TEAM SHELBY FORUM

need some tips

I need some tips on a few things

1. I have a 07 40th gt 500 that only has 160 miles on it. what kind of upkeep is needed for this car that if I don't drive it much?

2. I can't seem to keep the strips glued down under the door, by the rocker panel?

3. how can I remove the center dash piece for a signiture? the piece where my 40th badge plate is located.

Thanks

Frank

I can help on a couple of these:

1. I have a 07 40th gt 500 that only has 160 miles on it. what kind of upkeep is needed for this car that if I don't drive it much?

Put a battery minder on the battery to keep it alive. It's bad for lead-acid batteries to discharge, and they will discharge by just sitting there.

Run the engine occasionally, in order to keep oil in the races and bearings. If it sits too long, turn the engine over a few times without starting to get the oil moving. I'm not sure how to do this on this car, but I'm sure it's easy. I pull the coil wire on my truck.

You could seal it up and pump it full of nitrogen...

2. I can't seem to keep the strips glued down under the door, by the rocker panel?

I used a small amount of glue. I just went to the store and shopped for something that would stick to plastic. I must emphasize "small amount". The first strip I put too much and it squished out, so I have a less-than-perfect strip in there.

3. how can I remove the center dash piece for a signiture? the piece where my 40th badge plate is located.

Never done that, but I think it just snaps in/pops out. You may want to get somebody who's done this before to remove it, maybe a dealer or body shop.

Is that 160 miles total or just since the conversion?

My non-expert answers:

1) Drive the thing... Or keep a battery tender on it, change the oil ( once every two years?) Still need to drive it occasionally.

2) A little touch of clear nail polish should hold the stripes

3) I think the dash plaque is held on by double sided tape. I was going to try taking mine off so I could rotate using the GT500 signed plaque sometimes. I'm assuming it will come off if I finesse it right.

thanks for the advise. and yes 160 total. I want to drive it like I stole it, but I couldn't stand the thought of having a accident and a rock hitting it. does any one know for sure how many 40ths were converted, and why there is nothing about the 40th anniversary in the gt500 book :censored:

They are still converting 40th's. There is a post somewhere that talks about how many Shelby would convert. I kind of like the fact that ours is not a well know conversion. Do you have pictures?

thanks for the advise. and yes 160 total. I want to drive it like I stole it, but I couldn't stand the thought of having a accident and a rock hitting it. does any one know for sure how many 40ths were converted, and why there is nothing about the 40th anniversary in the gt500 book :censored:

Congratulations on your 40th. What they said for the questions. I encourage you to drive your car. If you motivation is that it will hurt your investment, there will not be an return on investment for many years, if ever, even though it is one of the most limited conversions Shelby has made. You will see many more SuperSnakes, simply because most of those guys do want to drive them like they stole them. You have a rare bird and the general public will go nuts when you show up.

Originally Amy indicated that they would make 500 40ths. They should get close to that number before they close out the program. Amy also posted a time frame to get this done.

It is interesting that the 40th Anniversary didn't get mentioned in the GT500 book. Since this package was announced early on, much before the SuperSnake, I would have thought that we would have seen something or at least a picture. For some reason, we do not get the same press as other packages. I noted at the Mid America banquet, every Shelby including the Dodge Shelby's got mention in the DNA portion, except the 40th. I guess it's one of those things that we all like to hear our names called out. But, as stated, we do have a more limited and rare car.

andy,

I have it on a you tube video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ApFZmxyTkLU

cobrafan,

I guess it was just disapointing not to see it in the book like you mentioned, but I guess I will drive it some. I own a retail store that is having a grand opening next month and I plan to have it as a eye catcher to get customers to stop.

www.academypx.com

:dance:

After reading another post, I have a couple of questions:

Are you talking about the accent strips, or the actual GT500 stripes (with an "e")? I was referring to the strips on the sill plate.

Also, are you talking about removing the badge, or the entire center piece of plastic that sits between the A/C vents? I was referring to the plastic interior panel that comes with all Mustangs.

If you want to remove just the badge, you can carefully heat it up with a hair dryer, that will soften the double sided tape underneath.

Archived