TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My First Roadkill

Okay, so most of the time I act my age and don't go WOT with the car. I just couldn't resist this one as it was clear traffic and the this Porsche Carerra 4S was toying with me and wanted to make sure I knew these silly American cars are a joke comparted to a European racing machine. He was in front of me and he hit it going on the onramp. It was so easy to stay behind him as we got on the highway. It was fairly clear of traffic so I thought "oh why not". Well, I went WOT in 3rd and blew by this guy so fast it was if his car was standing still. I threw it into 4th and he was hundreds of yards, yes yards not feet, behind me a that point in time. I hit the brakes as I had way too much speed on the highway and it was getting risky.

So I see him coming on fast in my rearview mirror as I'm putting along at 65mph. He slows down beside me and I just see him grinning ear to ear giving me the thumbs up. I don't think he will be toying with a Shelby in the future. Priceless!

Sometimes I feel that owners of BMW's and Porsche's just don't give the respect the Shelby deserves. Most of the time that I'm driving my car on the road it is usually some guy in the highend European car is the one that wants to mess with me. I know there was one guy where I work that owned a Porsche and constantly criticised my car and felt it was a complete piece of junk. His car was very nice and should be for $150,000. With a few modifications to the suspension of the GT500 I bet you I could give his Porsche a run for the money on the track. Perhaps I was thinking about this former collegue of mine when this Porsche decided to mess with me; you think? :hysterical:

It has only 355 HP and weighs something like 700 pounds less than your car. You probably have a 7.8 to 1 weight to HP ratio and he has something like a 9.0 ratio. I agree he probably thought he was messing with a stock GT with stripes. He will look twice next time. ;)

Jim

A base 911 runs 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds or so, so the base unmodified GT500 should be quicker...just don't try to outrun them on a road course!!

I surprised a Porche a while back, very much the same way. I really think they don't know.

A beemer with Dealer plates zoomed away from me off a red light a couple weeks ago. I hadn't even noticed him there, much less tried to race him. I pulled up next to him at the next stop light, and some young kid was driving, maybe 20 at the outside. Our windows were down, and I looked over and said, "I hope you're not thinking you could do that if I didn't let you." and then I rolled forward.

Embarrased the hell out of him, and he stayed behind me until he turned off.

It has only 355 HP and weighs something like 700 pounds less than your car. You probably have a 7.8 to 1 weight to HP ratio and he has something like a 9.0 ratio. I agree he probably thought he was messing with a stock GT with stripes. He will look twice next time. ;)

Jim

I don't think he even knew anything about the Shelby GT500. Porsche Carerra 4S's are not that quick and have, according to Porsche, 355 hp at the flywheel. My guess he thought he was fooling with a stock Mustang GT. If he did realize it was even a stock GT500 he wouldn't have messed around with me on the city streets and then downshift on the highway onramp and try to pull away.

At least he gave the car a respectful thumbs up to you. It shows that he appreciates other cars at least and knows when his isn't the fastest out there. I don't know if everyone would be such a happy loser as this guy obviously was! It says a lot about that particular Porsche owner. :)

Not a kill story, but fun nevertheless.

I had a Porsche Carrera experience on the weekend of the 12th coming back from San Luis Obispo (was down there attending a car show),

As your heading north on Hwy 101, between San Ardo and San Lucas, the road is smooth, straight and flat (without ANY side roads and only vineyards as far as the eye can see), we'd hooked up since just north of Paso Robles, I was the rabbit, and he kept his distance behind but was running at the same tempo (we were fluctuating between 85-95).

Once we hit this clear stretch, we broke a 100, then 110, then 120, at which time I grabbed 4th, stabbed it and roared up to 145, (at which point I was coming up to a van, and brought it back down to about 85-90) he likely kept it at 120, as he faded in my mirror. Quickly!

Felt like I was back in Germany :happy feet:

Please realize the road was 100% clear (NO traffic), as I wouldn't dare pass any cars at that speed (as they may shat themselves)

It wasn't a race, just to cars hooking up and having fun

I was embarrassed three pulls by CLS 63 AMG.........since then am turned off for street racing...just cruising.

HHmmm, better do something about that! It's not good for you psychologically, a dose of Tvs,KB, or Whipple is highly recommended! :hysterical:

Archived