TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The end of Ford?

500HP GT

My guess is that most people being offered the buyout will probably stick around to make as much money as they can before they have to go. I know that if I had a choice, and I was an hourly wage worker that's what I'd do. Of course during that same period I'd be looking for work as well.

We all should hope that every UAW worker accepts the buyout. Ford simply cannot compete in this global economy if it has to continue to compensate its blue collar workforce the way it currently does. They can focus all they want on new products, better marketing, business restructuring, plant closures, etc., but if they have to continue to deal with the UAW they will fail. The UAW is unwilling to allow the paycuts that are necessary and its members don't seem to realize that unless they do allow these paycuts that they will be out of a job in the next few years. Why should Ford have to pay janitors and lawn maintenance workers $40 an hour? That's not sustainable.

It's true that foreign car makers produce many cars here in the U.S., but you don't see the UAW at those companies. Obviously those car manufacturers who build their cars in Korea, China, etc. have dramatically lower employee costs.

Personally, I think there is a good chance that Ford will go belly up in the next 3 to 5 years, and it also seems to me that, of the Big Three, Ford is the most vulnerable to failure.

Anyone here have any opinions on this?

We all should hope that every UAW worker accepts the buyout. Ford simply cannot compete in this global economy if it has to continue to compensate its blue collar workforce the way it currently does. They can focus all they want on new products, better marketing, business restructuring, plant closures, etc., but if they have to continue to deal with the UAW they will fail. The UAW is unwilling to allow the paycuts that are necessary and its members don't seem to realize that unless they do allow these paycuts that they will be out of a job in the next few years. Why should Ford have to pay janitors and lawn maintenance workers $40 an hour? That's not sustainable.

It's true that foreign car makers produce many cars here in the U.S., but you don't see the UAW at those companies. Obviously those car manufacturers who build their cars in Korea, China, etc. have dramatically lower employee costs.

Personally, I think there is a good chance that Ford will go belly up in the next 3 to 5 years, and it also seems to me that, of the Big Three, Ford is the most vulnerable to failure.

Anyone here have any opinions on this?

`JollyRoger`

I agree but think maybe 2 years for Ford . All Ford has to do is look next door where Toyoto & Honda are going to be ranked a head of them. Why ?Toyota has no union but pays well treats their employees well ,also any car that is built on the line is already sold. Ford sales are down 15%& Toyota just announced their sales are up 15% . I`am not so sure a ceo from a airplane company can take over a car plant & turn it around ,might be wrong I hope so . Note: Just toured a Toyota plant & was impressed with their Quality checks& I also noticed how clean & neat it was but also noticed no one was ever standing around on the line.

2cts

What a bunch of gloom and doom crap. Ford is doing something about its problems and doing the right thing. They are coming out with new stuff, stuff people will buy. It's not making cars in accordance with the old Jack Nasser plan, which is what got Ford in trouble to begin with. :rant:

Viva la Ford :cheerleader:

Maybe I should not buy my '07 Mustang then? I am deciding on colors/vertible/hardtop options now, maybe I will just buy a beemer or Lexus or something? BMW is not going belly up are they?

`yamahar1`

You could buy a 2007 Smart car they come in two tone colours & you don`t have to worry about picking options. There are non. Just a thought.

What a bunch of gloom and doom crap. Ford is doing something about its problems and doing the right thing. They are coming out with new stuff, stuff people will buy. It's not making cars in accordance with the old Jack Nasser plan, which is what got Ford in trouble to begin with. :rant:

Viva la Ford :cheerleader:

As a lifetime Ford (thats Ford blue running in these arms) person, I think that the reaction from the people that hold Ford credit notes and vote the stock is relevant. And it is NOT good. New York Times/Detroit and its future

Archived