TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I just put away my SGT vert and was driving my wifes minivan to get groceries and I saw a GT500. I waited for it and I must say that exhaust sounded sick. I'm wondering if it was stock. I couldn't catch a red light with him. If it was, how close are we running with a stock SGT. I need a little more sound. Coming from old school 7 fox body stangs w/ Flowmasters I just need some recommendations. I probably should of just did a search but this GT500 got me really excited, more than my wife could do!

Search YouTube for "GT500 Exhaust". There's all kinds of sound clips. There's a couple of different Borlas (also the FRPP), Corsa, Bassani, Magnaflow, on and on, with and without cats, with and without headers.

I got a pair of takeoff Corsa axlebacks and put them on my GT500. Not my first pick, but I got a good deal on them, and they sound great! Not sorry at all - I've gotten two comments within a week at traffic lights on the sound of the car.

The mufflers are pretty much interchangable. In some cases, I think the 4.6 sounds more "muscle" than the 5.4.

I guess what Im asking is if I just change the mufflers (axle back) could I achieve the sound with the stock SGT pipes?

Search YouTube for "GT500 Exhaust". There's all kinds of sound clips. There's a couple of different Borlas (also the FRPP), Corsa, Bassani, Magnaflow, on and on, with and without cats, with and without headers.

I got a pair of takeoff Corsa axlebacks and put them on my GT500. Not my first pick, but I got a good deal on them, and they sound great! Not sorry at all - I've gotten two comments within a week at traffic lights on the sound of the car.

The mufflers are pretty much interchangable. In some cases, I think the 4.6 sounds more "muscle" than the 5.4.

Stock GT500 exhaust is pretty quiet (quieter than SGT) so must have been an aftermarket exhaust. There are many available from Borla, Magnaflow, Bassani, Corsa's etc. SLP Loudmouths are probably the loudest. The Corsa's are pricey but are nice and throaty, seem really well made and show good dyno pull nums too.

There have been alot of clips posted on this siute too. If you search through the 2007 Dearborn tour thread, MrFarmdog recorded over a dozen different GT500s with various exhausts all in the same video -- nice, since they were all recorded same day and with same camcorder so the comparos are likely more useful than manufacturer's website clips which vary a lot.

-Dan

Good point, especially in NYC area where it's a full emissions test.

Bullet/race cats might be a good alternative too and should pass just fine.

There's a few others in here rom NYC area who might have better insight -- I'm up in the boonies.

Dan

Good point, especially in NYC area where it's a full emissions test.

Bullet/race cats might be a good alternative too and should pass just fine.

There's a few others in here rom NYC area who might have better insight -- I'm up in the boonies.

Dan

Listen up, gents. This is important, and it's coming from a retired LEO who once brushed up against it all.

Around me, it's all about the final emission numbers. Two years ago, Illinois initiated the use of drive on dyno rollers and tail pipe sniffers for emissions testing. No one will crawl under the car to inspect anything, get the right tail pipe numbers and you're gone for another two years. Fail...And your driving priviliages are suspended on the spot, both driver's license and license plates and until you return and pass. Albeit, if you can prove 500 bucks invested in corrections and still fail, you may get a pass. This works for antique vehicles, but they must be licensed AV which has restricted road use. Still, only one pass per VIN.

I don't know about y'all, but if I don't have a valid DL in good standing, I don't work. No work = no income, not to mention the cost of getting nabbed driving suspended. In this day of random road checks for DUI and seat belt concerns, I'd rather not chance it. All my vehicles can pass every local/State and Federal tests, anytime. Tires, exhaust, seat belt, what ever...

Also around me is a very aggressive enforcement program managed by "Special Agents" of the Illinois Department of Agriculture, LEO status just one step down from the F.B.I.

The IDOA pays cash money to anyone who supplys "tips and clues" about who in the wild is cutting off cats, and once they build a case against a specific exhaust shop, customers are next on their investigative "hit" list. IDOA will raid the shop in question, close it down, sieze everything on the property at that moment including all business records.

