TEAM SHELBY FORUM

There's a New Pony in Grabbers Stable

Grabber

John,

How come you are not concerned about your 2001. Oasis shows a recall on your Vin #. It's not a TSB.....It's a full blown recall on the 2001.

I'm not concerned about it because I can tell my 2001 has a much more robust design than ANY of the three replacement intake manifolds that were placed on the 96. The 01 has an additional "belly" to the lower side of the intake manifold that the 96 did not have. It has a much larger cooling capacity than that older design.

Furthermore, I have checked for leaks and have found no issues at all with the current one. I will be having the radiator flushed at the Ford Dealer here in the near future for good measure, and will have them perform a thorough evaluation at that time.

One final reason I am not worried about it is that all 4 of mine went bad within 1-2 years of the prior's replacement...this car is now 7 years old, and showing no signs of problems...

It's kinda like the Pontiac Fieros....if yours did not burn to the ground the first 3 years of ownership, you're good! :hysterical::hysterical:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not concerned about it because I can tell my 2001 has a much more robust design than ANY of the three replacement intake manifolds that were placed on the 96. The 01 has an additional "belly" to the lower side of the intake manifold that the 96 did not have. It has a much larger cooling capacity than that older design.

Furthermore, I have checked for leaks and have found no issues at all with the current one. I will be having the radiator flushed at the Ford Dealer here in the near future for good measure, and will have them perform a thorough evaluation at that time.

One final reason I am not worried about it is that all 4 of mine went bad within 1-2 years of the prior's replacement...this car is now 7 years old, and showing no signs of problems...

It's kinda like the Pontiac Fieros....if yours did not burn to the ground the first 3 years of ownership, you're good! :hysterical::hysterical:

John,

Ours is not leaking. It has 28,600 miles and is 13 years old. Would you replace it ?

Here's agood pic of where they seem to crack. It's on this link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold5.htm

My first one was a major explosion! I did not have a chance to see where it had cracked, but it BLEW antifreeze everywhere! :banghead::banghead: I was so mad Grabber, because the car was just about new.

The next three intake manifolds did not leave me on the side of the road. Thankfully, the began to slowly leak around the radiator hose input. The final one put on before I sold the car had an aluminum shroud where the radiator hose connected to the upper intake mainfold, and I assumed this was Ford's "fix" for the issue.

To answer your question, I would have a thorough coolant flush performed, a pressure test on the coolant system, and just keep a regular inspection on everything.

I do not see why you should replace something that is functioning well. Remember that mine failed very quickly......if yours is acting just fine, I would not bother with it. I honestly feel that some are defective, and others are not.

So there you have it...Sudguy's opinion....bet you never thought you would get it! :hysterical::hysterical:

Thanks John for your comments.

A thorough coolant flush and a pressure test on the coolant system will be done very soon.

Thanks Rob. I am by no means an expert on this issue. I just enjoy sharing my experiences with others so hopefully they can make a better informed decision about what to do.

Thanks John for your comments.

A thorough coolant flush and a pressure test on the coolant system will be done very soon.

How does this fix an intake that has the potential to crack?

John,

Ours is not leaking. It has 28,600 miles and is 13 years old. Would you replace it ?

Here's my opinion and why I think it.

Before coming to SU I was part of a few classic Mustang forums when I got my 68.

There was a nice guy in TX who had a site that I frequented. He had a 96 that was fine "forever" - he had a bunch of Mustangs, so had little miles on the 96 - kinda like yours. One day he took it on a trip across the state - and THAT'S when the intake finally went. This was right before the TSB came out and Ford admitted the issue. He was pretty ticked because after it happened to him he researched it and found the trail of tears from other owners.

When the intake blew it made a big mess of his perfectly detailed car.

He replaced it and finally got Ford to pay him back for the change out (at least partially) - but he always said he wished he would have known it was a potential issue because he would have changed it out proactively.

It's your car and your time and $$, but IMO an ounce of prevention is worth a lot more than a broken down car when you and David are taking it on a roadtrip somewhere, right? You know there's an issue - do you ignore it, hoping it doesn't happen to you, or do you fix the root cause so that it doesn't happen for sure?

Just my opinion.

How does this fix an intake that has the potential to crack?

Here's my opinion and why I think it.

Before coming to SU I was part of a few classic Mustang forums when I got my 68.

