TEAM SHELBY FORUM

i need help

mrponnoburns

i have a 2007 shelby gt with 2300 miles on it i took it for its first oil change and to get front plate put on with velcro trips . i come back to pic up my baby and they drill holes in front bumper for bracket .how much does that hurt the vaule and what would b good compension. and ideas or exact #s email at mrponnoburns@yahoo.com . i will b at work all day ty

It really depends on you view. How do you feel about what happened? If it really bothers you then I would address the issue with the dealer. If not then just let it go. I do not think devaluation will be an issue though.

Roger

If it bothers you that much have the dealer replace the bumper. It is just a plastic cover. New bumper cover, paint and stripes and its as good as new.

The cost of replacing that would be the extent of your damages.

The biggest issue you would have is IF you decided to sell it and IF a potential buyer was willing to buy it but won't merely because it had the license plate bracket mounted on the bumper. For the most part this would only be an issue for a buyer living in a State that does not require a front plate.

They could also just repair that by removing the stripes, filling the holes, then putting new stripes over that. You would never know.

i don't think it will devalue it any. Some dealers went ahead and put brackets on their SGTs before putting them on the show room floor. Since in some states it's the law, i guess the only alternative is to leave it off and pay a fine. I didn't really want the dealer to put one on mine, but they did anyway when I went to pick up my plates.

To me it wouldnt be so much about how much value it lost but rather I asked the dealer to perform a certain service a certain way and wirthout consulting you they did it a different way. Personally I would be speaking to the owner and having a new cover installed and making it right. I wouldnt ask for any monetary damages.

They could also just repair that by removing the stripes, filling the holes, then putting new stripes over that. You would never know.

+1

It's not going to hurt the value at all with so many states requiring a front plate. I wouldn't have gone with velcro though anyway. Gum will mess up your stripes, the wind will allow movement and possible scratches, and you're bound to loose it one day. There are plenty of under fascia bracket solutions available that are sturdy, cause no damage, and even some that now slide easily out of the way, I would go that route.

So have the dealer remove, fill the holes, and re-stripe.

Good luck!

To me it wouldnt be so much about how much value it lost but rather I asked the dealer to perform a certain service a certain way and wirthout consulting you they did it a different way. Personally I would be speaking to the owner and having a new cover installed and making it right. I wouldnt ask for any monetary damages.

+1

I would think the dealer should make it right as long as they were clear on what you were asking. It sounds to me you were clear about how you wanted it mounted.

Dan

+1

It's not going to hurt the value at all with so many states requiring a front plate. I wouldn't have gone with velcro though anyway. Gum will mess up your stripes, the wind will allow movement and possible scratches, and you're bound to loose it one day. There are plenty of under fascia bracket solutions available that are sturdy, cause no damage, and even some that now slide easily out of the way, I would go that route.

Good luck!

Several forum members did just this, without issue. No worries. Don't loose any sleep over it.

As the others have said, I don't feel it's that big a deal. It's mostly personal taste. If I had not found a way to fit mine into the lower grill I probably would have broke down and mounted mine on the bumper eventually.

Now if you told them not to and they did anyway, you bet they would be fixing it just on principal.

That's one of the good things about being ~1hr away from Quantum Perf. They do and will do all my non-warranty work (and even took care of my warranty work this last time) and I do not worry at all. Those guys are over the top and that is hard-to-find service.

I hate to say it, but I drilled and installed my own front plate. Please, don't yell at me. My car was going to be a daily driver when I first got it, and I know the cops around here would be stopping me all the time if no plate. After doing so, a few months later I learned about the under-bumper brackets, which I would have done from the start if I had known. But, like everyone says, its really no big deal. For $70 from SPP I can buy a replacement bumper stripe and fill my own holes, which I may do eventually, plus I'd have to buy the bracket so I guess overall thats about $120 or so.

+1

Good luck!

If you go that route instead of having them replace the fascia, make sure they fill the holes from the front AND back, otherwise the filler could shrink in the future and be visible under the stripes (per a good friend who happens to be a body man)

I must have called, written and reminded the dealer not to drill mine about 100 times.

thankfully, they didnt!

I not only told the dealer numerous times not to drill the front plate I also made it very clear to not even think about putting on a dealership decal or dealership lettering.

Archived