If you just dropped off your car for a muffler repair, you'll get it back in about a week. If it looks more interesting (in their eyes), you will not.

Moreover, the IDOA will track you down as a past customer and (dauntlessly) come find you. If they cannot find you, you will be suspended until you come up for air. They will demand (under a court issued "John Doe" warrant) to inspect your automobile. If you don't want to show them the car, they can (and will) kick down your garage door. Once done and no cats, and it's "bye bye" for your baby. No bond, no bail out. Your automobile is confiscated...Forever.

Off road pipes mean use off road and I mean this emphatically. Not on the public road. If your automobile is licensed for use on public roads in any manner, it has to have cats.

The foundation for this is Federal law and no State/County/local municipality can ignore it, or, superimpose upon it. In fact, many states emulate the legal language specifically and for their own protection. Don't reply here that "I live in XX and we don't have emissions laws here". If you live in America, you have an emission law. Ignore it, and you may get caught up in it.

This is prolly why SAI requires correct exhaust systems on any SGT returning to the Mod shop. If SAI gets caught with an emissions modified car in-house, everything they have in-house is subject to seizure, including all business records leading back to YOU!

Many years ago, I restored a 1979 Camaro Z-28 with some "performance" twists. I had a local muffler shop cut my cats and build a custom exhaust system, from the heads back. Some time after that, someone "dropped a dime" on the shop, and I was on the customer list. IDOA raided the shop, and not long after that, I had two "Special Agents" at my door. They didn't care one iota that I was a fellow LEO, they just wanted to see my car. They brought a flat-bed with them. The shop is still closed today, and the former owner is working as a manager at another local Midas shop. The case is locked-up in Federal court.

Fortunate for me, by that time I was planning on selling the car, and I had my cats restored for a correct sale. I used "high-flow" cats from Magana-Flow and I passed their inspection and testing, but it was a close contest for a while.

Bottom line...Improve to high-flow cats, but don't remove them. As you travel across the country, EPA demons travel too. Smile, wave, and drive on. No cats at all?

Wave good-bye.

Yeah, and in the People's Republic of California, we can't even THINK about removing cats and such. Get caught W/O a cat on your car? Forget loosing your driving priviliages, you can loose your car and the C.H.P. will CRUSH IT.

The State has envoked a zero tolorance policy on gross and/or intentional emission violations, and believe me they ain't been messing around lately. We can thank the Fast and the Furious crowd for that.

Yeah, and in the People's Republic of California, we can't even THINK about removing cats and such. Get caught W/O a cat on your car? Forget loosing your driving priviliages, you can loose your car and the C.H.P. will CRUSH IT.

The State has envoked a zero tolorance policy on gross and/or intentional emission violations, and believe me they ain't been messing around lately. We can thank the Fast and the Furious crowd for that.

actually you should blame the govenator for that.

actually you should blame the govenator for that.

Yeah, he's part of the package too. Considering that he owns an emissions illegal H1, you would think that he would be more understanding about this stuff.

He owns a pre-production civilan H1 (given to him by AM General) that he had the diesel engine pulled out by Dick Guldstrand who then installed a 400+ H.P. Corvette engine in it's place. That kind of modification in California is completely illegal, but the Govenator gets away with it.

Listen up, gents. This is important, and it's coming from a retired LEO who once brushed up against it all.

Around me, it's all about the final emission numbers. Two years ago, Illinois initiated the use of drive on dyno rollers and tail pipe sniffers for emissions testing. No one will crawl under the car to inspect anything, get the right tail pipe numbers and you're gone for another two years. Fail...And your driving priviliages are suspended on the spot, both driver's license and license plates and until you return and pass. Albeit, if you can prove 500 bucks invested in corrections and still fail, you may get a pass. This works for antique vehicles, but they must be licensed AV which has restricted road use. Still, only one pass per VIN.

