TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

QUOTE (ilmor @ Oct 25 2008, 05:25 AM)

I started my process yesterday by contacting the Shelby warranty center directly, not a dealer. They asked me submit to them, via email, my VIN, contact info and photos which show the defects. I was told that after 2 or 3 days they would assign and "RO" number, which I would then provide to the dealer.

So, this weekend I hope to get the photos and email prepared to get this ball rolling.

UPDATE - I sent the email and photos to the Shelby Customer Center on Sunday. Yesterday I got a reply asking who my dealer is, to which I replied Tasca. Another email followed to instruct me to go ahead and take my car to the dealer now. So, my plan is to take it to Tasca on the 22nd, as I can't get there before then.

UPDATE #2 - Today I contacted TASCA, and spoke with the Mod Shop manager. I was asked to forward my contact info, VIN and mileage to him. He said that after receipt the email that it would take a week to get the scoop, and then he would need my car for another week to do the work. He also said that he has 3 SGT's in his shop at the moment for this fix, so that's good, they'll have experience prior to mine!

QUOTE (ilmor @ Oct 25 2008, 05:25 AM)

UPDATE #2 - Today I contacted TASCA, and spoke with the Mod Shop manager. I was asked to forward my contact info, VIN and mileage to him. He said that after receipt the email that it would take a week to get the scoop, and then he would need my car for another week to do the work. He also said that he has 3 SGT's in his shop at the moment for this fix, so that's good, they'll have experience prior to mine!

A big plus! The place that has worked on mine has done 4 of these and knew everything I was going to say before I said it!

:-)

My scoop is not as bad as ilmor's, I have ordered the chip scoop and rivit kit I will have it painted and ready to go, so when the day comes that is starts to look bad, I will save the orginal and have the new one installed, I also may cut a nice hole in the hood to get rid of some heat off the s/c, Rick

One thing I was wondering - are the rivits that come with the new scoop a chrome or polished finish, such as the fake rivets are on the original ('07) scoop? I like the looks of those.

Gentlemen,

I got my hood scoop replaced at the dealer last week. Looks very good...except the front rivets are a bit loose.. easy fix for next spring. Be careful who you take this too.....the replacement is quite involved. Steve

+1

A good rule of thumb in the back area is to grind out a small hole big enough for the rivet head to poke through the inner layer of the hood which allows it come back up through and not pinch the hood downward from the top. If the installer is not REAL careful it's easy to pinch the two hood layers and you will see a indent or dip in the hood especially in the back corner area of the scoop.

Just an FYI!

Oh, another hint, this one on stripes. I don't know how SAI stripe shop does it but after 4 installations no one could get them back to 1" all the way down. This is something you need to make sure you demand happen and if you can get it in writing otherwise I will be you $$$$ you stripes will go from 1" to 11/4" and back to 1". Roof too!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Well - I've started this same process. . . .

I called Ford Warranty - VERY informative group there - they also said to make sure that I obtain good photos to document the scoop/stripes issues. They will then forward the information to the Ford dealership that I'm working with to get this taken care of.

I have a unique situation going on - my hood is in a box and not on my car. I opt'd earlier this year to get the CS6 hood installed on my SGT took the original hood off. It's been in the shipping box ever since. The dealership said they may actually take the hood by itself for the work, but may require the original hood be re-installed, and the car brought to the dealership for the work. You may ask why the change now??? I may want to put my original SGT hood back on my car and use the CS6 hood on the CS8 project car I'm looking into starting with my Father.

We'll see how this goes - I'm getting the photos together for the Ford Warranty team, I'll get them sent in tomorrow.

Edited by TClark1976

No, they are a flat grey to match the color of the scoop.

Geez, you'd think they could have at least given us some nice s/s polished rivets!! Oh well, I always expect too much I guess..... :shift:

Well - I've started this same process. . . .

I called Ford Warranty - VERY informative group there - they also said to make sure that I obtain good photos to document the scoop/stripes issues. They will then forward the information to the Ford dealership that I'm working with to get this taken care of.

I have a unique situation going on - my hood is in a box and not on my car. I opt'd earlier this year to get the CS6 hood installed on my SGT took the original hood off. It's been in the shipping box ever since. The dealership said they may actually take the hood by itself for the work, but may require the original hood be re-installed, and the car brought to the dealership for the work. You may ask why the change now??? I may want to put my original SGT hood back on my car and use the CS6 hood on the CS8 project car I'm looking into starting with my Father.