There was a nice guy in TX who had a site that I frequented. He had a 96 that was fine "forever" - he had a bunch of Mustangs, so had little miles on the 96 - kinda like yours. One day he took it on a trip across the state - and THAT'S when the intake finally went. This was right before the TSB came out and Ford admitted the issue. He was pretty ticked because after it happened to him he researched it and found the trail of tears from other owners.

When the intake blew it made a big mess of his perfectly detailed car.

He replaced it and finally got Ford to pay him back for the change out (at least partially) - but he always said he wished he would have known it was a potential issue because he would have changed it out proactively.

It's your car and your time and $$, but IMO an ounce of prevention is worth a lot more than a broken down car when you and David are taking it on a roadtrip somewhere, right? You know there's an issue - do you ignore it, hoping it doesn't happen to you, or do you fix the root cause so that it doesn't happen for sure?

Just my opinion.

Joe,

The reason I have little faith in going through time and MONEY to replace something that is not giving me trouble is that Ford replaced FOUR intake manifolds on my car over a 10 year period....there is no sure bet that the one Grabber or myself get as a replacedment will fix the problem. As long as you have PLASTIC on the hottest part of the engine at all times, the constant heating and cooling of that material will weaken the plastic.....I went through four, my brother's 96 went through one or two....it's just inhearently a weaker design.

Grabber, if you really feel it's worth replacing, go with a nice aluminum high-flow intake manifold. I'm sure Ford has one available. It's not worth the money it would cost to get an OEM that pretty much runs the same risk as the one you currently have.

Pressure testing and having the coolant system flushed will ensure that everything is working properly. The car is 12 years old, and needs the coolant flushed at any rate. Keep in mind that when/if the intake manifold fails, it may be a major disaster like my first one, or simply a very small leak, like my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones....

Again, I am speaking from experience of having a 1996 GT convertible from the time of new until May 28, 2008, putting over 183,000 miles on her.....it's simply something you have to keep an eye on for the length of ownership unless you switch out to an aluminum unit.

Sudguy4 :lurk:

Sudz,

It appears that the revised one has an alum crossover where the failure is called out on the TSB. Is this the one you went with?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99...49261QQtcZphoto

I went out and looked at the area where the TSB says it can fail, and it is dry as a bone with no stains. It's in an easy area to spot a leak if one existed.

Sudz,

It appears that the revised one has an alum crossover where the failure is called out on the TSB. Is this the one you went with?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99...49261QQtcZphoto

I went out and looked at the area where the TSB says it can fail, and it is dry as a bone with no stains. It's in an easy area to spot a leak if one existed.

That's it Grabber. That was the fix on the fourth and final one they replaced on my car. If you do decide to replace it OEM style, that is the one you want.

BTW...how's everything else on the 96? They have a nice factory burble don't they? :happy feet:

My 01 does not sound as good as the 96 did. I think Flowmasters are in it's future! :shift:

Sudzy

I would never say Rob should go from a plastic intake to another plastic intake.

At minimum do the revised one as seen in the ebay listing.

If you're going to do it, get a good aftermarket aluminum one and know it's good forever.

Again, just my opinion. We all know it's a problem - why wait for it to happen? David's not driving it yet. It'll be a good weekend project.

It's all good Joe.

I think Grabber has all the info he needs to decide what he wants to do. Personally, I think a nice all aluminum one like the 01 Bullit GTs had would be nice if one is going to all that trouble...it's all aluminim and all worry free!

Good luck Grabber on whatever you decide. It's a great car, and should serve many trouble free miles for David for years to come...my 96 was a dream! :shift:

It's all good Joe.

I think Grabber has all the info he needs to decide what he wants to do. Personally, I think a nice all aluminum one like the 01 Bullit GTs had would be nice if one is going to all that trouble...it's all aluminim and all worry free!

Good luck Grabber on whatever you decide. It's a great car, and should serve many trouble free miles for David for years to come...my 96 was a dream! :shift:

The upgraded one is under 200 bucks.

...the shiney ones are almost 700 bucks.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida...01&comp=LRS

...let me think on this.

Is this one grounded too witht he chip seal fiasco? How long a walk to civilization over the road rage?

Yes. All 3 Mustangs at my place are grounded. :banghead:

My 99 F-150 work truck is taking the chips.