I don't know about y'all, but if I don't have a valid DL in good standing, I don't work. No work = no income, not to mention the cost of getting nabbed driving suspended. In this day of random road checks for DUI and seat belt concerns, I'd rather not chance it. All my vehicles can pass every local/State and Federal tests, anytime. Tires, exhaust, seat belt, what ever...

Also around me is a very aggressive enforcement program managed by "Special Agents" of the Illinois Department of Agriculture, LEO status just one step down from the F.B.I.

The IDOA pays cash money to anyone who supplys "tips and clues" about who in the wild is cutting off cats, and once they build a case against a specific exhaust shop, customers are next on their investigative "hit" list. IDOA will raid the shop in question, close it down, sieze everything on the property at that moment including all business records.

If you just dropped off your car for a muffler repair, you'll get it back in about a week. If it looks more interesting (in their eyes), you will not.

Moreover, the IDOA will track you down as a past customer and (dauntlessly) come find you. If they cannot find you, you will be suspended until you come up for air. They will demand (under a court issued "John Doe" warrant) to inspect your automobile. If you don't want to show them the car, they can (and will) kick down your garage door. Once done and no cats, and it's "bye bye" for your baby. No bond, no bail out. Your automobile is confiscated...Forever.

Off road pipes mean use off road and I mean this emphatically. Not on the public road. If your automobile is licensed for use on public roads in any manner, it has to have cats.

The foundation for this is Federal law and no State/County/local municipality can ignore it, or, superimpose upon it. In fact, many states emulate the legal language specifically and for their own protection. Don't reply here that "I live in XX and we don't have emissions laws here". If you live in America, you have an emission law. Ignore it, and you may get caught up in it.

This is prolly why SAI requires correct exhaust systems on any SGT returning to the Mod shop. If SAI gets caught with an emissions modified car in-house, everything they have in-house is subject to seizure, including all business records leading back to YOU!

Many years ago, I restored a 1979 Camaro Z-28 with some "performance" twists. I had a local muffler shop cut my cats and build a custom exhaust system, from the heads back. Some time after that, someone "dropped a dime" on the shop, and I was on the customer list. IDOA raided the shop, and not long after that, I had two "Special Agents" at my door. They didn't care one iota that I was a fellow LEO, they just wanted to see my car. They brought a flat-bed with them. The shop is still closed today, and the former owner is working as a manager at another local Midas shop. The case is locked-up in Federal court.

Fortunate for me, by that time I was planning on selling the car, and I had my cats restored for a correct sale. I used "high-flow" cats from Magana-Flow and I passed their inspection and testing, but it was a close contest for a while.

Bottom line...Improve to high-flow cats, but don't remove them. As you travel across the country, EPA demons travel too. Smile, wave, and drive on. No cats at all?

Wave good-bye.

Just one more reason for me NOT to live North of the Mason Dixon Line!!! They'll take my car when they pry the empty gun from my cold dead fingers!!! LOL

Just Kidding Mac...remember, I'm former LEO too.....but DAMN! That's tough to confiscate your car and you never have a chance to get it back!

I guess what Im asking is if I just change the mufflers (axle back) could I achieve the sound with the stock SGT pipes?

I just installed a set of SLP axle backs on my 08 SGT and I have been very happy with the results. They turned out to be not as loud as I expected and sound about like what I was looking for.Be ready to shell out an extra $50 for mounting brackets on mid 07s and up.

Jeff

I just installed a set of SLP axle backs on my 08 SGT and I have been very happy with the results. They turned out to be not as loud as I expected and sound about like what I was looking for.Be ready to shell out an extra $50 for mounting brackets on mid 07s and up.

Jeff

+1 installed SLP muffler deletes and its not nearly as loud as you might think and there is no drone.

Just one more reason for me NOT to live North of the Mason Dixon Line!!! They'll take my car when they pry the empty gun from my cold dead fingers!!! LOL

Just Kidding Mac...remember, I'm former LEO too.....but DAMN! That's tough to confiscate your car and you never have a chance to get it back!

