TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roush Blower

RUFDRAFT

I'm going to have to wait a few months or so to save up the bread - but I think I may have said before that I need to decide whether or not I'm going to keep the car at least 4-5 years before getting a blower. The blower will do nothing for resale value.

I'll go with Roush to keep the 3/36 drivetrain warranty.

I'm going to have to wait a few months or so to save up the bread - but I think I may have said before that I need to decide whether or not I'm going to keep the car at least 4-5 years before getting a blower. The blower will do nothing for resale value.

Want it :burnout: Want it :speedie: Want it :car: Want it :tease: Want it :woohoo:

You know you do :drool:

Don't quote me on this but I believe when you install the Roush blower the warranty is honored by Roush and not Ford. With the Shelby GT keeping it's warranty when you install the FRPP parts, Ford may have to reconsider not honoring the warranty on a GT with the same said parts. This would include the Whipple supercharger.

Edit: found the Roush Warranty Manual, it's a PDF file so you will need Adobe to read it. Clicking the link will download and open the file.

Roush Warranty Manual

Carnut - you're a bad influence on me...you know I want it.

The Roush rep told me that if a Certified Ford Tech does the blower install, then Roush will cover the entire drivetrain just as Ford would. (for what that's worth...)

The link here seems to be the warranty for Roush Mustangs - not the blowers.

Bottom line - (to me) - with 5lbs of boost, I think the risk factor is minimal compared to other higher-horsepower blowers like Whipple or KB.

I'd be happy with 425 or so at the crank.

And - I talked to Jack Roush at the Richmond race two weeks ago. He has one of these blowers on a Mustang of his - and loves it. I trust him. :rockon:

And - I talked to Jack Roush at the Richmond race two weeks ago. He has one of these blowers on a Mustang of his - and loves it. I trust him. :rockon:

yea, I suppose if the owner of the company (with his name on the door) didn't believe in his own product, that wouldn't be such a good thing.

Carnut - you're a bad influence on me...you know I want it.

The Roush rep told me that if a Certified Ford Tech does the blower install, then Roush will cover the entire drivetrain just as Ford would. (for what that's worth...)

The link here seems to be the warranty for Roush Mustangs - not the blowers.

Bottom line - (to me) - with 5lbs of boost, I think the risk factor is minimal compared to other higher-horsepower blowers like Whipple or KB.

I'd be happy with 425 or so at the crank.

With the lighter weight of the GT, it ought to be pretty quick. The blower upgrade really wouldn't put any real extra stress on the motor and with the 2007 the body structure has already been improved to the GT-500 standards (over the previous years).

Oh baby, are you gonna have some fun with this :woohoo:

Well - I'm not going to do much if any drag racing with it. It's a daily driver. Perhaps a few stoplight encounters, etc. I just want it to be able to surprise some C6's or Por-shas and Beemers!

When the warranty is up - then perhaps some pullies and more boost and drag radials and .....

Well - I'm not going to do much if any drag racing with it. It's a daily driver. Perhaps a few stoplight encounters, etc. I just want it to be able to surprise some C6's or Por-shas and Beemers!

When the warranty is up - then perhaps some pullies and more boost and drag radials and .....

I'd just keep the boost set where Roush has it and add some long tube headers, x pipe and a nice cat back exhaust. That should pick up the power without stressing the engine. That should give you around 450 hp which will be enough for any sort of a street encounter.

Guest evilchris

I'd just keep the boost set where Roush has it and add some long tube headers, x pipe and a nice cat back exhaust. That should pick up the power without stressing the engine. That should give you around 450 hp which will be enough for any sort of a street encounter.

There are 650RWHP cars all over the place, on the street, legal, in my town!

Hard to mod on a Roushcharger -- you can't reflash their chip... and if you try, it fries itself and you have to get another from Roush. But with the headers and CAI and the s/c you should be good for around 430HP... at the GT's weight, yeah, that should be a quick little stealth pup ;)

I was on the Whipple site -

Their non-intercooled blower puts down about 405 at the wheels - and is $1500 cheaper than the Roush with 115 at the crank (polished version). No warranty with the Whipple - but they are building the blowers for Ford Racing.

I need to do more research on this. $1500 less for about 50 more hp might be hard to turn down.

I was on the Whipple site -

Their non-intercooled blower puts down about 405 at the wheels - and is $1500 cheaper than the Roush with 115 at the crank (polished version). No warranty with the Whipple - but they are building the blowers for Ford Racing.

I need to do more research on this. $1500 less for about 50 more hp might be hard to turn down.

Whipple's a nice set up, I'd go with the intercooled version myself. Here's a thread on Modular Fords about the intercooled version along with some prices.

Whipple Intercooled Supercharger

Intercooled is definately the way to go, IMO -- much better: more power, les heat-stress on the motor (especially with stock cooling) and stays in the sweet spot under a broader range of situations... just plainn better, I think.

