TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Tank Filling Issues

Ok so I was on my way to the dealer to get the recall done and had to stop for some gas. Well I was about $20 in (that's about 4 gallons here in CA) when the pump stopped. I put in about 1 more gallon and gave up. I took it in to the dealer and asked them if they had heard anything about having trouble putting gas in the car and right off the bat he said we need to schedule you to have a new gas tank installed. :huh: They said that it is a common problem and they will need the car for 3 days. So has anyone had this problem? I guess they are also going to fix my driver side scoop and my exhaust again. They are also going to fix the paint drips on the passenger side door. Oh well I hope my car comes back in the same shape I take it in. :unsure:

Yeah. I'm in Nor Cal.

My solution is to turn the handle up 180 degrees. It looks goofy, but it gets gas into the tank.

good luck!!

+1 I have done this many times, dont have to everywhere just on occasion

+1 I have done this many times, dont have to everywhere just on occasion

Me too. Mostly just at an angle. I've noticed I only have the problem if the car is hot. No problems (so far) if the car is still reasonably cold.

Dan

I've only ever had this problem at one or two specific stations so I always just thought it was something wonky with their pumps. I'd get a gallon or two in before hanging up the nozzle and then I'd go to the next station down the street and it'd fill fine. Am I reading that pdf wrong? Because it just says that it's for 2005 Mustangs and I would have thought that Ford would have corrected that issue by the time the 2007's were rolling out of Flat Rock.

Matt

I never had this issue with my 2005 or my SGT. I was under the impression this was fixed in 2006 and had something to do with back pressure or venting? Anyway, I don't doubt the dealer but this was one time right? I don't know if I would do this for a single incident.

Check out this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26267

Of particular note:

"On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.

Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue. "

Moving this to the Tech forum and fixing the title.

With my Shelby GT and my wifes 06 GT this has been a common problem. Turning the gas pump handle up helps. I have found stations with less pressure don't give us as much a problem either. Both my cars went to the dealer and they found no venting problem. They put a spacer in that leveled the fill tube somewhat where it goes into the tank so it's not so much an uphill battle, and it has helped minimize the problem. They told me Ford really doesn't have a definite fix for it.

Archived