TEAM SHELBY FORUM

should the factory stripes be waxed?

Just a quick question. I have the factory stripes, and I was just wondering if there are any concerns with waxing them using regular car wax. I'm using Meguiar's for the car, and I just want to confirm that it's okay to use it on the stripes. If not, should I be using something else on the stripes?

Probably a simplistic question, but better safe than sorry!

thx.

Hi, Coincidentally I just waxed my car, stripes and all this morning. I used the Meguir's cleaner wax and it came out beautifully. My car is 14 months old and this is the second time I have waxed it. Of course I pay special attention not to rub the stripes at a 90 degree angle. I always wax along the length of the stripes along the edges. I think the wax will help protect the stripes just as it does the paint. Hope this helps.

I'd been using the Turtle wax "ICE" polish on the entire car and it works very well on the stripes. I recently bought a Porter Cable 7424 orbital polisher and decided to see how it worked on the Shelby - stripes and all. I used the Meguiars 3-step system and did the entire car using the orbital polisher and all 3 of the Meguiars products. The car came out great and there was no problem with the stripes. I was careful not to bear down with the polisher when going over the edges of the stripes and made sure to move the machine along the long axis of the stripes instead of perpendicular to them.

Now that I've got a good initial finish and good coat of wax on the car I don't think I'll need to do this using the polisher more than once or twice a year and will just maintain it using the "ICE" so I think the stripes should hold up well.

Hope this helps.

I see so many different opinions on this subject that I elected long ago to not wax my stripes. I've been using a vinyl cleaner and protectant (its also a u/v protectant), called "303", fairly regularly, and my stripes look great. This way I have not concerns about what wax might do, wax build-up on the stripes and edges or potential damage due to waxing.

Archived