The Whipple will give ya a bit more top end, but the Roush give's you about 115HP too and you get a real warranty (not just on the s/c). If you add the intercooler onto the Whipple it's costs about the same as the Roush, I thought.

Intercooled is definately the way to go, IMO -- much better: more power, les heat-stress on the motor (especially with stock cooling) and stays in the sweet spot under a broader range of situations... just plainn better, I think.

The Whipple will give ya a bit more top end, but the Roush give's you about 115HP too and you get a real warranty (not just on the s/c). If you add the intercooler onto the Whipple it's costs about the same as the Roush, I thought.

The Roush and Whipple are so close that the waranty makes a lot of sense, choose the Rousch :rockon:

The Roush and Whipple are so close that the waranty makes a lot of sense, choose the Rousch :rockon:

+1 on the intercooler Ruf. It'll make for a much better experience for you. You can tame the tune to knock the power down to the level you like but always cool that blower air.

... and the Whipple twin screw is a great choice. If I decide blower over turbo I'm definitely getting a twin screw. Instant power and great efficiency.

Okay - let's take this down a little different path.

How about some suggestions on how to "persuade" the little woman that I need a blower.

(no - not that - but a Real Blower!)

How do I justify the expense?

If her mom gets sick, I can get her to the ER quicker? :finger:

I've had a hard enough time explaining what I'm putting on the car now:

"Doesn't it come with gears?"

"How are these 19's different than the OEM's ?"

C'mon, men, Think. :rockon:

With a blower, the air fuel mixture is more atomized resulting in a more ecologically friendly car. That in turn will save the wildlife and fawna, maybe even letting by song of the wild bird be heard more clearly, or the smell of the clover be more crisp. Might just evoke a little more passion in the old Ruf.

Heh, wadda y think? :rockon:

Heh, wadda y think? :rockon:

...an excellent future in politics or car sales?!! :hysterical:

-------------------

Hey, RUF tell her...

... see, Hon, we're actually SAVING about 10-large compared to the GT500 by buying a cheaper car and building it up to similar capability. So, given that the goal was a certain capability, this is a much cheaper way to go and the blower is essential to meet those objectives.

oh, nevermind -- you're toast! :hysterical2: you might have to fall directly to: it will fill a spot in my heart that was empty until I met you, um, er... but still needs some parts only a car can fill... fuggetaboutit <lol>

And then there's always the: brainwash-your-daughter-and-coopt-her-into-brainwashing-her-mom approach, but that never works for long...

And then there's always the: buy it and have it shipped directly to the dealer! :):rockon:

;)

I knew I could count on you, men.

Good form.

...shipped to the dealer...hmmm...

"Honey, the engine sounds different. What's that high pitched whine?"

"Er, um, that's the intake management pulley...probably needs a drop of oil..."

I like it :rockon:

No - I don't think so.

All these sound like I need to have it looked at....

(then comes the nagging..."didn't you have them check it out...")

It's gotta be something she can accept from that point forward...

"They had a recall - and installed some more efficient drive belts on the engine."

I like that.

Just got to remember to keep off the pedal when she's riding along...

"Honey - is the car suddenly a lot faster? Did your tires used to spin in 3rd and 4th?" :rockon:

"You know - you're right, baby. The rears may need to be replaced. Thanks for letting me know. They have some very safe new tires called drag radials. Do you think I should try them and see if we spin less?" :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

I would go the Roush route as well if under warranty, if the warranty is about to end or has ended then I would look at a KB because of the level of boost that could be had.

If I do go with a blower on the new stang I would have the roush blower with Large primary LT headers, Offroad X pipe and straight thru mufflers. Throw on a bigger Throttle body and MAF with a Custom tune and you should be looking at some great numbers. I would also be sure to go with a CF or Aluminum Drive shaft as well.

I have already figured out how to get around the Roush Tune, just purchase a replacment computer for the car and have roush flash one, then use the other for a custom dyno tune. This way you still have the custom roush tune, but you are able to have someone tune the car on a dyno to get peak performance for your setup and location.

The one thing I would love to see results on is a Roush S/Ced stang with a cam upgrade and stiffers springs.

Hard to mod on a Roushcharger -- you can't reflash their chip... and if you try, it fries itself and you have to get another from Roush. But with the headers and CAI and the s/c you should be good for around 430HP... at the GT's weight, yeah, that should be a quick little stealth pup ;)

Well considering how there is no CHIP in the car, its hard to see how it can get 'fried'....

If you want to get it aftermarket tuned with the Roushcharger, you can....

As for wanting to... lemme just say that the Saleen and Roush stock warrantied tune RETAIN plenty of the stock spanish oak hesitation and throttle hang...... if you can live with that, fine... but uit gets annoying really fast..............

Archived