TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tracing SGT heritage...

Questions asked and answered in a lateral thread here, have caused me to question "who built what?"

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...mp;#entry482557

On my invoice and window sticker, present is a "GT upfitters package", which includes our 235/50-18 BFG tires, 3:55.1 rear end gear ratio, and 18" black painted aluminum wheels (maybe polished for some of y'all).

So...Some of the SGT was surely built on the Ford production line and shipped to SAI with these accessories installed. What about the rest of it?

Who installed the FRP induction kit and 90mm MAF? Ford or Shelby?

Who installed the FRP suspension, Ford or Shelby?

Who loaded the special EEC tune? Ford or Shelby?

It's not really important to me who did what, I love the finished product. I'm not looking to stir up any controversy, just looking for more 411 on the heritage of the SGT.

There's an article in the Shelby magazine that describes the process.

Unfortunetly, it's 20 MB file, so too large to upload here. But, if you give me an email address, I'll send it to you.

In the meantime, this was sent to the dealers describing the ordering procedure, etc....

I hope it helps.

SGT_Ordering_Info.pdf

SGT_Ordering_Info.pdf

Last August I toured the AAI plant and saw SGTs being built interspersed with V6s, GTs and GT500s. The only visible difference from a GT is a few trim pieces not attached (like the GT emblems) and it gets what looks like a GT cali-special hood with holes pre-drilled but no scoop attached. Possibly there are some other 54U changes, but none apparent from 10-12' away.

Questions asked and answered in a lateral thread here, have caused me to question "who built what?"

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...mp;#entry482557

On my invoice and window sticker, present is a "GT upfitters package", which includes our 235/50-18 BFG tires, 3:55.1 rear end gear ratio, and 18" black painted aluminum wheels (maybe polished for some of y'all).

So...Some of the SGT was surely built on the Ford production line and shipped to SAI with these accessories installed. What about the rest of it?

Who installed the FRP induction kit and 90mm MAF? Ford or Shelby?

Who installed the FRP suspension, Ford or Shelby?

Who loaded the special EEC tune? Ford or Shelby?

It's not really important to me who did what, I love the finished product. I'm not looking to stir up any controversy, just looking for more 411 on the heritage of the SGT.

i believe the automatic cars had the complete axle swapped out also to obtain 3:55 ratio, manuals had it from factory

correct this if in error

You could go really deep into this...like, which parts are from Japanese...or Chinese....manufacturers..... :o

You could go really deep into this...like, which parts are from Japanese...or Chinese....manufacturers..... :o

That's not what I'm asking, my friend.

I am not asking who manufactured the FRP induction kit, or, suspension bits, or, any other mod that makes a Mustang GT an SGT.

I AM asking where those mods were installed on the base Mustang GT...On the Ford production line, or, at SAI in Henderson, NV?

Looking at it one way, a bone stock MGT is delivered to SAI and the car is rebuilt to become an SGT. That would leave a pile of take-off parts somewhere...No, make that a mountain of metal.

The other way, is that SAI specified mods are installed on the Ford production line at Flat Rock, and much of the hardware employed in creating an SGT is pre-installed before it gets to Henderson. No pile, no mountain...Follow me?

Not trying to cause trouble with this question, I'm simply curious about where my SGT came from, in a "who did what" way.

I am not asking who manfactured the FRP induction kit, or, suspension bits, or, any other mod that makes a Mustang GT an SGT.

I am asking where those mods were installed on the base Mustang GT...On the Ford production line, or, at SAI in Henderson, NV.

Looking at it one way, a bone stock MGT is delivered to SAI and the car is rebuilt to become an SGT. The other way, is that SAI specified mods are installed on the production line, and much of the hardware employed in creating an SGT is pre-installed before it gets to Henderson...Follow me?

Not trying to cause trouble, I just curious about where my SGT came from, in a "who did what" way.

I knew that...I was only kidding....

I am not asking who manufactured the FRP induction kit, or, suspension bits, or, any other mod that makes a Mustang GT an SGT.

I AM asking where those mods were installed on the base Mustang GT...On the Ford production line, or, at SAI in Henderson, NV?

Looking at it one way, a bone stock MGT is delivered to SAI and the car is rebuilt to become an SGT. That would leave a pile of take-off parts somewhere...No, make that a mountain of metal.

The other way, is that SAI specified mods are installed on the Ford production line at Flat Rock, and much of the hardware employed in creating an SGT is pre-installed before it gets to Henderson. No pile, no mountain...Follow me?

Not trying to cause trouble with this question, I'm simply curious about where my SGT came from, in a "who did what" way.

LuLu - That is approximately 8000 Mustang take-off parts at SAI or they were dealt back to Ford. As far as you and I are concerned they can keep those parts, well at least I feel that way.

This is a good post because I printed off the entire ordering information, and then put it in with all my Shelby GT paperwork for the future. Thanks LuLu.

I've toured SAI Las Vegas assembly a couple of times (personal tour aside from the museum tour) while the SGTs were being assembled and I also participated in the Stangs Unleashed Romeo and Auto Alliance tours while Ford was shipping 54Us to SAI, Las Vegas.

This is my understanding based on that ...things could have changed and answers I received one-on-one could have been wrong. My understanding is based on information from the fall of 2006 through late summer of 2007 which spans much of the upfit of the '07s and '08s so depending on the vintage of my information things could have been different before and/or after since my goal was not SGT research at the time. Possibly Amy would be willing to have someone at SAI look over this note and fill in the blanks if someone wants to pursue that.