I grounded Tana too. :hysterical:

This evening my dad showed me how to take off the front tires so we could paint the front brake calipers red. We will do the back ones next week end. I never would of thought it was so complicated. First dad had me block the rear tires. Dad had a drawing that he got off the computer of where to lift the car.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject001.jpg

Then dad had me loosen the nuts just a little.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject002.jpg

I had a tough time taking the lug nuts off.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject003.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject005.jpg

Dad got me a different wrench that made it a little easier, but not much.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject004.jpg

Then I jacked it up with dad as my spotter.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject006.jpg

The tire is way heavier than I thought.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject007.jpg

This is what the caliper looked like before I wire brushed it and then blew it off with dads compressor and wiped it down with cleaner.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject008.jpg

Dad told me that this would be a bear to mask off and protect the entire car from overspray and that it would be better to hand paint them with 3 coats of this caliper paint. My hand is not very still for this so I held the spot light for dad while he hand painted them.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject017.jpg

We did the passenger side first, and it turned out great.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject009.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject010.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject012.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject013.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject015.jpg

Dad showed me how to Torque the bolts down with his special wrench. Since I am 114 pounds this took all my body strength to push the wrench down to the 95 pound torque spec.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject020.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject021.jpg

Here’s how the drivers side turned out before we put the tire back on.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject019.jpg

This is the drivers side complete. It looks cool for sure.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject022.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject023.jpg

We did the passenger side first, and it turned out great.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject009.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject010.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject012.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject013.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject015.jpg

Dad showed me how to Torque the bolts down with his special wrench. Since I am 114 pounds this took all my body strength to push the wrench down to the 95 pound torque spec.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject020.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject021.jpg

Here’s how the drivers side turned out before we put the tire back on.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject019.jpg

This is the drivers side complete. It looks cool for sure.

BrakeCaliperPaintProject022.jpg

BrakeCaliperPaintProject023.jpg

That looks really great!! Your going to by stylin' when you can drive that baby around! Take good care of her, and she will last you a long while.... :happy feet:

I spent the afternoon with my son working on painting his back brake calipers Red with the high heat brake caliper paint. We did the fronts last Sat, so now that job is done. We enjoyed doing the project and the results turned out nice.

I showed David how to place jack stands on the rear axle of the car. My 2 Ford sissor jacks worked nicely to get the car up high enough to place the jack stands.

MustangGTS248.jpg

David in action….removing the lug nuts.

MustangGTS252.jpg

MustangGTS253.jpg

The calipers were pretty dirty, but they cleaned up easily.

MustangGTS251.jpg

After 3 coats of paint brushed on by hand they turned Red.

MustangGTS251.jpg

MustangGTS249.jpg

MustangGTS250.jpg

Grabber,

The brakes look great. And it's great to see you enjoying your passion with your son. Regards.

Stuart

Stuart,

I too was surprized how good the red caliper paint job turned out. The most importand thing about having this car is the bits of quality time that I get to spend with my son. It's just me and him, in the shop with the radio on low working on the car. David is also learning some skills that will stick with him.

for example, when he did the front wheels last week, I showed him that the lug nuts have a front and a back. This week he forgot that, and had half of them on backwords. I had to have him take them off and put them on the correct way. I don't think he will do that again. :hysterical:

We put the car up on my rhino ramps and adjusted one of the tail pipes after we did the brakes. Today he wants me to show him how to detail the dash with the interior Ice detailer product.

David's Birthday is on Sept. 15th, and I have a few ideas that could make for some fun projects. I am enjoying this way more than building the car models with him.

Rob,

The car looks great, so much fun to enjoy something like this with the family. I keep thinking about the rocks and tar on the road. Maybe rent a trailer and take them for a nice ride before you put them away until spring. O the pain.

Al

David has been asking me for the last couple weeks about using the interior Ice detailer product. So today I put some of it in the bottom of a cup because the applicator wants to squirt. That kid spent an hour going over his interior. It's really looking good. He's pretty proud of his car. :)

MustangGTS268.jpg

MustangGTS269.jpg

MustangGTS270.jpg

MustangGTS271.jpg

MustangGTS274.jpg

MustangGTS275.jpg

Archived