TEAM SHELBY FORUM

steering lock/key problem

z1huggy

Had a unusual problem crop up. Stopped and ran into a store and afterwards couldnt start car because the key wouldnt turn to the on position or start.

Tried moving the steering wheel to see if it was in a positon that was interfering with the steering lock which could cause something like this but it wasnt even locked. After multiple time inserting the key and trying to turn it it finally worked.

Something was physically stopping the key from turning much like when the steering wheel wont let you turn the key until you move it.

steering lock jacked up? Am i the only one?

cheers

Drew

The only thing I've experienced is if I have pressure on the wheel when I turned it off. Then it jams, and I have to hold the same pressure on the wheel to turn the key. That happens to any car with a locking wheel.

For instance, suppose I decide to turn the wheels after pulling in (it makes the car more difficult to steal). If I turn the wheel to the left, and let the car roll an inch to take the stress off the tires, there is no problem. If I just crank the wheel over and take out the key, then the tires are pulling the steering wheel back to the right, and the pressure pinches the locking pin in place. You can't turn the key.

However, if I pull the wheel to the left, it releases the pressure on the locking pin, and I can turn the key.

The only thing I've experienced is if I have pressure on the wheel when I turned it off. Then it jams, and I have to hold the same pressure on the wheel to turn the key. That happens to any car with a locking wheel.

For instance, suppose I decide to turn the wheels after pulling in (it makes the car more difficult to steal). If I turn the wheel to the left, and let the car roll an inch to take the stress off the tires, there is no problem. If I just crank the wheel over and take out the key, then the tires are pulling the steering wheel back to the right, and the pressure pinches the locking pin in place. You can't turn the key.

However, if I pull the wheel to the left, it releases the pressure on the locking pin, and I can turn the key.

That was my thoughts at first too. However I had pulled straight into a spot with the wheels straight and the steering wheel would move left and right without appearing to be locked in place. And of course I was not able to turn the key much like the situation you described above.

Very annoying as there is only one place in England I know of that deals with Ford for warranty work and it can be a few weeks to get anything parts wise.

A friend of mine has told me about this problem and that there will most likely be a TSB issued shortly for those with the faulty part.

If your having problems, take your car into the dealer and have them replace the steering lock housing assembly part number 3F527. This is a known problem in multible Ford vehicles because of this faulty ignition part.

Note that this part is available seperate from the steering column assembly so all they have to order is the steering lock assembly.

A friend of mine has told me about this problem and that there will most likely be a TSB issued shortly for those with the faulty part.

If your having problems, take your car into the dealer and have them replace the steering lock housing assembly part number 3F527. This is a known problem in multible Ford vehicles because of this faulty ignition part.

Note that this part is available seperate from the steering column assembly so all they have to order is the steering lock assembly.

Great info. Thanks Grabber.

Steve

thanks for the info. Mine has only once not let me start the car until i hit the bottom of the steering column a few times. On many occasions it snags but turns when you start the car.

I'll have to get the place over here in England to get the part ordered. Hopefully its a easy thing to replace and wont result in a major disassembly of the steering column.

cheers

Drew

• 3 weeks later...
Had a unusual problem crop up. Stopped and ran into a store and afterwards couldnt start car because the key wouldnt turn to the on position or start.

Tried moving the steering wheel to see if it was in a positon that was interfering with the steering lock which could cause something like this but it wasnt even locked. After multiple time inserting the key and trying to turn it it finally worked.

Something was physically stopping the key from turning much like when the steering wheel wont let you turn the key until you move it.

steering lock jacked up? Am i the only one?

cheers

Drew

I had this same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago on my 08 Shelby GT...I even went inside to get my wife's key and it's wouldn't turn at all either...finally got mine to work again, went to the dealer, and yes, they said it is a known problem, ordered the part and called me when it came back in...only took them a few hours to get it replaced and I'm back on the road again...

Archived