TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why Did Our SGT's Come with Spoiler Delete?

jaydub Mach1

Don't get me wrong, I like the clean look of the rear decklid sans spoiler.

But, I was wondering how the decision was made at Ford or Shelby.

I mean the GT-Hertz had one plus a different hood, etc.

Just curious.......anybody know?

You know what it might have been? The magazine write ups and mustang forum comments on the GT-H. I remember one or two articles on the GT-H that lamented the spoiler.

Here's the MotorTrend one I remember

Deleting the rear wing would've been a nice touch. The original GT350H didn't have one, and some feel the Mustang looks better without it anyway.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/112_06...car_rental.html

I know many folks on mustang forums (including myself), thought the Shelby GT-H would have looked better sans rear spoiler.

I bet SAI took note and adjusted accordingly.

Hmmmm Thanks, guys. That's interesting.

At first I was hoping for a 67~68 style ducktail spoiler.

But now that I've had it for a while, I think (just my opinion) it looks best without any spoiler.

Cheers.

Hmmmm Thanks, guys. That's interesting.

At first I was hoping for a 67~68 style ducktail spoiler.

But now that I've had it for a while, I think (just my opinion) it looks best without any spoiler.

Cheers.

It may actually LOOK more in line with the 67-68 cars without the rear spoiler, but trust me, when you get well into triple digit speeds, you WILL notice that the back end of the car is VERY LIGHT and you can feel it wandering around back there...that was the reason I decided to put the GT500 spoiler on mine...now, the backend is very solid deep into the triple digit speeds, and I don't feel like I'm trying to suck a little seat cover up any more... :hysterical:

The spoiler delete had nothing to do with history. the team wanted it to be different from the GT-H and they thought it looked cleaner without the spoiler. So we asked ford if it could be made that way and they said yes.

On the hood, we had planned to use the GTH hood and in hindsight we should have. there was a discussion on this with Ford and that it might not meet the specs needed, so we went with the scooop, if we knew all these issues would happen we would have tried something, but our options at the time were the scoop or regular hood...We opted for the scoop

Amy

By the way, this is the story and the GT350 is not in play here. I will say this again, just incase someone missed it. We proposed a Gt350 in 2005, it is always our intention to do a GT350, separately from the Shelby GT, The GTH and all other Shelby's. So the Shelby GT was built with the essance of the legacy and as a great car.

Amy

Amy, can we have a Terlingua hood, puh-lease

:backtotopic: as far as the spoiler goes, I think that the spoiler delete on the cars since 1999 looked better than with. Im glad there is no spoiler. I do agree it needs something to keep the rear steady at high speeds.

If you want a functional rear spoiler it's going to have to be tall enough to get into the air flow. The stock one and the GT 500 one are just for looks.

From Chip Beck's thread hood scoop thread

The picture below, taken in Ford Motor Company's wind tunnel and provided by SVT clearly shows what I've just said. Air striking the front of the hood of our Mustangs flows along the surface of the hood for about 12 inches (laminar flow) at which point it detaches and flows four to 5 inches above the hood until it hits the windshield about one third of the way up where it reestablishes attached high pressure laminar flow which continues until the airflow detaches again about a foot behind the top of the windshield along the roof and does not reattach at any further point. Above the trunk of our cars the primary airflow is about 10 inches from the top of the trunk. All airflow below that is turbulent and low pressure. These surface vehicle aerodynamics are the reason that normally aspirated NHRA Pro Stock drag racers place their center hood mounted Scoops at least 4 inches above the surface of the hood (see photo below) and that Ford Racings FR500 Mustang requires a rear spoiler that is mounted 14 inches above the height of the trunk.

link to picture

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&id=30136

The spoiler delete had nothing to do with history. the team wanted it to be different from the GT-H and they thought it looked cleaner without the spoiler. So we asked ford if it could be made that way and they said yes.

On the hood, we had planned to use the GTH hood and in hindsight we should have. there was a discussion on this with Ford and that it might not meet the specs needed, so we went with the scooop, if we knew all these issues would happen we would have tried something, but our options at the time were the scoop or regular hood...We opted for the scoop

Amy

By the way, this is the story and the GT350 is not in play here. I will say this again, just incase someone missed it. We proposed a Gt350 in 2005, it is always our intention to do a GT350, separately from the Shelby GT, The GTH and all other Shelby's. So the Shelby GT was built with the essance of the legacy and as a great car.

