TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

Where do you live Matt? We live in Sarasota. Wifey takes her car to the dealer here in Sarasota,and she only allows it to be wrenched on by 1 person,who is a certified SVT mechanic etc.

If Sarasota is a reasonable drive for ya,let Sdear or I know,and we'll see bout hookin you up with a trustworthy mechanic.

Where do you live Matt? We live in Sarasota. Wifey takes her car to the dealer here in Sarasota,and she only allows it to be wrenched on by 1 person,who is a certified SVT mechanic etc.

If Sarasota is a reasonable drive for ya,let Sdear or I know,and we'll see bout hookin you up with a trustworthy mechanic.

I live in Winter Haven, so it's a little over 200 miles roundtrip to Sarasota. I'll keep your offer in mind if I ever need to have any mechanical work done though... Thanks!

Scoops are obviously starting to show up for replacement. I requested that a new one be put on so I didn't end up back there in 3 months. I'm pretty happy with the fitment, very sturdy compared to the other. Tape job down the middle of it seems to be improved as well?

DSC05805.jpg

DSC05807.jpg

DSC05808.jpgDSC05806.jpg

Looks great. If I ever get the nerve to have mine replaced I hope it comes out as well. I know you're happy.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something? Is Horsbyt's scoop the final product? (It does look good.) Has SAI released their final solution, which is now available at dealers? Or is this one of those "interim" fixes? Consolidating these threads didn't help me much. It still isn't easy to find the information you want. I was waiting for the absolute-final-we're-done-messing'-with-it fix to get my scoop replaced. Is this it?

Am I missing something? Is Horsbyt's scoop the final product? (It does look good.) Has SAI released their final solution, which is now available at dealers? Or is this one of those "interim" fixes? Consolidating these threads didn't help me much. It still isn't easy to find the information you want. I was waiting for the absolute-final-we're-done-messing'-with-it fix to get my scoop replaced. Is this it?

SAI has come out with a revised scoop that is made of a sturdier material, initially with rivet holes but it was noticed that the scoop is slightly larger and the holes didn't line up with those that already had a previous version with all rivets. Now they are sending out scoops without holes and the installer must mark existing hole locations and drill the scoop. Oh and by the way SAI has not offcially annouced the new scoop they are waiting for some feed back from those few that receive it before they make the announcement. If you make a claim to get you scoop replaced you should receive the latest and hopefully the last version of the scoop. Quantities of the new scoop may be limited until SAI officially annpunces it's release.

Hope this helps, Don

Scoops are obviously starting to show up for replacement. I requested that a new one be put on so I didn't end up back there in 3 months. I'm pretty happy with the fitment, very sturdy compared to the other. Tape job down the middle of it seems to be improved as well?

It looks great! Thanks for the pics.

My dealer contacted ford performance about the size difference and the guy at ford performance said all the scoops are the same size. So we set up at time to take my car in, but my husband said if the holes don't match up we will get a new hood for the car. We are growing tired of the hoodscoop issues. I love my car even better than my husbands GT500 and I would really like to keep the original look. But if I have issues come Tuesday when the car goes in I just might get a hood from Cervini's.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my local dealer (Drew Ford) in So Cal. They won't perform any warrantee work on the hood scoop or stripe replacement for non customer purchasers - I didn't buy it from them, yet they are closest to me and have serviced my SGT twice.

The reason I'm told they are refusing to file the warrantee claim is that the SAI/Ford warrantee process is very difficult to deal with and that the previous repairs they have made ultimately resulted in no one being happy i.e. poor outcome, difficultly in working with SAI and Ford. This leaves second owners like me (bought from original owner in Sept '07 w/ 5k miles) shafted as a result.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?!? I appreciate any feedback. I will have a discussion with the other dealer tomorrow, but something is clearly wrong with this picture.

My car just turned 15k miles and is parked indoors and driven hard regularly. The original Owner bought the protection coating provided by the dealer (Xzilon) and the stripes still look pretty good. In fact, the body shop estimator who has dealt with other SGTs said these were the best he's seen - and my car is an 'early' one - March '07 (#0076). I keep it clean and waxed, but I fear that in a few years the stripes will start deteriorating and I'll be stuck having to buy better stripes and will be of a much higher quality, that should've come on the car.

I would be happy to try the latest gen scoop once the design and manufacturing shakes out (if I can get a dealer to do it). This has been going on a LONG time and I want this fixed before my car has its second birthday in March. What I would really like is a functional scoop a la Mach 1. I think that SAI should offer a hood swap out program with air intake change over parts for a discount.

I'm tired of explaining to people that $200 worth of parts and another $1000 (8 @ $100) for labor is the source of a major problem that detracts from the car's value and reeks of a poor quality product. I would've paid another $1000 to have the stripes painted on (the way it was done in '65-'66) and had a high quality scoop. Too bad a few bucks were saved and here we are....

I'm sure SAI folks like Amy and Bud want to wrap this up too.

