TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new hood scoop yesterday from the dealership. We opened it expecting to see the same scoop

that is on the car now. To our suprise it is not the same scoop that is on the car now. It is a very rigid

fiberglass type material that does not flex like the old scoop. Only way of mounting the scoop is with

rivits that are included. There are no bolts like the old scoop. The guy who does all the stripes and

scoops for the dealership looked at it and said the only thing it needs is a gasket under it so it will not

grab and tear the stripes as it expands and vibrates. The part that will set on the hood is not very rough

but over time he said it would damage the stripes. Does Shelby offer a gasket for the underside of the

scoop? I am very pleased with the scoop! It is rigid enough that I don't see how it could warp.

I will take some pics of the scoop before install and post them, after install as well.

Kevin

07SGT2591

I got a new hood scoop yesterday from the dealership. We opened it expecting to see the same scoop

that is on the car now. To our suprise it is not the same scoop that is on the car now. It is a very rigid

fiberglass type material that does not flex like the old scoop. Only way of mounting the scoop is with

rivits that are included. There are no bolts like the old scoop. The guy who does all the stripes and

scoops for the dealership looked at it and said the only thing it needs is a gasket under it so it will not

grab and tear the stripes as it expands and vibrates. The part that will set on the hood is not very rough

but over time he said it would damage the stripes. Does Shelby offer a gasket for the underside of the

scoop? I am very pleased with the scoop! It is rigid enough that I don't see how it could warp.

I will take some pics of the scoop before install and post them, after install as well.

Kevin

07SGT2591

How do you know that you got the latest and fully tested scoop? Last I heard it was still under testing and was a week or two away from release ( this news came to us 10 days ago). On 8/3/08, Bud stated the following:

"In the many threads we have said we are working on the new scoop. It will NOT BE A Chip Beck scoop, it WILL BE A Shelby scoop. Ever scoop we made HAS to be tested and crash tested to make sure it holds up to the safety standards. If it does not hold up, it does not go into production. The latest scoop we made so far has been passing ALL of the tests. And the latest test we did it did not sag, droop or even wrinkle the stripes. I am hoping we will be able to realse this scoop in the next week or two. And yes, it will also be held down by rivits. Now, the last test we did was to rivit it on and "bake" it out in the sun. This is when most of the issues occured. So far it looks great!!!! No problems at all. I do believe at this time we are having a few of them made so we can keep up with the demand. I hope this finally answers all questions about the hood scoop."

Edited by ilmor

Hi all!!!!

From what I have heard, a couple of the new scoops were sent out to now test the field. We are not going to announce the new scoop just yet. We are waiting to hear some feed back on the ones that were sent out. There is no gasket that goes on the bottom of the scoop. It does not need it. It will not tear the stripes. As long as the instructions are followed, there will be no problems. If the stripes tear, somebody did something wrong. The ones we tested here went under some pretty tough testing. I'm talking some extreme heat, many mutiple opening and closings and I believe that the persons car we tested it on (an employee) thought he was in a couple high speed pursuits (TY Jackie Gleason LOL) and the scoop did not budge, smudge, grudge and any other word that rhymes :hysterical: . When I can, I will post a pic of the "weight" test. And no, it was not me standing on it--its strong, but not THAT strong :hysterical:

Folks, just hang in there, we are almost there!!!!!!! :happy feet:

Bud

Hi all!!!!

From what I have heard, a couple of the new scoops were sent out to now test the field. We are not going to announce the new scoop just yet. We are waiting to hear some feed back on the ones that were sent out. There is no gasket that goes on the bottom of the scoop. It does not need it. It will not tear the stripes. As long as the instructions are followed, there will be no problems. If the stripes tear, somebody did something wrong. The ones we tested here went under some pretty tough testing. I'm talking some extreme heat, many mutiple opening and closings and I believe that the persons car we tested it on (an employee) thought he was in a couple high speed pursuits (TY Jackie Gleason LOL) and the scoop did not budge, smudge, grudge and any other word that rhymes :hysterical: . When I can, I will post a pic of the "weight" test. And no, it was not me standing on it--its strong, but not THAT strong :hysterical:

Bud

great news! Thanks for update Bud.

Craig

Hi all!!!!

Bud

:dance: :happy feet:

How do you know that you got the latest and fully tested scoop? Last I heard it was still under testing and was a week or two away from release ( this news came to us 10 days ago). On 8/3/08, Bud stated the following:

"In the many threads we have said we are working on the new scoop. It will NOT BE A Chip Beck scoop, it WILL BE A Shelby scoop. Ever scoop we made HAS to be tested and crash tested to make sure it holds up to the safety standards. If it does not hold up, it does not go into production. The latest scoop we made so far has been passing ALL of the tests. And the latest test we did it did not sag, droop or even wrinkle the stripes. I am hoping we will be able to realse this scoop in the next week or two. And yes, it will also be held down by rivits. Now, the last test we did was to rivit it on and "bake" it out in the sun. This is when most of the issues occured. So far it looks great!!!! No problems at all. I do believe at this time we are having a few of them made so we can keep up with the demand. I hope this finally answers all questions about the hood scoop."

