TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

I have requested from SAI , Amy , etc that a Offical Letter on SAI letter head be sent to the owners eplaining these defects and the promise to be responsible for repairing them per their warranty , and even possibly after the stated 3yr/36000 miles , if thats what it is. I have said that this is the standard in the automotive industry and the ethical thing to do . I have worried that the repairs offered have been half harted and minimal measures so as to claim they are working the problem just long enough to let the Warranty run out , with out the official acknowlegement from SAI that there is a defect in the scoop of this car .......we have no assurance that SAI and Ford can't turn their backs on us.

I said this over, and over , and it was not taken seriously , but when I hear your story and others now I think a can say "I told you so " but I won't .

ZDS

Ahh, Thanks for the insight. I agree fully with you.

Ahh, Thanks for the insight. I agree fully with you.

I submitted pictures to the local Ford dealer here in Santa Maria , over a month ago and I knew then they would never respond , the basic

questions are:

1. What is the qualification criteria for determining a defective scoop that needs repair, no letter was ever sent a letter to define it .

2. Who determines if your scoop meets the criteria.

3. What portion of the defect repair will SAI cover (see I'm even giving them some slack) .

4. Provide a list of Dealers or shops competent to make this repair.

SAI has never responded in any professional , ethical manner to these questions, and of course Ford Inc will not get involved if they don't have to. Some people who are lucky enough to have a dealer that has some understanding of how to treat their customers at least get a honest effort , but if SAI sends them half baked ameturish repairs just to say hey look we are trying ,,,,,,,,while the Warranty runs out , I'm sure the dealers have no choice.

It all leaves the customer to fend for themselves , thats why I ordered Chip Beck / Heath Scoop , though it seems long in getting here . I believe they may recieve alot of orderes ,,,,even at the $850.00 I sent them I feel I am at least in some control of the problem.

My suggestion order the Chip Beck / Heath Scoop ..........................and find a good body shop ................................ZDS

I started my process yesterday by contacting the Shelby warranty center directly, not a dealer. They asked me submit to them, via email, my VIN, contact info and photos which show the defects. I was told that after 2 or 3 days they would assign and "RO" number, which I would then provide to the dealer.

So, this weekend I hope to get the photos and email prepared to get this ball rolling.

I started my process yesterday by contacting the Shelby warranty center directly, not a dealer. They asked me submit to them, via email, my VIN, contact info and photos which show the defects. I was told that after 2 or 3 days they would assign and "RO" number, which I would then provide to the dealer.

So, this weekend I hope to get the photos and email prepared to get this ball rolling.

Ilmor, Whats the phone number you called ?please let me have that ? I'd like to talk with them......................ZDS

It all leaves the customer to fend for themselves , thats why I ordered Chip Beck / Heath Scoop , though it seems long in getting here . I believe they may recieve alot of orderes ,,,,even at the $850.00 I sent them I feel I am at least in some control of the problem.

I thought they were $500 + Shipping??? I've been saving my extra "lunch money" since I saw Chip's pictures... What made it go up an additional $350??? THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

• 2 weeks later...
I thought they were $500 + Shipping??? I've been saving my extra "lunch money" since I saw Chip's pictures... What made it go up an additional $350??? THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Gregg,

I think he had them paint it and included hardware as well. Call Phoenix Composites and they can advise.

Chip

UPDATE - I sent the email and photos to the Shelby Customer Center on Sunday. Yesterday I got a reply asking who my dealer is, to which I replied Tasca. Another email followed to instruct me to go ahead and take my car to the dealer now. So, my plan is to take it to Tasca on the 22nd, as I can't get there before then.

UPDATE - I sent the email and photos to the Shelby Customer Center on Sunday. Yesterday I got a reply asking who my dealer is, to which I replied Tasca. Another email followed to instruct me to go ahead and take my car to the dealer now. So, my plan is to take it to Tasca on the 22nd, as I can't get there before then.

Good luck with the install Ilmore. I know you'll keep us posted. You're lucky having Tasca near you. I started the process Monday, pictures and all. My dealer doesn't have a body shop and subs the work out. I'll talk with the installer before they start and if I'm to be their first ...well, I'll probably have to pass. I sure would like to have this behind me :fear:

Jim

I have an early number 07 #461. I have never had or seen a problem with my scoop. Was there a timeframe that this was an issue, or is it across the board?