Respectfully submitted,

mrichards

I went to my local dealer (Drew Ford) in So Cal. They won't perform any warrantee work on the hood scoop or stripe replacement for non customer purchasers - I didn't buy it from them, yet they are closest to me and have serviced my SGT twice.

The reason I'm told they are refusing to file the warrantee claim is that the SAI/Ford warrantee process is very difficult to deal with and that the previous repairs they have made ultimately resulted in no one being happy i.e. poor outcome, difficultly in working with SAI and Ford. This leaves second owners like me (bought from original owner in Sept '07 w/ 5k miles) shafted as a result.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?!? I appreciate any feedback. I will have a discussion with the other dealer tomorrow, but something is clearly wrong with this picture.

My car just turned 15k miles and is parked indoors and driven hard regularly. The original Owner bought the protection coating provided by the dealer (Xzilon) and the stripes still look pretty good. In fact, the body shop estimator who has dealt with other SGTs said these were the best he's seen - and my car is an 'early' one - March '07 (#0076). I keep it clean and waxed, but I fear that in a few years the stripes will start deteriorating and I'll be stuck having to buy better stripes and will be of a much higher quality, that should've come on the car.

I would be happy to try the latest gen scoop once the design and manufacturing shakes out (if I can get a dealer to do it). This has been going on a LONG time and I want this fixed before my car has its second birthday in March. What I would really like is a functional scoop a la Mach 1. I think that SAI should offer a hood swap out program with air intake change over parts for a discount.

I'm tired of explaining to people that $200 worth of parts and another $1000 (8 @ $100) for labor is the source of a major problem that detracts from the car's value and reeks of a poor quality product. I would've paid another $1000 to have the stripes painted on (the way it was done in '65-'66) and had a high quality scoop. Too bad a few bucks were saved and here we are....

Respectfully submitted,

mrichards

I would contact Ford and tell them that this dealer is refusing to offer warranty assistance.

BTW: Ford is providing $500 in labor to do the stripes and scoop. That's what I was given as the number from my dealer no idea if it's true. I asked my dealer to file the claim and I would take the scoop and stripes elsewhere and take the responsibility for the outcome. Sad but you either do that and find a top quality auto graphics shop and a top quality body shop, or you take your chances.

I have the scoop and stripes sitting here on my den floor and will be going to get my estimates tomorrow or early next week. I suspect I will have to pay some amount of money out of pocket to get the quality I want but at least it will be (knock on the scoop) done right and done once and for all. Maybe that's an option for you?

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Some of the same here. I will be calling Ford Direct when I get back home from this deployment. I am on my second dealership and neither of them want to deal with it. I told this last Ford Dealer I just wanted them to get the parts and I would find someone to put the stripes on, they dont even want to help in that area...oh by the way the day I left my left roof striped peeled up off the car while driving. I am trying to figure out right now the process for taking Ford to court if I receive no satisfaction when I call them direct.

I love my car but it disqusts me to look at certain areas on it due to the stripes and hood scoop. When my wife finishes college I am going to fork out the money and get the car stripes painted, because I only see these stripes coming off the car in the future no matter who puts them on.

Respectfully submitted,

mrichards

So , here we are months into the final scoop solution , years from the begining of the problem , and we are no where near getting the scoop resolved ..............................and SAI still resists taking the ethical course of action by issuing a SAI letter head explanation of the problem , and the committment to HONOR their own garrauntee / warranty promises prior to the run out time .............and or the assurance that the defect would be corrected regardless of warranty time / miles limitations.

And as for the Ford Dealer Ships , I am having the same problems as others .................they are not communicating , this is the reason I asked for the criteria for the repair , and who would evaluate it ? Obviously SAI may look at picture , and with no explanation to the customer , and none from the Dealer they just ignore us ...................I knew this would happen ................................excuses and stalling to the end of the Warranty , and then "Sorry".........................No integrity , and no ethics ...............don't give me the "We want to make it the right fix "

You want to fain a fix , say it isn't good enough and do this until the warrantys out. then "Sorry"

If SAI knows they can't fix it without losing money , they should just say so up front , and give us alternate repair shops , costs , places to go for estimate , etc. help the customer by being honest a up front , demonstrate some integrity , and we will be satisfied that at least you are leveling with us ..........other wise we lose confidence in you. Does any one at SAI understand the power that a formal recognition of this defect would mean to your customer relations. For god sakes your business people , and it seems that you don't even know the first thing about ethics in business .......................seems you fit right into the economic mess these days.

ZDS

I just finished talking with the service manager at the Ford Dealership I wanted to use, whom I have been sending pictures to and working with and they will not touch my car. The service manager said he spoke with his regional rep. and they told him to have me find a body shop and let them deal with it through Shelby...I am so frustrated with this I think I am just going to explore a lawsuit against, Ford, Ford Racing and Shelby. I have exhausted the Ford dealerships within 45 minutes of my house. :banghead::banghead::banghead: (should have bought a vette)

Edited by Hardluck33

I'm running into the same problem too. I found a shop willing to do the work, but I can't find a dealer willing to even order the hoodscoop for me. It's getting a bit out of hand. Why can't SAI let a non-dealer repair center order the scoop and put in for warranty work if they provide a CSM# and photos like the dealers have to do? Why are we foreced to go through dealers that don't want to have anything to do with us?

