TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Automatic to 5 speed...Easily done? Expensive?

philip 87

• 2 weeks later...
How bad is the idea of swapping an automatic to a 5 speed. And wondering how much the swap would cost.

Any input.

Thanks

I was also interested and here's what I was told by the SVT people: to switch to manual requires a lot of work! In addition to the mechanical conversion, the process involves getting into the electronics of the car ie. computer stuff......all told, about a $7000 dollor ordeal if done through Ford. This might also alter or complicate your warranty if car is still under the 36 month factory warranty, etc. So, in essence, it may not really be worth it for an owner if measured in value added benefit.

You may find out something different, but that's what I got when talking to my dealer.

Good luck, Hal

I was also interested and here's what I was told by the SVT people: to switch to manual requires a lot of work! In addition to the mechanical conversion, the process involves getting into the electronics of the car ie. computer stuff......all told, about a $7000 dollor ordeal if done through Ford. This might also alter or complicate your warranty if car is still under the 36 month factory warranty, etc. So, in essence, it may not really be worth it for an owner if measured in value added benefit.

You may find out something different, but that's what I got when talking to my dealer.

Good luck, Hal

My thought goes like this: The bigger the check, the easier the job. Even in the olden days, it wasn't that easy of a conversion - bolting the gearbox in was pretty easy, but all the linkages, mounts, cooling, and various junk got really tedious.

You may want to consider a trade-in.

I don't know what the current or future state emmisson requirements are in New York state, but changing the original, factory installed and configured transmission in any late model car would be in violation of emission laws. It would definately void your car's federal 50 state emission status, and as already mentioned, your warranty would also be voided too.

But having said all that, and to answer your question more directly, yes it could be done, but at a great expense and a ton of work. I would venture to say that the conversion (parts and labor) would run you anywhere from $5,000 to $8,000 (more?) dollars if you took the car to a good hot rod shop and had them do the work for you.

My thought goes like this: The bigger the check, the easier the job. Even in the olden days, it wasn't that easy of a conversion - bolting the gearbox in was pretty easy, but all the linkages, mounts, cooling, and various junk got really tedious.

You may want to consider a trade-in.

Agreed, but I'd consider an outright sale before a trade in. The dealer will either have to give you nothing for the car or they will have very little wiggle room off the MSRP.

If you're really serious I'd suggest talking to a dealer to see what the best price for a car equipped the way you want it would be on a cash deal, then put your car up for sale for a few thousand less. The worst that could happen is that the numbers don't work and you decide to keep your current vehicle, or you don't sell your car and you keep it.

Wow. $6000-$8000 to undo a $645 option!?

Well, you can get a blue car or a white car, for $0.

However, if you want to change from one to the other after you bought the car, then... :spend:

The cost of the option doesn't have a lot to do with it, it's how much it costs to change from one to the other.

Since you can get this car with both transmissions, you're best bet is to just buy a different car the way you want it rather than doing a conversion. Less of a headache in the long run.

Since you can get this car with both transmissions, you're best bet is to just buy a different car the way you want it rather than doing a conversion. Less of a headache in the long run.

Yea but since there are only 4 2006 GT-H's with manual transmissions and 17 2007 GT-H converts with manual's, it makes it kind of hard to just find another one to buy!!!! :)

Yea but since there are only 4 2006 GT-H's with manual transmissions and 17 2007 GT-H converts with manual's, it makes it kind of hard to just find another one to buy!!!! :)

Didn't realize there were so few of the manuals made. It won't be a cheap swap that's for sure.

Beef up your auto and convert it into a full manual! :)

Archived