Amy

Ms Amy - I know some people wonder this: how did someone as smart as you, make the coin you do, run the company you run and can't spell worth a damn?

I know how......The world is full of educated derelicts, it is persistence and desire that alone are omnipotent. Education is a bonus for the executive and the company that hires them!

I know you know what I wrote is a total compliment, 100%.

Thanks for the Shelby GT!

Swede

EDITED:

Ms Amy - I know some people wonder this: how did someone as smart as you, make the coin you do, run the company you run and can't spell worth a damn?

I know how......The world is full of educated derelicts, it is persistence and desire that alone are omnipotent. Education is a bonus for the executive and the company that hires them!

I know you know what I wrote is a total compliment, 100%.

Thanks for the Shelby GT!

Swede

EDITED:

I am writing on an iphone and can't always see what it is written and it doesn't always do spell check. I can spell mostly, I just don't check all the time because I know you understand what I am saying and taking the time to answer is important to me.

I am like everyone else who worked very hard and quit school when my dad couldn't afford any help in his butcher store and I did hard labor in that store till he could close it properly and then get a job working for another butcher. I have worked very hard for 30 years to get where I am without a degree and I am pretty proud of that. Of course, not the part where I didn't finish school, but the part where I still got ahead without going back.

I will from now on only post when I am sure I can check every word and every post. Your right I should be better at this.

Amy

Rich and Robert better get Spell Checker up soon

BINGO !!!! The infamous non-denial denial.

Please........ Take your posts to conspiracy.com, they would enjoy these more. This is enough already.

... I am like everyone else who worked very hard and quit school when my dad couldn't afford any help in his butcher store and I did hard labor in that store till he could close it properly and then get a job working for another butcher. I have worked very hard for 30 years to get where I am without a degree and I am pretty proud of that. Of course, not the part where I didn't finish school, but the part where I still got ahead without going back. ...

That's a great American success story, Amy. :)

Amy

Amy

I really like it without the spoiler. The GT500 spoiler, I like but the standard Mustang spoiler, I don't.

As far as the scoop goes. I ran into a guy who is building a vintage mustang and he expressed alot of interest in the scoop. He especially thought the rivet appearance was "tough" looking. So if you can fix it, it is gonna be so cool.................. :happy feet: Hands down, this is the best looking scoop on the market.

Please........ Take your posts to conspiracy.com, they would enjoy these more. This is enough already.

Regarding your answer in another post that SAI has gone to great lengths NOT to picture or endorse the use of the cars together so as to prevent such an inference from being made or suggested.......As they say....."a picture speaks louder than words".

http://vintage.artehouse.com/perl/noOption...c08df0c48c86a1f

Amy

Amy

As always Amy, thanks for the very valuable, definitive bit of information!!

:happy feet:

I have worked very hard for 30 years to get where I am without a degree and I am pretty proud of that. Of course, not the part where I didn't finish school, but the part where I still got ahead without going back.

NEVER to late to get the ole degree. I finished my BS in Business Management (with a 3.74) at the end of 2004 - WAY later than I should have in life. Of course, look where it got me - nowhere. 23 years of Information Technology experiance, working in Fortune 500 companies (the last 10 woring for a Fortune 100 company), over 15 of those managing large infrastructure groups - and I am now selling car parts, making much less than 20% of what I made in IT. What a total let down in life. Hey well - gotta do what ya gotta do. Still VERY proud of the fact that I went back to school (while still working a full time job) and got my degree. If NOTHINHG else it shows my kids how important I think a good education is.

Amy - you are doing an AWESOME job - keep up the good work :)

Hi Amy,

While it might not be SAI's intention to associate the Shelby GT with the GT 350, it was obviously Ford's and Hertz' intention to associate the the GT-H with the GT-350H. As stated many times before the Shelby GT is the retail version of the GT-H...so people can't help but make this connection. It just goes to follow if you drop the "H" from GT-H and GT 350H you get Shelby GT and GT 350.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/gt-h.asp

NEW YORK, Wed., April 12, 2006 – In a throwback to the famed Shelby GT350H “Rent-A-Racer” program from the 1960s, Ford Motor Company, Shelby Automobiles and The Hertz Corporation are partnering to produce a special run of performance-modified Ford Mustang GTs – designated Shelby GT-H, for “Hertz” – that will be available for rent later this spring exclusively through Hertz...To connect the magical past of the original Shelby GT350H with the modern capabilities of the new Ford Mustang, Shelby, Ford and Hertz have again teamed up, and – together with the Ford Racing Performance Group – have given the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H a very classic, muscular look as well as some true performance credentials.

