TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ooh, you Maserati TC owner

Drivng thru Gardena yesterday with Shelby's lead mechanic, we pass one of those little corner used car lots and what do I see in the corner of the lot but a Maserati TC. Hey you cant miss that Trident-star grille emblem no matter how fast you're driving.

But its not that I saw a Chrysler Maserati but that the one I saw had a fender badge denoting that it was a 16v car. Hmm did I really see a fender badge? How fast were we going? Well a couple of quick hard turns and we were back in front of the car lot. Quick lets see how fast I can get to the car before the trailer sales office door opens.

So I'm working my way over to the TC and I'll be, yup those sure are fender badges, 16v badges folks. So I grab the door handle so I can pop the hood for a peek but drat the door is locked. But wait a second why do I see but an automatic transmisson shift handle, 16v cars only came with manual trans. Whats going on here.

So back to the badges I double check to make sure that are factory badges and yup they are. They are aslo in the absolute correct position on the front fenders. Hey could it be, no way it can be but what if this was a factory 16v TC with an automatic trans. Wouldn't it be great to beat the worlds fastest TC owner with a slushbox? :shift:

By now the salesperson has emerged from his smokey trailer and wants to tell me all about the car. I threw him a curve and said please just open the hood. Well as at least one of you already knows what I saw, yup a darn Chrysler 8v head staring back at me. :censored: What a let down but probably not as big of a let down for the salesperson as we thanked him and left his lot. He's probably still looking at that engine trying to figure out what made me leave in 15 seconds.

So I shake my fist at the TC owner who added these 16v badges to their car. Funny thing is that the rest of the car was completely stock so its not like the owner was into adding bling.

For you Ford guys wondering what the big deal is, its that Chrysler only made around 500 of these cars with the Maserati 16v engines. While the car may have sucked the engine has a cool factor that makes up for the rest of the car.

Steve

I remember seeing one of these (I believe it was a TC) about 15 years ago in a used car lot. It caught my attention because it was a small Chrysler or Dodge car with the Maserati emblems on it.

I did not know the significance then or now of the car but I knew it was different because of the Chrysler Corp/Maserati mix.

Thanks for the education, Steve!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I was suckered in by the badges too, I looked at that car 6 weeks ago :drool: when I saw the badges in blurry online pic add. Add described the car as auto, but I could clearly see the badges so I drove out and had a look too.

For those reading along and wondering, the badges denote a very special option in this particular little two seat Chrysler/Maserati venture, only about 7% of these cars built had the Dual Over Head Cam/5spd package. Me likey the TwinCam motor, so much so that one also is the powerplant of choice for my Shelby.

Me likey the TwinCam motor, so much so that one also is the powerplant of choice for my Shelby.

I should have known that the West coast Masi King would have been on top of this :fool:

For those folks who are wondering what the heck are those Dodge guys talking about, below is a photo of the engine including a parts explosion. Did a turbo Dodge guy just say explosion :doh:

Steve

Image1.jpg

Masi_16v2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Masi_16v2.jpg

The Maserati TC was first shown as a concept car at the auto shows in 1984. I was told by those in the know at Chrysler, that Lee & company liked the styling so much they hired the designer away from his European employer and brought him back to Chrysler. And that is how the LeBaron 2 dr on the J-body platform was born. Up until then the LeBaron shared the same body as the Lancer (H-body) and was just another boxy 4 door.

I just seen a 86 GLHS with that motor at Carlisle. See here!

That link doesn't work for me either.

But I think that is the same car that was at SDAC-14 in Waukegan and is shown here (3 pics of it).

At the time it was owned by Alan Quackenbush. Someone recently told me that Alan sold both that car and his other 86 GLHS which was also restored by Todd Nelson (who does excellent work). But right now, I cannot recall who bought them.

Requires IE 7, Safari or Firefox Browser to view. IE6 won't work. Not my rules! :)

I use FireFox and I just tried it again, I waited about 30 seconds or so for the page to load, it appears to hang. The only way I could get an image to show was to hit the refresh button on the toolbar. But that is the same car as pictured on the SDAC website.

Barry

I'm surprised how well those Masi motors fit in the L bodied cars.

IMO, they look better than the Lotus 16's....

However...I'd love to see some NEW photos ( by new I mean newer than 1985 mag reprints ) of Mr. Shelby's GLHS. Underhoods pic's would be REQUIRED..... :drool:

I'm surprised how well those Masi motors fit in the L bodied cars.

IMO, they look better than the Lotus 16's....

However...I'd love to see some NEW photos ( by new I mean newer than 1985 mag reprints ) of Mr. Shelby's GLHS. Underhoods pic's would be REQUIRED..... :drool:

Already being worked on and you'll be seeing a lot more than just underhood pics of the engine :drool:

Steve

Already being worked on and you'll be seeing a lot more than just underhood pics of the engine :drool:

Steve

Thats damn good news, Steve....can't wait to see'm. Are they gonna be exclusive to this site only or do you think they can be put in the SDAC newsletter?

Steve

Yet another hint in a series about this semi-secret project by our moderator <_<

BTW that Masi pic shows a car with the wooden Nardi wheel, reported to be an option but the only Masi's I've seen with one have been later owner added.

Yet another hint in a series about this semi-secret project by our moderator <_<

Do I feel somebody poking my ribs :poke:

And I was just considering adding a 16v conversion forum to the Shelby Dodge area just for you :lol:

But seriously, would you guys be interested in a 16v forum?

LMK

Steve

Archived