I wonder if these problems don't just creep up much sooner in hotter climates.

I purchased my 08 a month ago and the scoop is warped dramatically.

The car sat outside in Sacramento all summer long, where it's regularly 100+ degrees.

I'd be curious to find out how many of the guys with similar issues live in warmer weather areas.

How can this only be a few of the cars that were built, if the problem from last year still exists on a mid-production 08? I doubt it is. If your scoop isn't screwed now, give it a few years. I can't BELIEVE that SAI wouldn't just recall all these tupperware bowls. It's ridiculous, especially for how much we all pay for them to begin with.

I'll be getting the warranty claim going asap, then ordering the chip/heath replacement when I have the funds.

Ken

Edited by kahmann

The car sat outside in Sacramento all summer long, where it's regularly 100+ degrees.

I'd be curious to find out how many of the guys with similar issues live in warmer weather areas.

How can this only be a few of the cars that were built, if the problem from last year still exists on a mid-production 08? I doubt it is. If your scoop isn't screwed now, give it a few years. I can't BELIEVE that SAI wouldn't just recall all these tupperware bowls. It's ridiculous, especially for how much we all pay for them to begin with.

I'll be getting the warranty claim going asap, then ordering the chip/heath replacement when I have the funds.

Ken

I saw a blue 08 at a dealer over the Summer that had the scoop riveted. It was horrible how the stripes were wrinkled. WTF? :doh:

Ken

My scoop (an original 4-bolt), doesn't look "too" bad when its been sitting in the garage, or on a warm day...however, if I take it out when its cold, the scoop plastic begins to contract and the edges curl up. You can see it in these photos, which were taken on a 45 degree day. It gets worse below freezing.

hoodscoop2008-11-02009.jpg

hoodscoop2008-11-02006.jpg

hoodscoop2008-11-02012.jpg

Mine is exactly the same as Ilmor's it's pretty good during warmer weather but when it starts getting cold it starts lifting. I guess maybe you're not supposed to drive them during colder weather, I guess I missed that statement in my owner's manual. I can see why SAI doesn't want a full scale recall as I have heard somewhere that they said these scoops cost around $400, so 400 x approx 8000 units = 3 plus million.

My scoop (an original 4-bolt), doesn't look "too" bad when its been sitting in the garage, or on a warm day...however, if I take it out when its cold, the scoop plastic begins to contract and the edges curl up. You can see it in these photos, which were taken on a 45 degree day. It gets worse below freezing.

my scoop is exactly the same way. I am going to a third dealer today to see if they can handle the rivets. I was actually referred to this dealer by another. It seems no one wants to touch these for fear of damaging the hood, thus costing the dealer more $$$ out of pocket. I was just going to drive my SGT to Quantum and have them do the install, but in order for it to be covered under warranty, it HAS to go through a Ford dealer. I was told this through SAI. SAI said they can't even replace the hoods via warranty claim.

Ilmor, you are lucky that Taska is also a dealer.

Chris

Edited by chrisminx

I have an early number 07 #461. I have never had or seen a problem with my scoop. Was there a timeframe that this was an issue, or is it across the board?

Masters, my car is #471 and it is not so bad, no stripe issues, a little daylight on different days. Garage kept colder climate, saying that I say car #340 I believe, parked on the street same climate, and it had both issues. Different installers?

Masters, my car is #471 and it is not so bad, no stripe issues, a little daylight on different days. Garage kept colder climate, saying that I say car #340 I believe, parked on the street same climate, and it had both issues. Different installers?

Sounds like mine is the same as yours. A little space but I don't see much variation, if any. Are you looking to addresss yours?

My scoop is pretty much the same as Ilmor's also. My stripes look good except for two small areas, one at the rear of the top (no biggie as you don't notice it easily) but the other at the rear of the hood is right in my line of sight and really bugs me. There's a small piece of blue plastic stuck under the end of the stripe :shrug: To show the amount of warping in the scoop I placed playing cards between the scoop and hood at several spots. I received an e-mail from Ford Warranty stating the scoop and stripes will be covered and I should hear from my dealer soon.

Jim

shelby064.jpg

shelby067.jpg

shelby060.jpg

shelby061.jpg

My scoop is pretty much the same as Ilmor's also. My stripes look good except for two small areas, one at the rear of the top (no biggie as you don't notice it easily) but the other at the rear of the hood is right in my line of sight and really bugs me. There's a small piece of blue plastic stuck under the end of the stripe :shrug: To show the amount of warping in the scoop I placed playing cards between the scoop and hood at several spots. I received an e-mail from Ford Warranty stating the scoop and stripes will be covered and I should hear from my dealer soon.

