TEAM SHELBY FORUM

anyone dyno-tune? with SCT?

DJMS1512

I'm considering dyno-tuning my 2008 GT500. I think it can wake her up. I talked to a guy in Charlotte, NC who uses SCT computers. Has anyone gone this route, and if so, what HP numbers did you get? I've also heard that Ford Racing has their own computer...a flash hand-held. Anyone using one of these?

I've added a K&N, but was wondering if it's worth the investment. And if it voids warrantees.

I'm considering dyno-tuning my 2008 GT500. I think it can wake her up. I talked to a guy in Charlotte, NC who uses SCT computers. Has anyone gone this route, and if so, what HP numbers did you get? I've also heard that Ford Racing has their own computer...a flash hand-held. Anyone using one of these?

I've added a K&N, but was wondering if it's worth the investment. And if it voids warrantees.

If you mean the K&N CAI, you need a tune. Many here have seen VERY lean conditions when running a CAI without a tune. Some use SCT, I have a predator. The difference is who does the tune.

From what I've seen/read, there is approximately 65-75 RWHP to be gained from just a tune. And maybe 10-15 from a cai. And like stated above the tuning results are a function of who is doing the tuning. Ford includes a Procal tuner with their cai, but it is not capable of data logging or other features that the SCT tuners employ.

Lots of folks have gotten a package with cai and tune. I am currently waiting on delivery of my JLT with Evolution tune. These have consistently dyno'd at appx. 500 rwhp with excellent AF ratios. Some folks have even set aside their custom tunes in favor of the Evolution tune.

Yes, a cai could void the warranty if there is a problem that can be attributed to it's usage. Generally, it is up to the consumer to prove otherwise. Still, I have seen nothing of engine damage from a cai with a proper tune. But, you should not be driving with a cai and no tune!

From what I've seen/read, there is approximately 65-75 RWHP to be gained from just a tune. And maybe 10-15 from a cai. And like stated above the tuning results are a function of who is doing the tuning. Ford includes a Procal tuner with their cai, but it is not capable of data logging or other features that the SCT tuners employ.

Lots of folks have gotten a package with cai and tune. I am currently waiting on delivery of my JLT with Evolution tune. These have consistently dyno'd at appx. 500 rwhp with excellent AF ratios. Some folks have even set aside their custom tunes in favor of the Evolution tune.

Yes, a cai could void the warranty if there is a problem that can be attributed to it's usage. Generally, it is up to the consumer to prove otherwise. Still, I have seen nothing of engine damage from a cai with a proper tune. But, you should not be driving with a cai and no tune!

In the ford racing parts catalog there is a good explanation of the different tuners and how they each change your HP numbers. I would read this section on line to see all the factors that should be taken in to account when chosing a tune. A good example is why are cars put out less HP when hot ? It maybe not what you think. The Ford tune retards the timing to protect the engine, some tunes can elininate this function( calibration logic ) to get more HP !! "BUYER BEWARE"

If you mean the K&N CAI, you need a tune. Many here have seen VERY lean conditions when running a CAI without a tune. Some use SCT, I have a predator. The difference is who does the tune.

I only did the K&N drop-in. Not enough miles on her to start messing around with major components. This guy in Charlotte promises 65-75 rwhp...he was at the SVT Cobra Club show in Danville, VA, doing dynos.

Thanks for all your input. It helps me make an educated decision. Let us know what your JLT Evolution does!

p.s. got a chance to check out a Dan Gurney...wha'd'ya think of it?

I only did the K&N drop-in. Not enough miles on her to start messing around with major components. This guy in Charlotte promises 65-75 rwhp...he was at the SVT Cobra Club show in Danville, VA, doing dynos.

Thanks for all your input. It helps me make an educated decision. Let us know what your JLT Evolution does!

p.s. got a chance to check out a Dan Gurney...wha'd'ya think of it?

Again - you should not be running a CAI without a tune. The GT500 motor will run too lean and you could start burning things up.

In the ford racing parts catalog there is a good explanation of the different tuners and how they each change your HP numbers. I would read this section on line to see all the factors that should be taken in to account when chosing a tune. A good example is why are cars put out less HP when hot ? It maybe not what you think. The Ford tune retards the timing to protect the engine, some tunes can elininate this function( calibration logic ) to get more HP !! "BUYER BEWARE"

Thanks for your input. Yes, I knew that Ford pulled timing at a certain temp level to protect components. And that had an impact on HP/TQ at elevated temps.

I believe this is a good portion of what you refer to:

"Turning off the inferred catalyst, oxygen sensor and exhaust valve temperature protection logic

discussed in the previous section. This prevents the PCM from richening the A/F ratio to protect

these components which can result in more power under certain conditions. The downside is

drastically decreased durability of these expensive components. Ford Racing does not compromise

durability by turning off this calibration logic.

They often advance spark timing to potentially unsafe levels. We test our calibrations in a wind tunnel

and in hot dry weather to verify that potentially damaging spark knock or catastrophic pre-ignition does

not occur. We also do cold weather and altitude testing as well as extensive emissions and durability

testing on several vehicles before we release a calibration to the customer. Some companies do not

realize that they need to perform this type of testing in the first place!"

Now I am fairly certain that evidence of detonation or spark knock would be present in the many dyno checks that have been done with the JLT/EVO tune. And these have been on the street for a couple years now with no engine failures I've heard of.

But, as to what protection logic might be affected by an EVO tune specifically, I wonder if any other members here have some input.

Again - you should not be running a CAI without a tune. The GT500 motor will run too lean and you could start burning things up.

By drop-in, I was referring to the K&N filter alone, in the stock box. I haven't installed a CAI or mass air. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm mainly interested in knowing what results people have gotten from hand-held tuners. Wondering if it's worth the investment, the hassle, and the risk to the warranty.

Archived