I'm running into the same problem too. I found a shop willing to do the work, but I can't find a dealer willing to even order the hoodscoop for me. It's getting a bit out of hand. Why can't SAI let a non-dealer repair center order the scoop and put in for warranty work if they provide a CSM# and photos like the dealers have to do? Why are we foreced to go through dealers that don't want to have anything to do with us?

I filed a complaint with Ford online today and we'll see what happens there..I'll keep you all posted

I have the same problem in WI, my car is two years old now, on second scoop which I managed to obtain early in the scoop saga and paid out of my pcoket to have the best body shop in area install, that was may 07. Now the sides are lifting my stripes are ok BUT this car is not driven in rain and only has 800 miles on it, I am thinking about buying chipbeck scoop ( from forum). I replaced my hood pins with concours units from Branda again at my expense. The only parts I recieved from SAI with no problems were hood pin locks, I have repaired shiexhaust etc all this on q new car that cost as much as my BMW M3 which buy the way has 8000miles 6 years old and guess what? NO Problems! We all have been patient and I know the SGT is limited production BUT is that an excuse for crap dealer service and poor reponse from SGT I have to say this is my first American car in 20 years and my last Ford. But Ford does not care, hell they are doing well yea Right. Will this saga ever end.

Yes please do and post the link here so we can all file.

Here is the link, this is at ford.com, then owner service tab, then customer support, then you want to email Ford. You can call also. My brother did this with his Chevy and in 72 hours the dealer was fixing his truck even though they (dealership) gave him garbage at first. Now Ford says they will contact you within 2 business days....I should hear back today, so we will see. My next step if this fails is to call Ford. Hope this helps and hope it works.

https://secure.ford.com/footer/contact-ford...leServiceIssues

Has SAI officially said that the latest and hopefully the last scoop fix is released ? Last I remember reading was that Bud had said they had a fix that they thought would work but they didn't want to officilly annouce it until they had sufficient quantities in stock to feed the demand. Since that time I have read that they have changed it again by removing the pre-drilled holes as they did not line up with the ones already in the hood (Ooops). I would like to see some response from Amy or Bud giving us an update. If this is not cleared up before the end of our 3 year warranty is SAI going to stand behind their product and supply a suitable fix ?

I know SAI would much rather be building KR's or SS's as all these scoop fix's are on their dime but fixing this proplem would be great PR, saying that they stand behind their products. Unfortunately it has been some time since SAI has reported the status of this defect, it can't take that much time to provide status every now and then. On this same issue Ford needs to get on these dealers that are refusing to replace scoops and striping, does a warranty not meen anything any more ?

Edited by Shelby-Don

Yes please do and post the link here so we can all file.

All,

Below is Ford's response; basically the way I read it is---we don't really care, we will hand this back to the two dealerships that blew you off so they can blow you off again. LAWYER TIME (let me know if you are interested in a law suit against Ford).

"Dear Mr. Davis

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your experience with Crown Ford and Sanford Ford.

Thank you for providing Ford Motor Company with feedback; your opinions are valuable to us. I have documented your comments and the information you provided regarding your experience at the dealership. This information will be forwarded to the Customer Relations Manager at the dealership for their review and consideration. Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel about the services provided by the dealership."

So my dealer ordered the scoop and stripes from Shelby, the first one came in damaged in shipping, the next one has approx 28 rivits to drill and attach the scoop, is this the correct fix?

Or do I tell them to try again?

Confused in Alabama,

TDS :headscratch:

from what I understand the latest design will require that all rivet holes be drilled into the scoop as SAI tried to have them pre-drilled but managed to get the holes misaligned with what was already in the hood. So now the installer must align the scoop to the hood and then from underneath mark the current rivet hole locations from the hood. I can see this being a problem.

What is tempting? Secret code is missed here...

I have requested from SAI , Amy , etc that a Offical Letter on SAI letter head be sent to the owners eplaining these defects and the promise to be responsible for repairing them per their warranty , and even possibly after the stated 3yr/36000 miles , if thats what it is. I have said that this is the standard in the automotive industry and the ethical thing to do . I have worried that the repairs offered have been half harted and minimal measures so as to claim they are working the problem just long enough to let the Warranty run out , with out the official acknowlegement from SAI that there is a defect in the scoop of this car .......we have no assurance that SAI and Ford can't turn their backs on us.

I said this over, and over , and it was not taken seriously , but when I hear your story and others now I think a can say "I told you so " but I won't .

ZDS

I am going to start the process today on replacing my scoop for the first (and last?) time. My intent is to have it done by the Tasca mod shop. I can't do any better than that unless I take it to Vegas, right???