Jim

shelby064.jpg

shelby067.jpg

shelby060.jpg

shelby061.jpg

The third pic appears to make the front of the scoop look twisted. Is that the case?

Mine is exactly the same as Ilmor's it's pretty good during warmer weather but when it starts getting cold it starts lifting. I guess maybe you're not supposed to drive them during colder weather, I guess I missed that statement in my owner's manual. I can see why SAI doesn't want a full scale recall as I have heard somewhere that they said these scoops cost around $400, so 400 x approx 8000 units = 3 plus million.

During the 2008 Dearborn event several people looked at mine and commented that it looked pretty good, very little to notice. Since the weather has gotten cooler the sides have developed a sunken area at the rear and a rib shows midway to the front. There is quite an incosistent gap to hood as you go around the perimeter. Really annoying while driving.

Took Bud's note about 3/36 and number to call to help the dealer call on Wednesday. Have not heard back yet. Certainly would like to determine if work can be done before putting it away for winter.

Tough getting good pictures but here is what have.

Hood_scoop_1.JPGHood_scoop_2.JPG

DrKSGT

Hood_scoop_2.JPG

Hood_scoop_1.JPG

The third pic appears to make the front of the scoop look twisted. Is that the case?

No, actually other than the contact area not being flat with the hood, the scoop is pretty good. There are no dips like the later scoops were affected with. The tape stripe in the center of the scoop isn't perfectly in line with the center of the hood stripes though. I think who did my hood stripes must have been having a rough day witnessed by the blue plastic stuck under the stripe :banghead:

JIM

Since the weather has gotten cooler the sides have developed a sunken area at the rear and a rib shows midway to the front. There is quite an incosistent gap to hood as you go around the perimeter. Really annoying while driving.

Gentlemen,

The Shelby GT is a serious piece of hardware backed up with 4 decades of racing and street performance heritage. An amazingly capable automobile whether it's normally aspirated and supercharged. I normally enjoy taking one of my enthusiast friends out for a drive in one of my cars. But prior to fixing my warped and curled up soft plastic hood scoop, it was always the first thing that came up and it drove me nuts. Somebody would get in the passenger seat of my Shelby GT and the first thing they would see as they looked out over the hood was daylight between the rear edges of the scoop and the hood. Inevitably, the first thing out of their mouth was, "What happened to your hood scoop?" How seriously can you take an automobile when it has a soft plastic, warped, curled up scoop bolted to the hood? It was like buying a custom tailored solid black Armani suit and wearing a pair of Mickey Mouse ears every time you went out in it. Nobody would even notice the suit as they fixated on the ridiculous ears you were sporting and asked about them.

Just as removing the Mickey Mouse ears would transform your entire experience out on the town in that black Armani, replacing my hood scoop with a custom fitted, temperature impervious, functional scoop that is visually indistinguishable from the original has transformed my entire ownership experience with my Shelby GT. Everybody that examines my car at a Mustang show looks into that scoop. When the light is right they can see the top of my supercharger. But even if all they can see is black when they look into that open scoop, it gives the car a very serious appearance.

My original warped hood scoop with the black plastic block off plate made a statement.....cheap pretender. My replacement open hood scoop speaks a different language.....serious performance. A statement the car is able to back up.

Going from this. :rant2:

post-12804-1226268381_thumb.jpg

To this. :happy feet:

post-12804-1226268392_thumb.jpg

Makes all the difference!

Chip

Gentlemen,

The Shelby GT is a serious piece of hardware backed up with 4 decades of racing and street performance heritage. An amazingly capable automobile whether it's normally aspirated and supercharged. I normally enjoy taking one of my enthusiast friends out for a drive in one of my cars. But prior to fixing my warped and curled up soft plastic hood scoop, it was always the first thing that came up and it drove me nuts. Somebody would get in the passenger seat of my Shelby GT and the first thing they would see as they looked out over the hood was daylight between the rear edges of the scoop and the hood. Inevitably, the first thing out of their mouth was, "What happened to your hood scoop?" How seriously can you take an automobile when it has a soft plastic, warped, curled up scoop bolted to the hood? It was like buying a custom tailored solid black Armani suit and wearing a pair of Mickey Mouse ears every time you went out in it. Nobody would even notice the suit as they fixated on the ridiculous ears you were sporting and asked about them.

