TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil question Castrol 5W50 full syn

magrag

I am ready to do the first oil change on my GT500 and I have been reading about what oil can be used.

My local dealer where I purchased the car did not have it in stock and is going to order 7 quarts for me.

On my way home I stopped by a national chain auto parts store and found Castrol full synthetic 5W50 oil.

Would this oil be fine to use in a GT500??

I am ready to do the first oil change on my GT500 and I have been reading about what oil can be used.

My local dealer where I purchased the car did not have it in stock and is going to order 7 quarts for me.

On my way home I stopped by a national chain auto parts store and found Castrol full synthetic 5W50 oil.

Another member posted that he contacted Castrol to confirm that their oil met the specs. They confirmed that it did, but said that they refused to pay the extortion for Ford's seal of approval.

Thats what I use

No problems

Castrol 5W50 Syntec is what I use. (Only one oil change so far).

The Castrol is just fine. There's a ton of discussion about this, but in essense, the Castrol and Motorola full synthetics are both in use by lots of owners. You can search the forums for this.

Stick with the Ford 820S Oil Filter, or the FRPP racing filter, though, there is some question about the full-flow ability of the premium aftermarket filters.

Ford does not "charge" anybody to meet the specs, they just make the spec. I think the change from the -A variant to the -B variant was mandated by the EPA, and has to do with sulfur content. It's expensive to do the official testing for each and every spec, but the money for that does not go to Ford. Castrol has verified that they meet the specification. I just don't want anybody to think that Ford's making a buck off of this.

See: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=480507

The Castrol is just fine. There's a ton of discussion about this, but in essense, the Castrol and Motorola full synthetics are both in use by lots of owners. You can search the forums for this.

Where can I find some of that Motorola oil at???? :hysterical:

• 2 months later...
I waited until just shy of 1000 miles. After that, I change the oil every 3000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first.

Agreed except the six months thing. The synthetics just don't fall apart like the "older" oils did.

Just keep an eye on the color of the oil when checking it. As it darkens a little that is the indication there are more contaminants in suspension. My 05 Bird gets 5K changes, oil is just starting to darken up a little, the 03 Cobra and the GT500 are at 3K because there is a little more contaminant pushed past the rings and it starts to darken right at 3K.

Besides....how do you not put 3K on in six months? :hysterical:

Archived