Like the original Hertz cars, the Ford Shelby GT-H will be fun to drive,” said Carroll Shelby, CEO of Shelby Automobiles, Inc...

With 2006 marking the 40th anniversary of the Shelby GT350H joining the Hertz fleet, we’re thrilled to be bringing legendary Mustang driving excitement back to our rental customers,” said Walt Seaman, staff vice president, Worldwide Fleet, Maintenance, and Car Sales Operations for The Hertz Corporation. “The Shelby GT-H is a fun, powerful Mustang to drive, and will be a special part of the Hertz Fun Collection. As all cars in the collection are reserved by exact make and model, customers can rest assured that when they reserve a Shelby GT-H Mustang to drive, they will receive the Shelby GT-H Mustang upon arrival.”

...Like its predecessor, the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H will be instantly recognizable – thanks to several eye-catching styling enhancements that are so much a part of the Shelby Mustang heritage. First and foremost, each Shelby GT-H will wear Black exterior paint set off with Gold racing stripes, a hallmark of Hertz’s vehicle history dating all the way back to the 1920s.

While it’s true that the Shelby GT350H was eventually made available in other color combinations, the Black-and-Gold combo is often referred to as “Hertz colors” by most Mustang aficionados. Shelby’s traditional “Le Mans” dual overbody racing stripes are combined with a set of rocker stripes that include special “Shelby GT-H” nomenclature...

Any Mustang that traces its roots to a Shelby GT350H has to boast increased performance and handling over its factory stock configuration,” said Cisco Codina, group vice president, Ford North America Marketing, Sales and Service. “Ford Racing’s involvement with niche performance Mustang builds like this Hertz project is a natural for us as well as for Hertz and Shelby.”

To put that extra horsepower to the ground, the Ford Shelby GT-H also comes with the Ford Racing Handling Pack (FR3) installed, including special-tuned dampers inspired from the FR500C, lowering springs, sway bars and a strut tower brace – plus a Ford Racing 3.55:1 ratio rear axle assembly for extra off-the-line acceleration.

Ford Racing will be working hand-in-hand with engineers and technicians at Shelby Automobile’s assembly facility in Las Vegas during the build-out of the GT-H for delivery to Hertz. With total production expected to number only around 500 units exclusively destined for Hertz rental fleets across the country, this special-edition Ford Shelby GT-H is sure to give Hertz customers a truly exclusive driving experience like only Shelby and the Ford Mustang can deliver.

“This GT-H project has been terrific,” said Amy Boylan, president, Shelby Automobiles Inc. “My team here at Shelby Automobiles is very excited with what we have put together with Ford, and Hertz – a pony that not only has a special look, but can really run, too. Those who get to rent a GT-H in the coming months will have the opportunity to enjoy a car that looks, accelerates, handles and sounds the way a high-performance Shelby-ized Ford Mustang should. It will prove lots of fun for Hertz customers looking for some real driving excitement.” ...

Even Carrol Shelby said during the introduction of the Shelby GT

“The Shelby GT500 has been a huge success, but we have been overwhelmed at the number of people who want to buy a retail version of the Shelby GT-H,” continues Shelby. “The Shelby GT will perfectly compliment the GT500, just like the original GT350 and GT500 did back in the 60’s.”

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=25119

Obviously Ford and/or SAI are saving "GT 350" for something else in the future, but you can't blame folks for making the connection between the SGT and the GT 350. as the GT-H linked to both the GT350H and the Shelby GT. It's intellectually difficult not to make this connection.

Education is over rated :happy feet: :happy feet:

Im kinda joking. It takes more than a piece of paper to be succesful. I know alot of folks with degrees that have done NOTHING with them.

Hard work is just as important.

michael morris

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" - Mark Twain

Hi Amy,

While it might not be SAI's intention to associate the Shelby GT with the GT 350, it was obviously Ford's and Hertz' intention to associate the the GT-H with the GT-350H. As stated many times before the Shelby GT is the retail version of the GT-H...so people can't help but make this connection. It just goes to follow if you drop the "H" from GT-H and GT 350H you get Shelby GT and GT 350.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/gt-h.asp

Even Carrol Shelby said during the introduction of the Shelby GT

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=25119

Obviously Ford and/or SAI are saving "GT 350" for something else in the future, but you can't blame folks for making the connection between the SGT and the GT 350. as the GT-H linked to both the GT350H and the Shelby GT. It's intellectually difficult not to make this connection.

