TEAM SHELBY FORUM

grinding and thumping

hey i need help guys my car is acting up. im up in new mexico and i live in dallas so ive been running 91 instead of 93, but 91 still should be good. so i was driving around town and my car started making this real nasty grinding sound like a high pitch metal on metal sound so i pulled over looked around my car and didnt see anything wrong and i pulled off and it stopped, then two days later i start my car and my car is making this loud thumping noise and the whole car is shaking :cry:. i know this is not much detail, but i was wondering if anybody could help.

hey i need help guys my car is acting up. im up in new mexico and i live in dallas so ive been running 91 instead of 93, but 91 still should be good. so i was driving around town and my car started making this real nasty grinding sound like a high pitch metal on metal sound so i pulled over looked around my car and didnt see anything wrong and i pulled off and it stopped, then two days later i start my car and my car is making this loud thumping noise and the whole car is shaking :cry:. i know this is not much detail, but i was wondering if anybody could help.

Is it making the sound while moving or while idling?

the grinding was while driving and the thumping was at idle i just put the clutch in and started it it started thumping for like 40 seconds. i turned the car off open the hood made sure nothing looked wrong and i started it back up and it made 1 thump and stopped.

the grinding was while driving and the thumping was at idle i just put the clutch in and started it it started thumping for like 40 seconds. i turned the car off open the hood made sure nothing looked wrong and i started it back up and it made 1 thump and stopped.

I would get that thing to a dealership quick, fast and in a hurry!

the gringing sounded like in was in the rear, but i could be wrong. and the thumping was definately in the engine bay. i changed the oil about 3200 miles ago with RP 5-20 the pressure is a little higher than the midpoint, but its always been like that and the system check thing said it was OK.

ok ive been turning my car on and off and when it turns off i hear this rush of air leaking out in the engine bay thats prolly not normal is it?

I have no idea what it is, but check a couple things:

-are the all CAI/intake clamps/fittings tight? Grab the intake tube and pull/push on it a bit and watch the fitting points. Unmetered air could change A/F, affect sensor masks, pull timing, and cause erratic warm restart (cold start runs off different tables). Does it also do it after a 6+ hour cold start? (ECU uses 360-minute-off to rebase dead-cold temp.)

-check all spark plugs with a ratchet & socket. The hiss on shut off could be compression blead thru a loose plug seat. If so you can just temporarily tighten it, but be sure to remove and retorque with anit-sieze compound when you get home or tell dealer what happened and they should do it for you under warranty.

If either of the above, after you correct it you might try disconnecting negative battery terminal for 10 minutes, then reconnecting and restarting. That will reset ECU sensor masks to zero and restart you on the baseline settings. Actually, even if it's none of the above, you might try that. If it fixes the problem a sensor is probably out of spec and it will likely recurr but then you can tell the dealer what you did when you get home. Also, any Ford dealer should be able to run a code scan (under warranty) based on your symptoms and see if it's throwing any codes. It won't necessarily light the MIL until the code(s) are persistent enough (specific algorythms determine this). It might be worth having the scan done before you do any battery-disconnect reset (above) if it's acting up too much to feel comfortable driving home.

Of course, it could also be a mechanical thing having nothing to do with the engine depending on where the sound is coming from :shrug:

the gringing sounded like in was in the rear, but i could be wrong. and the thumping was definately in the engine bay. i changed the oil about 3200 miles ago with RP 5-20 the pressure is a little higher than the midpoint, but its always been like that and the system check thing said it was OK.

Shouldn't the oil have been 5w50 Synthetic?

Sounds like you are using the wrong oil. :censored:

Coldy ( :cold: ), any thoughts?

It's an SGT. We use 5w-20 or 5w-30 depending on if you go with FORD's recommendation or SAI's.

Sorry, you are correct. I was thinking 5.4l GT500. :finger:

There was a problem with aftermarket type oil filters for the GT500. Is it the same with the SGT?

:shrug:

Not yet that I have heard. What was the problem?

On second thought I do remember an old post about the drain valve in the filter or something like that?

The Ford/FRP filters use a special high-silicone anti-drain-back valve so oil is available to the valvetrain sooner on start-up (since that's when most wear occurs) and it's highly resistant to heat-fatigue too.

