TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rust Prevention Treatment

I'm in the South, but moved here from the far North.

The POR-15 is really an excellent permanent paint, but would be tedious to put on everything. I used it on all of the bare metal down there (axle + suspension parts). Super tough stuff, and looks good.

http://www.por15.com/

You could fog the rest of the undercarriage with something like ACF-50. This is typical maintenance for aircraft - maybe an aircraft mechanic would give you a price to do the car. That would need to be periodically renewed, like the Zeibart.

I'd get the ACF-50 for the engine aluminum anyway. That would corrode in the middle of the Sahara, and the ACF-50 keeps it like new.

http://www.corrosion-control.com/

Alright enough replies from southeners that have no clue what we (and our poor shelbies) go through here with the Northern winters. Could I please get some replies from some fellow eskimos who can relate? :)

Seriously, i live in the North East and i waxed the entire undercarriage. That should be enough for me to prevent "rust". Besides the rear axle, there's no bare metal to worry about. My car never sees rain, snow, or road salt. When i put her to sleep this winter, i'm going with one of those "air bubbles". My Focus can deal with the snow and salt. Is your car a daily driver?

Alright enough replies from southeners that have no clue what we (and our poor shelbies) go through here with the Northern winters. Could I please get some replies from some fellow eskimos who can relate? :)

I'm from PA and my rustproofing is not driving it in the winter. STAY OUT OF THE SALT! Drive a beater, it is worth it, I drive an 87 pickup, or an 89 van in the winter or a 91 Mercedes car with 120k mi. on it, bought it used and it is a 4cyl 5spd. Seriously, if you can afford the Shelby AND rustproofing and/or mods to the car, you can afford a $500-$1500 beater to avoid the salt on it. Unless you are too proud to drive a rustbucket for winter? I also didn't have a garage and used a relatives to park it for winter til I can build mine, so if there is a will there is a way. Sorry I just don't believe this is a car that should be out in the winter. :ohsnap: Did I say that? :doh: I know :finger::extinguish: That is my opinion and probably most on this forum. Now when I was 18-24 years old I drove my brand new 86 5.0 GT in all weather, it was the only car I could afford, barely afford. I look back and wish I didn't do that now. Winter is for trucks or 4cyl beaters.

Seriously, i live in the North East and i waxed the entire undercarriage. That should be enough for me to prevent "rust". Besides the rear axle, there's no bare metal to worry about. My car never sees rain, snow, or road salt. When i put her to sleep this winter, i'm going with one of those "air bubbles". My Focus can deal with the snow and salt. Is your car a daily driver?

Ok cool, I dont drive it during the winter but I am thinking about the moisture seeping up from the bare concrete in the unheated garage. I want to have this car for the rest of my life so I want to treat it better than I would treat myself so it lasts as long or longer than I do.

Ok cool, I dont drive it during the winter but I am thinking about the moisture seeping up from the bare concrete in the unheated garage. I want to have this car for the rest of my life so I want to treat it better than I would treat myself so it lasts as long or longer than I do.

Get a good car cover, park the car on old carpet, rubber mats or if you're really concerned, put it on jack stands. IMO rustproofing is a waste of money. Todays cars sheet metal are treated and as long as you're keeping the car clean, waxing it on a regular bases and storing it during the winters, you should be good!

Get a good car cover, park the car on old carpet, rubber mats or if you're really concerned, put it on jack stands. IMO rustproofing is a waste of money. Todays cars sheet metal are treated and as long as you're keeping the car clean, waxing it on a regular bases and storing it during the winters, you should be good!

You are correct, thumbs down on the rust proofing

I'll pass.

Of course I:

Live in a "light to moderate" area;

Don't drive the GT if the roads are even damp;

Have a heated garage with an epoxy-coated floor;

Have several other "beaters" to drive.

I'm going to do the back axle when redo the suspension. Other than that, I haven't done any rust proofing. My car sees heat and rain and lots of dirt from off roading. It would see snow if we ever had snow here. Donuts FTW!

Archived