor showed up in 2008. And of course there were some stripe color combo changes as well such as black stripes being offered, tungsten stripes not, etc.

As for mods...do what you like, and keep the original parts. That's the beauty of Mustangs. Roll your own!

'08's have chrome accents around the radio knobs while the '07's do not.

I heard the seats in the '08 are more "bolstered". Can anyone confirm this?

Also, how are the dash bezels different?

I talked to a guy with an 08 at a car show the other night who said he has an option if he goes into the set up button to turn the supercharger 'ON' or 'OFF'. He didn't have the car there for me to confirm this but he sounded genuine. He said that when he first got the car it seemed sluggish but after he read the manual and changed this option if really came alive. He advised it has something to do with the SVT light being on or off and it can be used for valet parking or lending to your teenager etc. I suggested that in my 07 the SVT light is simply a shift point option and that the GT500's have a chip that will not allow the car full power until it has been driven several miles. He insists that he has this option, can anyone confirm or disprove this? My Ford dealer hasn't heard of it, but that doesn't surprise me since they thought the GT500's came from the Las Vegas Shelby plant until I told them otherwise.

I talked to a guy with an 08 at a car show the other night who said he has an option if he goes into the set up button to turn the supercharger 'ON' or 'OFF'. He didn't have the car there for me to confirm this but he sounded genuine. He said that when he first got the car it seemed sluggish but after he read the manual and changed this option if really came alive. He advised it has something to do with the SVT light being on or off and it can be used for valet parking or lending to your teenager etc. I suggested that in my 07 the SVT light is simply a shift point option and that the GT500's have a chip that will not allow the car full power until it has been driven several miles. He insists that he has this option, can anyone confirm or disprove this? My Ford dealer hasn't heard of it, but that doesn't surprise me since they thought the GT500's came from the Las Vegas Shelby plant until I told them otherwise.

WTF!!?? :eek5:

I just looked at the manual, just out of perverse curiosity. No such thing. You do have the option of turning the SVT shiftpoint light on or off. Maybe he thinks that's controlling the supercharger?

Like, maybe "SVT" means, "Supercharged Vortex Tuning" or something?

Then again, my 2008 GT500 was built in Flat Rock, Michigan. Maybe the one's built in Nevada are different.

Archived