We'll see how this goes - I'm getting the photos together for the Ford Warranty team, I'll get them sent in tomorrow.

Contrary to popular belief is NO REQUIREMENT that the dealer have any further contact with Ford after the work is approved other than to mark the work done and get their money and return the old scoop. The directions from SAI say, I believe, to remove the hood. So you're actually saving them time and given Ford is paying so little in labor to do this anything that reduces the time to install should be welcomed by the dealer! Remember there is no reason you can't take the scoop and go elsewhere either so how then can anyone demand the hood be on the car?

:headscratch:

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Some pics of how to keep the scoop's rivets from pinching due to one or more of them going through both layers of the hood. You need to drill out a hole in the inner layer, hidden by the blanket, to that even if the rivet pulls through it will pass back up and only make contact with the outer hood layer. If get your scoop installed and see a slight dip or indent in your hood while driving this is because the rivet passed through the outer layer and into the inner layer. and is now pinching the two layers together. SAI has no issue with this as their guys have done thousands of these but your dealer or body shop may struggle with this. If so this will make for an easy install.

As always your mileage may vary!

-Jeff

MVC_003S.JPG

MVC_004S.JPG

MVC_005S.JPG

MVC_006S.JPG

MVC_003S.JPG

MVC_004S.JPG

MVC_005S.JPG

MVC_006S.JPG

Geez, you'd think they could have at least given us some nice s/s polished rivets!! Oh well, I always expect too much I guess..... :shift:

Ilmor,

I took Chip's advice and having them use rivet nuts along with chrome plated dome top bolts. They'll be here Monday at a cost of $60 for 25 rivet nuts and 50 bolts. The bolts came pacakaged at 100 and they split at 50 for me so it looks like I'll have an extra 25 bolts if anyone decides to go this route. Craig

Some pics of how to keep the scoop's rivets from pinching due to one or more of them going through both layers of the hood. You need to drill out a hole in the inner layer, hidden by the blanket, to that even if the rivet pulls through it will pass back up and only make contact with the outer hood layer. If get your scoop installed and see a slight dip or indent in your hood while driving this is because the rivet passed through the outer layer and into the inner layer. and is now pinching the two layers together. SAI has no issue with this as their guys have done thousands of these but your dealer or body shop may struggle with this. If so this will make for an easy install.

As always your mileage may vary!

-Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the pictures. I provided copies I printed to body shop doing mine. I hope you do not mind too much. They are working a short week this week due to Thanksgiving and wanted to investigate the procedure before starting some time next week.

He was not too happy with rivets in the kit. They appeared to be toooo thin. I was wondering how they can grip holes that were needed for existing rivets even when clearing out the back side..

Members like you and Chip sure make sure there is a lot to think about before jumping in.

Thanks again

DrKSGT.

Jeff,

Thanks for the pictures. I provided copies I printed to body shop doing mine. I hope you do not mind too much. They are working a short week this week due to Thanksgiving and wanted to investigate the procedure before starting some time next week.

He was not too happy with rivets in the kit. They appeared to be toooo thin. I was wondering how they can grip holes that were needed for existing rivets even when clearing out the back side..

Members like you and Chip sure make sure there is a lot to think about before jumping in.

Thanks again

DrKSGT.

Yeah, my body shop had similar issues with the rivets and used different ones, no idea what the problem was but I trust their work and they stand behind it!

I may decide to do a little recon when I get back home. Take some of the pictures I have of the scoop to a few of the local body shops that I've worked with over the last 7 years and see how they feel about this install. I'm going to ask the dealer's body shop - point blank - "Do YOU feel comfortable that you're shop will be able to get this right in one shot?" And see what the response from them is.

I know that my bringing this up to them was the first they'd heard about it - there were only 4 SGTs sold through this dealership that I'm aware of. Three 2007 SGTs and my 08. I am sure that the dealership may be calling the owners back to discuss this with them after reviewing my warranty claim.

All the photos I sent to Ford Warranty were good enough to get me new hood pin lanyards, a new pony emblem on the front grille and new scoop/stripes.

I like the idea of using Rivet nuts also - I feel like it will give a better finished look and will allow for the repair tech installing them to be a little more patient when tightening them down. I'll be bringing this information to the dealership when I get back home!

Thank you to the pioneers who have lead the way on this - I know there were a lot of us here that were sitting back - hoping our hood scoop wouldn't be affected, or watching to see what the outcome of try #3 or try #4 were before taking action of our own!

