TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Functional Air vents

007COBRA

Good day Gentlemen,

I honestly believe this engine is too hot in the compartment it is placed in. Many members are already working on a way too bring the heat down. I will be one of the first in line when the solution is reached. I think this should fall under the warranty issue because we were told about the functional air vents. I don't think the venturi effect is working with this design. Ford Motor Company (FMC) you should have put a warning label on the hood release latch. Truely, the solution is not a label, it is in the design. I am asking for someone with the expertise and connections with FMC to come up with a technical solotion. Is the solution an increase of coolant capacity or is it a truely functional set of air vents? How is the term "functional" described in this design. Many people will probably respond this motor does get hot. I am asking for help, this is Ford Motor Company's problem. We fellow GT500 owners need to join together and insist FMC resolves this issue. This could possibly be a similiar issue to the McDonalds hot coffee law suit. I hope someone on this Forum can get the problem taken care of by speaking to the people that can make a difference. If FMC doesn't design a solution then WE GT500 owners could join together for a multiple law suit. I say this hoping to put the fear in FMC because this is a serious issue.

Honestly, how many of you have burned their hands opening the hood. FMC are you getting the point? This is not right with the design, so please FMC please fix the problem and make it a recall. I really enjoy the car but I hate burning my hands just to open the hood.

It should not be up to us to modify a thumbs up vehicle design.

Everyones feedback is greatly appreciated.

On another note ,if I were President I would ask all members of the Americas to come to a table to ask to join the USA because we are already running out of room with your immigrants. It is time to bring with you your natural resources and besides we are the Americas. This would really help the US dollar which is more important than blowing it into the sand. We could use some more stars on our flag anyway. Sure you get the problems of the other American countries but the resources and combined unity would make a stronger nation. It is a way of reversing the Euro effect.

Well my fellow friends, I justing needed to VENT.

Calvary Prepare to Mount!

007COBRA - You will eventually get what you ask for as The New World Order is right around the corner. Along with it you will discover our middle class disappearing.

The Sunbeam Tiger (of which I owned one) also ran very hot. Simply get used to it or install a hood scoop for ventilation as did many Sunbeam Tiger owners.

I haven't burned myself on the hood, although I did scorch my fingers a bit on the aftermarket billet dipstick.

The heat extractors certainly work, you can just put your hand over them to see that. Also, I've had more than a few engine compartments that run this hot or worse.

I've heard the SS hood with the scoop up front and extractors to the rear of the hood is intended to cool the engine compartment more effectively. I believe these hoods may be purchased.

I know some of you guys will roll your eyes but....

Cherokees with the straight 6's were notorious for getting hot because there was no room under the hood. I was able to aleviate a majority of the heat by doing one simple thing....

....I placed a 1/2" spacer between the hood and the hinge which actually raised the hood less than 1/2". This worked phenomenally well and although it did mess up the lines it was not that noticeable. A kind of homemade cowl induction and it kept my windshield ice free in the winter.

I'm just throwing that out there.

007Cobra, I was almost inclined to agree with you until you made a comparison to the McDonalds hot coffee issue which was a complete joke that should never have gone to court.

Truth is, Ford went to great lengths to keep temps cool under hood. From a much larger grille opening to the air vents in the hood, a GT500 pulls a lot more air through the engine compartment than any other new Mustang. This was an issue with the 03/04 SVT Cobra prototypes, as well, hence the very wide open grille. 03/04 Mach 1's featured a "grille delete" to allow more air through, as well. I'd say Ford has addressed the heat issue as well as possible when stuffing a 4-cam motor in such a tight engine bay.

I suggest not opening the hood after running the car hard. Or, if you must, wear gloves, use a towel, or shim the hinges up as stump_breaker noted (I've done this in the past, as well).

I cringe everytime somebody wants to sue. Our courts are already clogged with plenty of frivelous lawsuits, so I hope you were just kidding about any legal action.

One car I had with this problem was a V-4. It had a faux scoop for clearance, only it was more squared off than the SGT and painted black. I actually cut a slot in the back of the scoop - you couldn't see it unless you were sitting in the car, and that worked really well to reduce engine bay heat, and increased airflow through the radiator, too.

Then one day I sprung a radiator hose leak, and all that green slime hit the windshield....yuk! On the plus side, I knew about the coolant leak before the thing had a chance to overheat!

Unless you have modified your engine performance level, I do not see this as a problem. I drive in the Nevada desert and have never experienced overheating of the car. I wish I could say the same for the driver.

Unless you have modified your engine performance level, I do not see this as a problem. I drive in the Nevada desert and have never experienced overheating of the car. I wish I could say the same for the driver.

Agreed, I live in southern California, and drive in severe stop and go traffic on the 5 freeway every day with this car, and it was passing the 100's in temperature a couple weeks ago. I had absolutely zero rise in my temp gauge, the only thing I would have to say is that my boost did suffer, but other than that no issues. I have also opened my hood after such a drive, and didn't burn my hand on the latch. Then again, I used to work in a restaurant, so carrying hot items is no biggie for me hehe...

.... and if you don't drive in inclement weather, remove the under hood weatherstripping on the back of the hood. This will allow a great deal of hot air to escape....

I did this same thing to mine. It's kind of like a poor man's heat extractor hood. I also removed the underhood blanket as this keeps heat in.

I did this same thing to mine. It's kind of like a poor man's heat extractor hood. I also removed the underhood blanket as this keeps heat in.

Is there any concern of damaging the hood paint or stripes from the heat?

My car generates A LOT of heat !!

It can actually warm my garage in the winter after a nice run. I too have felt the heat whilst trying to open the hood after a drive. I pop the hood so that so more hot air can escape. When i park it in the garage, i open the hood and place a fan in front to exhaust the hot air.

I'd love to get a KR or SS hood solely for that reason.

You guys might want to check the hoses on your cooling system. One of mine was twisted so badly that I wasn't getting coolant flow thru the intercooler. Be sure and check under the wear sleeves as they sometimes hide kinks. Also make sure that your intercooler pump is plugged in and working.

My car generates A LOT of heat !!

It can actually warm my garage in the winter after a nice run. I too have felt the heat whilst trying to open the hood after a drive. I pop the hood so that so more hot air can escape. When i park it in the garage, i open the hood and place a fan in front to exhaust the hot air.

I'd love to get a KR or SS hood solely for that reason.

+1, I do the same thing when I get home too.

First, there is NO cooling problem with these cars in stock form. NONE. Acutally much better cooling system than many other cars I have owned.

That said, the KR hood does remove a bunch more heat from the engine compartment. Objects run much cooler since installing it.

Archived