Just as removing the Mickey Mouse ears would transform your entire experience out on the town in that black Armani, replacing my hood scoop with a custom fitted, temperature impervious, functional scoop that is visually indistinguishable from the original has transformed my entire ownership experience with my Shelby GT. Everybody that examines my car at a Mustang show looks into that scoop. When the light is right they can see the top of my supercharger. But even if all they can see is black when they look into that open scoop, it gives the car a very serious appearance.

My original warped hood scoop with the black plastic block off plate made a statement.....cheap pretender. My replacement open hood scoop speaks a different language.....serious performance. A statement the car is able to back up.

Going from this. :rant2:

To this. :happy feet:

Makes all the difference!

Chip

Chip , I just received the Heath / Beck , Beck / Heath ???? Scoop yesterday ,,,,,,,,,Packed correctly , and delivered to my door . What a great piece ,,,,,,,,,,,,Aircraft Quality .................not a flaw in the layup , or the paint ............I am definately impressed , it is surely what should have been on this car to begin with . I will make the install on quiet day , and try to save the strips , though after seeing the paint I would love to do the whole car ............geez what would that cost ...........any way thanks .................... ZDS

Chip , I just received the Heath / Beck , Beck / Heath ???? Scoop yesterday ,,,,,,,,,Packed correctly , and delivered to my door . What a great piece ,,,,,,,,,,,,Aircraft Quality .................not a flaw in the layup , or the paint ............I am definately impressed , it is surely what should have been on this car to begin with . I will make the install on quiet day , and try to save the strips , though after seeing the paint I would love to do the whole car ............geez what would that cost ...........any way thanks .................... ZDS

ZDS,

Can you enlighten me more on the Heath / Beck scoop? I had not followed all the scoop thread to understand what this is. Kind of ignored as my had been ok till recently.

Clearly Chip's final scoop picture gives me a goal to meet.

Thanks

DrKSGT

ZDS,

Can you enlighten me more on the Heath / Beck scoop? I had not followed all the scoop thread to understand what this is. Kind of ignored as my had been ok till recently.

Thanks

DrKSGT

Chip is associated with an avaition company called Phoenix Composites , one of the technicains ,Heath, is skilled in layup of fiberglass and composite materials for air craft cowlings etc. He devepoled the exact scoop in much better materials that fits perfectly and is functional as a heat extractor , Chip has installed it anf tested it on his White SGT , and it's perfect , it installs with rivnuts which he supplies with the scoop , can't tell you how long it takes to get one , they had made up 5 or 6 initially and I think I got one ...............you'd need to contact Chip or Heath

ZDS,

Thanks

DrKSGT

DrKSGT,

Click on the search feature at the top of the team Shelby Forum home page, and type in.......Absolute Hood Scoop Final Fix....... and then click on the thread that I started under that title. That thread is now eight pages long but you can condense it quite a bit by just reading my posts. There is a ton of research there detailing both my findings on the original scoops and the development work done on an aviation grade scoop we are using to correct this problem once and for all. It is a whole lot cheaper than buying a CS6 Shelby hood and preserves the original look of your Shelby GT. All the information you seek will be found in that thread. I have no financial involvement in Phoenix Composites nor do I benefit in any way, financially or otherwise, when a Team Shelby number has one of these built. I spent several thousand dollars and a ton of my time developing this fix for my personal car. With all of that done it seemed like a shame to let that work go to waste so I told Phoenix Composites they could use my mold and method to build a scoop for any TS member that wants one. As they have built several of these they have gotten better at it and the scoops they are sending out today are nicer than mine which is pictured below. With the development work done you can have one built for less than 1/5 of what it cost me to have mine built. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with Heath. All the best.

Chip

post-12804-1226298148_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226298157_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1226298168_thumb.jpg

I have decided to go with Chip Beck scoop after sitting on fence for 2 years, it seems SAI just cannot get it right, money out of my pocket but scoop done right. Spoke with Chip, and Heath ,and Dace all were VERY helpful. Ordered in primer with install kit will have put on at the body shop that repainted my 69 and 67 Shelbys I trust them ALOT more than some kid at Ford dealer ship Bruce