I'm a little bit not convinced that anybody can simply confiscate anything forever without due process in the United States.

Crushing a $50,000 automobile because you pulled the cats is definitely cruel and unusual punishment, and is far in excess of any possible damage done to society. It would never pass an appeals court, much less get past a jury. Do NOT forget that the Consitution guarantees your right, even against the government (especially against the government), to a jury trial before they can permanently take anything from you.

I'm making the presumption, as was Lulu, that you are simply driving your car (actually, in his case, it was parked in your garage, and they came and kicked it in). If you are racing, committing any other crime, drugs, endangering others through reckless driving, then you are in a whole other category.

Although you may face a fine, and have your car impounded in the short term (and even that is a stretch), I don't think you're going to have some cop stop you, and then confiscate and crush your car. You certainly don't have to worry about the secret police smashing down your doors because you took your car to a muffler shop. Besides, you can have a hydrocarbon belching, gas producing, unsafe, federal law breaking, eco-destorying monster truck parked in your garage if you want. There is no law against that, and no law enforcement agency can "can (and will) kick down your garage door" to get at it.

Reminds me of the post I saw where a LEO said he sits on a bridge out of sight, tags a speeder coming and going, times them, paces them, then turns on his radar for the final nail in the coffin. Just ain't going to happen. Too much time and effort for too little return to begin with, and just not enough time to get all that crap done while somebody is speeding down the road to end with.

Much ado about nothing. That said, unless you really are after off-road performance, there just isn't any reason to be taking off the cats. If you are after that kind of performance, you need to keep the car off-road.

Things can still happen that are unconstitutional. In the '80s NYC passed legislation to seize the homes of scofflaws who owe huge sums (with compounded penalties, etc) to the city. It was small consolation to the 100s that lost their homes when a lawsuit in Federal District court eventually overturned the city's law many years later. However, since the city dilligently returned excess capital from the sales to the rightfull owners, no counter suits were apparently successful.

I found out about this quite serendipitously when a Hertz car I'd rented at a NYC airport on business was subsequently rented on the same day to someone who managed to get several violations. Apparently NYC was unable to catch up with the perp for years. Nearly a decade later, I receive (out of the blue -- with no prior contact) a courier-delivered warning to the effect that my home is being attached and processed for seizure by the City if payment (of over $2,000) is not finalized by such&such a date. I contacted my lawyer since I knew nothing of what they were taking about. He told me about the seizure law and said many will suffer until it's overturned (and it eventually was). Meantime, I had to appear in NYC court after sepending many hours talking with NYC traffic clerks (who will drive you nuts and could care less if you house gets seized!) and with Hertz (who cared only marginally more!) to get copies of violations (that weren't mine!), alleged prior notices (that I never even saw!) and decade-old rental records (thet Hertz did not want to release without a court order!) released, etc., just to prove I returned the car prior to first violation and therefore was not the person they were looking for. Really pissed me off since they knew it wasn't me (different name!) but were going to pursue it anyway! I bet it cost me over 40 hours across 60 days plus document and lawyer fees too -- for something I didn't do and knew absolutely nothing about. Oh yeah, my lawyer said I could sue the city for recompense if I wanted since I was totally innocent -- but fat chance they'd pay anyway -- even though they'd lose the case for sure. he said they'd just carry it as a debt on the books and never pay anything.

So I don't doubt such predatory local laws and procedures exist and they are liley not grounded constitutionally. I think some local/state governments know that wery well but do it anyway -- becasue it works.

Oh, how I'd like to see them experience their own actions -- turn their lives upside down. I rate such lawmakers one notch above pond scum on the human evolutionary scale and consider them corporate criminals who shoud be prosecuted and serve time.

So I don't doubt Mac's account of what can happen, as far fetched as it may seem it pales compared to other 'legal' attrocities. Unfortunately, law enforcement gets caught in the middle -- they're just doing their job.

We all lose when unconstitutional and/or predatory laws are passed in the misguided name of public good or municipal expediency, imo.

Dan

Archived