TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500 – Ripples in the roof – has anyone else seen this problem?

Vapor

Noticed after a couple of 95+ degree days ripples in the roof panel.

Do not notice from the side. Note: Hard to notice straight on, but at an angle their very apparent.

Auto body shop believes that it related to the adhesive used to attach the roof.

Their plan is to pull the head liner and look.

While their working on it they have a Paint less dent repair tech removing the ripples.

Has anyone seen this problem?

Thanks Vapor

:headscratch:

Pictures - found very tough to get . The glare gets in the way.

post-20272-1216778165.jpg

post-20272-1216778165.jpg

When you say "body shop" I hope you are using the Ford dealership body shop. In the many years of reading Mustang forum websites I have never heard of this before.

Correct - Recommended body shop.

I've owned multiple Mustangs and have not seen this either. At first hoped it was a reflection. Look like rippled dents.

Are we talking about the stripes or the actual roof?? If roof....you have some stress/structural issues I would imagine.

Goes from about 8 inches above the wind shield under the stripes. Trying to get pictures. I found it tough to get the pictures.

What dealer are you using and what body shop are they directing you to?

Did you notice the plates? They look like they were printed on an inkjet printer. They used to be raised lettering like all the other plates.

Stop by at work and I'll show you. Maybe you can help me figure out how to get a picture.

To answer your question no,First I've seen of it.Here's a thought,Could the car have already had some roof repair before you received it?Bears thought.Painless dent repair essentially reforms the metal that is stretched out of shape.Extreme heat can cause some of the damage to reappear even if only until the temps cool down.Seen that happen so just a thought.

To answer your question no,First I've seen of it.Here's a thought,Could the car have already had some roof repair before you received it?Bears thought.Painless dent repair essentially reforms the metal that is stretched out of shape.Extreme heat can cause some of the damage to reappear even if only until the temps cool down.Seen that happen so just a thought.

Not sure if car was repaired before we bought.

Correct when it gets cooler the area shrinks.

Maybe you're car has too much torque and you twisted the body and something had to give! :) j/k I hope whatever it is works its way out for you. Roofs seem like they would be hard to work on as they seem so flimsy to start with.

Lots of cars that were equipped with vinyl tops in the old days were actually damaged at the factory,The tops hid the bodywork.I realize that doesn't apply to you,Just a little history.Cars are repaired at the factory sometimes rather than scrapped.

Lots of cars that were equipped with vinyl tops in the old days were actually damaged at the factory,The tops hid the bodywork.I realize that doesn't apply to you,Just a little history.Cars are repaired at the factory sometimes rather than scrapped.

Went to the Dealer on Wednesday. Re asked their opinion on the scheduled work. Just the body language said it all. I asked whether the work was going to lead to a potential cut into the factory paint. Likely was the comment!. Concern about future paint match and texture came up... :banghead:

Discussed with my wife and we decided not to mess with it.

The ripple / dent is pretty hard to detect unless under correct lighting.

Thanks everyone for your info.

Discussed with my wife and we decided not to mess with it.

The ripple / dent is pretty hard to detect unless under correct lighting.

Sounds like the right move to me. You could end up with more problems if they did the work.

Did they peel the head liner off ?

Archived