If I had an SGT I'd run a quality 5W30 full-synth and FMC or FR filter and still change at 3000-3500 -- cheap insurance, imo.

Don't mess around with this problem, it could be anything. Unless someone here has had such an experience as you describe, everyone is guessing. Diagnosing by description of sound is difficult, what is a "clicking noise" to one, is a "rattle" to another.

If the sounds you hear are continous and do not go away, get the car to a dealership ASAP. You have a warranty, USE IT!

Keep us posted?

ok i got my car back today and they couldnt find anything wrong with it, but they said if it happens again to call them. i kinda figured this would happen cuase its not a very good ford dealership, but its the closest one without driving for 3 hours. i guess ill just wait till i get back to dallas and have them look at it again. Mccoy it has 4 drag passes on it.

Not that I'm fixated on the serpentine belt, but this sort of just happened in my Chrysler a couple months ago. Squeal, thumping, then it threw the belt.

There was nothing at all wrong with the belt or tensioner, all I had to do was put the belt back on. My wife was driving, and she said there was a "clunk" first, then a squeal, then thumping. Then it all went away until she noticed the power steering didn't work, a little ways down the freeway. My theory is that a rock or other road debris flew up and wedged in the serpentine, and then the belt just decided to come off after a bit.

I'm wondering if something similar have happened to you, except your belt went back on instead of falling off. Since it happened more than once, I'd suspect something is out of line or loose in the belt path (most likely the tensioner). There were passengers in my wife's car, and they all thought the engine was blowing up, so it was apparently pretty loud.

ok i got my car back today and they couldnt find anything wrong with it, but they said if it happens again to call them. i kinda figured this would happen cuase its not a very good ford dealership, but its the closest one without driving for 3 hours. i guess ill just wait till i get back to dallas and have them look at it again. Mccoy it has 4 drag passes on it.

So the car is right now? Bizarre...I was told that these motors are very durable, must have been something simple?

they also said that the air leak sound is normal. NORMAL? when yall turn off yalls sgt's do yall hear a rush of air leaving the engine? becuase and sound of air leaking shouldnt be normal, but i could be wrong.

I think I might know what you're talking about here. There is the sound of air when I kill the engine but it's due to the intake. I don't know how to describe it other than the engine is winding down. It's loud and then just tapers off all in the space of a few seconds. I'm not in my car now but I'll crank it up tonight to verify.

Have you pinpointed the source of the "whoosh"? With someone behind the wheel I would think it would be easy enough.

I don't know what part of TX your are from but if/when you get her back I highly recommend Lake Country FORD in Lewisville. I will actually drive from Kaufman to use those guys.

Like I posted in the other thread about odd sounds at shut down, I don't hear anything from LuLu, she just stops. Dead. Instantly. No auxillary, or, after key off noises. Bone stock engine and SAI/FRP tune as well.

If I wait around a few minutes, I'll hear a "tink" from the exhaust system, but all my FMC products have done this, so, it's no big deal to me. My 2008 Gran Marquis (4.6L-2V) does produce the turbine winding down-like noise described. Why one and not the other? I really don't know.

Are any of y'all tapping the throttle a tad before turning the key off? If so, please change that. It's not good stuff and will affect engine longevity.

Ya think there may be a relationship between aftermarket tunes and engine noise after key-off? Could be, some canned tunes remap cooling fan operation via the EEC.

Just a thought...

they also said that the air leak sound is normal. NORMAL? when yall turn off yalls sgt's do yall hear a rush of air leaving the engine? becuase and sound of air leaking shouldnt be normal, but i could be wrong.

Made a recording. Is this your whoosh?

http://media.putfile.com/blow-by-71

I'm not sure what it is but it's normal. Probably a bleed off from the AC compressor?

EDIT: Ok it definately pops off through the intake. It's supposed to do it so I wouldn't worry.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I'm recalling someone with an SGT hearing something similar and it was the A/C winding down. Does it do it if you shut it down with the A/C and fan having already been off for a minute or two?

Dan

I also hear leaking air but have not checked it out yet

Archived