Trevor

Just wanted to add some information to Jeff's post with some pics. I went by the body shop today and as I said earlier I decided to go with the Rivet Nuts based on a conversation I had with Chip Beck (Thanks Chip!!) The rivet nuts are more labor intensive but I think it's money well spent. Materials cost $60 for the nuts and bolts. Bolts are the chrome plated dome top 8/32 x 3/4 and the rivet nuts are 8/32. Shop marked hood and drilled small pilot holes thru the hood and any second layer of aluminum. Then they turned the hood over to drill the releif holes from the bottom side to prevent a "pinch" of the two pcs of aluminum. If you don't do this you will see the effects in your hood panel! After seeing the results I am very pleased with the rivet nuts and I will have a scoop that can be removed without "drilling" out rivets. Here are some more pics to hopefully give you a better idea. Craig

First pic is showing 15 of the 25 holes drilled and ready for rivet nuts.

Pic no. 2 shows the 8/32 bolt and rivet nut (NOTE-if you decide to use rivet nuts, make sure you ask for low-profile rivet nuts. This will allow the scoop to sit flush on the hood with no additional prep of hood scoop)

Pic no. 3 shows the relief holes drilled on the bottom-side of the hood.

Pic 4 is the releif holes at the back edge of the hood. This is where it takes someone skilled with a drill, small grinder or dremmel.

Pic 6 threaded rivet nut on Rivet Nut tool and pic 7 inserting into hole on hood and setting the rivet nut.

Pic 8 completed rivet nut set in place

See more in next post

post-10682-1227732126_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732416_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732427_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732444_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732459_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732476_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732488_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732126_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732416_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732427_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732444_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732459_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732476_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732488_thumb.jpg

Pic 9 shows installed Rivet Nut from underside of hood

Pic 10 shows 15 of the 25 installed rivet nuts

Next pic shows shop tapping the rivet nuts to clean and debur

15 installed nuts/bolts now only 10 more to go....

last shot is pic of installed nuts/bolts from underside of hood

Hope this helps some of you that may have questions about using the supplied rivets or this route. I really like the idea of getting equal pressure on the scoop. Can't wait to get car back......................Craig

post-10682-1227732826_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732838_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732860_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732883_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732903_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732826_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732838_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732860_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732883_thumb.jpg

post-10682-1227732903_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps some of you that may have questions about using the supplied rivets or this route. I really like the idea of getting equal pressure on the scoop. Can't wait to get car back......................Craig

Craig,

Nice! Thanks for the post!

-Jeff

Original 8 bolt warped hood scoop vs New all rivited fiberglass hood scoop.

Just incase you were asking yourself ... should I replace the scoop or not? Judge for yourself!

Original warped scoop: warpscoop2a.jpg

New rivited scoop: DSC00817a.jpg

Original warped scoop:warpscoop1a.jpg

New rivited scoop:DSC00836a.jpg

Original warped scoop:warpscoopa.jpg

New rivited scoop:DSC00822a.jpg

Original warped scoop:warpscoop3a.jpg

New rivited scoop:DSC00813a.jpg

Kevin

07SGT2591

Craig,

Looks great buddy! I have the CS6 hood like TClark1976, but have also turned in a scoop warranty claim on my take off hood to get the scoop replaced. If Ford will cover it I think going to use the rivet nut for the install.

Dave

Original 8 bolt warped hood scoop vs New all rivited fiberglass hood scoop.

Just incase you were asking yourself ... should I replace the scoop or not? Judge for yourself!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Most definitely! What a world of difference.

Craig,

Looks great buddy! I have the CS6 hood like TClark1976, but have also turned in a scoop warranty claim on my take off hood to get the scoop replaced. If Ford will cover it I think going to use the rivet nut for the install.

Dave

thanks Dave. Don't think you'll regret it. I know I won't. Hope everyone is doing well. Craig

I finally went to the dreaded dealer today about my hood scoop and stripes.

The service guys had zero clue on how to handle the task or even who to contact.

I ended up giving them a short seminar, passing on much of the info I have learned right here.

They asked me to come back Monday, when they can give SAI and whoever else a call.

Any last minute suggestions when dealing with my local clowns on this ridiculous waste of time?

Ken

Have them install the "SHAKER HOOD" and Functional Air Scoop..............

It will look B :censored: n on the Shelby GT and solve the problem.................. :happy feet:

Yours will be Special and Unique............... B)