Blue, Yes, there are connections, everything we do is a connection to Carroll's past, and the Hertz was tied more to the history then to the exact car. That said, it has always been our intention to do a GT350 and it will have some of the same attributes and history

that all of Carroll's cars share.

Amy

Blue, Yes, there are connections, everything we do is a connection to Carroll's past, and the Hertz was tied more to the history then to the exact car. That said, it has always been our intention to do a GT350 and it will have some of the same attributes and history

that all of Carroll's cars share.

Amy

AFBLUE - Here is you trying to get your point across to Amy -> :banghead:

Here is Amy with her repeated spin on the painfully obvious facts -> :talkhand:

Here is the majority of folks -> :baby:

Here's me reading of each and every response of Amy -> :drop:

Let's face it blue...she is in the position there at SAI to to sell it however way she wishes to paint it.....It's quite easy to do in this age of "Pied Piper of Hamelin".

I don't think there was a well coordinated long-range marketing plan for introduction of the GT 500, GT-H, SGT and future GT 350...I would guess it has evolved over time. Nothing wrong with that but it has caused some confusion. For example, how the initial connections between the GT-H and GT 350H would play out as SAI and Ford brought/bring out the SGT and GT 350. Let's face it...the naming conventions gets rather confusing at times. Whenever I say I own a Shelby GT, most folks think I'm refering to the GT 500. Lot's of dealers post ads refering to the SGT as the GT 350. It's not some comspiracy...it's just confusion.

I believe the exchange between AmyB and I above demonstrates that SAI leadership and teamshelby members can discuss/debate issues that may be contentious in a way that isn't insulting/demeaning. Just because some folks on here are polite and show respect doesn't mean we are blind followers. There are things we teamshelby members want and feel strongly about...we voice our opinions and often SAI has listened. A few examples...

-Blue SGTs for 2008. Maybe a coincidence but enthusiasts including myself let AmyB know we wanted this color choice, and it magically appeared for 2008.

-Museum Delivery. Again members on shelbyautos.com requested this option and it came into being.

-Home Delivery. Members including myself requested this option and SAI happily obliged.

-BergShelby/Shelby Snake Gas cap for Shelby GT: AmyB listened to our request and made it happen

-The SGT upgrade package...AmyB today is willing to work with us on this.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples folks could provide. My point being...If we had insulted AmyB or SAI on any of these issues...I don't think they would be as willing to work with us...they might...but honey and vinegar. It's human nature to want to help those that a friendly and respectful. That doesn't mean you are a sycophant.

I'm by no means a blind follower of SAI. The hood scoop issue is an example where I have periodically expressed my strong opinions that I thought SAI went about this all wrong. But I didn't attack anyone at SAI personally.

Keep in mind that many members on here have been emailing/posting with AmyB for going on 2 years now. We don't always agree, sometimes we have had some pretty heated exchanges with AmyB and SAI. Point is, when you refer to the the "majority of folks" on here as :baby: well that's not correct...even on the old shelbyautos.com site, I remember plenty of heated discussions between owners and SAI.

Strong passion for the Shelby cars doesn't necessarily equate to blind allegiance to CS or SAI. In fact I know a few individuals on here that don't personally care for CS or AmyB...but I've never seen them make an insulting post about either person. They have too much class for that.

I think what you are misinterpreting is like siblings and outsiders. Brothers and sister may fight intently, but when a new guy comes in and starts a fight with your sister/brother, you come to their defense. Does this mean you are a blind follower of your brother or sister and think they can do no wrong? Hell no!

AFBLUE - Here is you trying to get your point across to Amy -> :banghead:

Here is Amy with her repeated spin on the painfully obvious facts -> :talkhand:

Here is the majority of folks -> :baby:

Here's me reading of each and every response of Amy -> :drop:

Let's face it blue...she is in the position there at SAI to to sell it however way she wishes to paint it.....It's quite easy to do in this age of "Pied Piper of Hamelin".

SKG, This is exactly why I said you were disrespectful. I am tired of your attacks. You can continue your posts in a respectful discussion or I will remove you. I don't have to prove myself. I have gone above and beyond which is my job and I will continue to do so.

Again, for the final time, The Shelby Gt is a Great car in it's own right. There will be a GT350 as it was always planned and when the performance level is where we think it meets a GT350, we will build the car.

This is my last post to you, warning you to stop insulting me

Amy

Archived