General:

An MGT-54U goes down the Ford-Mazda Auto Alliance International line with the Mazda6, MV6, MGT, MGT500 and any specialty builds e.g. MGT-CS (California Special). The SGT build is identical to any other MGT except for the 54U upfitter's option which include things like GT emblem delete and the substitution of a scoop-less MGT-CS (California Special) hood (with standard MGT fitment holes). The galloping horse mustang is present in the grille when it ships to SAI -- dunno why, likely because it's plastic, part of the grille assembly prior to AAI build and costs next to nothing.

SAI:

All mods (see below) are applied at their Las Vegas 'racetrack' site off I-15 NE of downtown Las Vegas . For the SGT when I saw it, it was a 16-station operation (15-production stations and one special/fix station). Each station does one conversion in about 4-hours, i.e. 2 per station per shift, based on 15 stations. At the time, it was a first-shift only operation if I recall -- dunno if that changed as production ramped up. All take-offs are done at these stations and all mods (FRP and other pieces) are applied at these stations. Fixed teams (not unlike how the MGT500 5.4L engines are done at Romeo Engine) are assigned to two-person teams at each station for consistency and accountability so it's conceivable you could find out specifically who did your SGT upfit. I say 'conceivably,' because dunno if those records are available or how often team members might be rotated, etc. This is certainly no Romeo Engine operation (which is an incredibly sophisticated computer-controlled blend of hand assembly and computer-sensed automated-tool controlls) nor does it need to be. It's a realtively simple flat-floor operation using 16 flat-floor chassis-lifts and two-person teams. Still I was impressed with the degree of care that was taken with the builds that I observed.

The MGT-54Us are shipped from AAI to SAI by rail-carrier and are delivered at the yard just a mile or two from SAI right on the other side of I-15. When I was there the large fenced lot across the access road from SAI was filled as far the eye could see with black, white, and [a dozen(?) or so] GO MGT-54Us and many SGTs ready to ship -- seciond week of November 2006, if I recall (this is all from memory so indulge me if I'm off a week).

My understanding of what the upfit actually included (I'm sure some know this better than I, so please post corrections if I miss/miss-state any pieces:

-FRP FR1 Performance Pack:

90mm Cold Air kit, mufflers, Pro-cal tune

-FRP FR3 Handling Pack

Dampers, Springs, Sway Bars, Tower-brace

-Performance X-pipe

-Hurst Short-throw shifter (for the 5-spds)

-(were Shelby wheels available right from SAI on later builds??)

Where take-offs go:

Essentially three places: 1) trash, 2) resellers, 3) back to Ford. Some examples:

-trash: aside from some clips, bolts and bits, the only parts I saw being discarded (and given as souvenirs) was the galloping horse in the MGT grille. Possibly the plastic MGT grille is also scrapped -- dunno.

-resellers: these include the takeoffs that don't get scrapped or go back to Ford, but I can't remember which all are included beyond the mufflers. I *think* these also include the pieces replaced by FRP/Eibach/etc, but I am by no means certain of any except the mufflers, based on what I was told.

-Ford: the stock MGT axle assembly is returned to Ford (the springs pulled above *might* also go back with the axle assembly or may go to a reseller -- dunno). I also don't know if the axle asssemblies go into other MGTs for retail sale or if they're recycled into other MGT-54Us going back to SAI to be re-removed again, etc (until all SGTs were built?) or if Ford resuses them on other mustangs or sells them to the aftermarket at the end of the run. I asked those questions but SAI, understandably, couldn't help with that.

The above admittedly still leaves a lot of gaps, both in specific take-offs and where they actually go, but the framework might be usefull to categorize new information as it's discovered or if SAI can help. I would think they may want to help since it's all part of the overall story of the SGT and adds to the fun/provenance of the story of what surely will go down as a 'classic' modern Shelby upfit that marks the first retail subcontract by Ford to Shelby in modern times -- i.e. the first new Shelby Mustang intended for a retail Ford customer.

It also find it interesting to learn how the whole progression of SAIs business, skill development and assembly capabilities has progressed from the first GT-H upfits, to the SGTs, SSs, KRs and, hopefully, GT350s built off the BOSS in the future (yes, pure speculation :spiteful: ) But that will likely be a coffe-table book someday by someone else ;)

For those who might be new to these boards, here's link to Ford Media's press-kit release on the GT-H build which might be of interest since it was the defacto model-build for the reatail SGT and the car that got SAI back on their feet again. I thought there was a link to an SAI document specifically on the SGT build that Amy provided at one point, but I couldn't find it. If anyone has that link, it might be good to post in this thread for others.

Dan

<edit:> link to SGT build in post #14 below ...thanks!

Who installed the FRP induction kit and 90mm MAF? SAI

Who installed the FRP suspension, SAI

Who loaded the special EEC tune? SAI I think

Got the tour at SAI. They install all FRPP items, the stripes, the hood scoop, plaques.

The 54Upackage is very similiar to the GT/CS package, minus the stripes and rear spoiler). Although in 08 you can get a GT/CS with the spoiler delete option. Also the two tone interior on the GT/CS isn't available on the SGT.

Archived