I don't know if I have the new and improved hood scoop. I was just explaining what I received.

But it sounds like I may have received a test scoop from what Bud has said. I am just guessing!!!

Bud, I will tell the guy at the dealership what you said ... BE CAREFUL AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!

Thanks,

Kevin

07SGT2591

Hi all!!!!

Bud

Bud,

Is there a need for those of us with the original (thin) stripes to have them replaced with the newer thicker ones ? Will they be OK with this new scoop once it's officially released ?

Thanks, Don

Bud,

Is there a need for those of us with the original (thin) stripes to have them replaced with the newer thicker ones ? Will they be OK with this new scoop once it's officially released ?

Thanks, Don

If the stripes are ok now, there will be no need to replace them. They will be just fine :)

Bud

If the stripes are ok now, there will be no need to replace them. They will be just fine :)

Bud

Bud,

I have stripe wrinkles near two rivets on my current scoop. Do you think it is best to have the stripes replaced with the new scoop or can they smooth them out when they install the scoop?

Bud,

I have stripe wrinkles near two rivets on my current scoop. Do you think it is best to have the stripes replaced with the new scoop or can they smooth them out when they install the scoop?

If you are going to have the scoop replaced, I would replace the stripes too--if they are wrinkled.

Bud

Ok Bud this is great news for all of us!! I want to say thank you to SAI for all of your hard work to correct the issue. Now for the bigger issue for those of us who are dealing with less than competent Dealerships... my dealer cannot find anyone here in Denver that will touch the stripes. I had to have my front bumpr replaced last week and to ge t the stripes done on the front bumper they called 10 different shops to get a guy to do my bumper, they have an 07 that is getting the entire stripes replaced and they cannot find anyoone to touch it. I will need SAI's help in getting a shop here in Denver to re-do my hood and stripes.

:banghead:

When the new hood scoop comes out, will SAI be replacing ALL of them, or only on cars with issues? If it's only on cars with issues, is there some sort of pre-order "list" being set up that we can get on, so SAI will know how many to produce? I'd hate to learn that a fix is finally here, only to be told that a hood scoop is unavailable for me because they didn't produce enough in the first producton run, and that I'd have to wait another six months.

When the new hood scoop comes out, will SAI be replacing ALL of them, or only on cars with issues? If it's only on cars with issues, is there some sort of pre-order "list" being set up that we can get on, so SAI will know how many to produce? I'd hate to learn that a fix is finally here, only to be told that a hood scoop is unavailable for me because they didn't produce enough in the first producton run, and that I'd have to wait another six months.

They'll probably only replace hood scoops that a warranty claim was made for them. Just like they're doing for the stripes.

...Evan...

We are only replacing those with an issue. there are 7000+ cars and only a small amount have the issues noted here, this is not a recall, nor should it be

Amy

So it looks like this is a honeycomb fiberglass scoop? Amy are these the only scoops being sent to dealers if a warranty claim has been filed?

Yes, that is the only scoop we are and will be sending out :) But please, do not flood the dealers yet on these. We are and have to try and keep up with the demand. And the scoops as with the Shelby installed componants are covered for 3 year/36,000 miles.

Bud

One more ...

DSC00817a.jpg

Kevin

07SGT2591

Hey Kevin,

The screws that were in the bag do they also tighten the scoop down, or is it just the four you see under the hood? Good job with the install.

Jimmy :salute:

We are only replacing those with an issue. there are 7000+ cars and only a small amount have the issues noted here, this is not a recall, nor should it be

Amy

What is the critera for determining that a cars scoop qualifys for this repacement ? Is there a gap dimension? , a go-no-go gauge ?, the number of gaps? , or the depth of the ripple,? ...........and is this fix offered beyond the 30000 miles , 36 months,? Will this fix be offered at a reasonable price if we are not satisfied with the existing scoop ? , Would it not be easier to put this in one letter , and send it to all? ZDS

What is the critera for determining that a cars scoop qualifys for this repacement ? Is there a gap dimension? , a go-no-go gauge ?, the number of gaps? , or the depth of the ripple,? ...........and is this fix offered beyond the 30000 miles , 36 months,? Will this fix be offered at a reasonable price if we are not satisfied with the existing scoop ? , Would it not be easier to put this in one letter , and send it to all? ZDS

I think what I will do it take photo graphs of my scoop, w/ dents, gaps & curled edges (exp. in the winter), along w/ the above photos showing a proper scoop, and submit them w/ the warranty claim. That should do it I think!