TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ColdwaterHotRods Ride & Review of the 2008 GT500KR

:yahoo: My grandsons and I also got to ride in the KR, made thier day for sure, also got to meet the Team Shelby members. My first time on track at a road course, WOW, what an eye opener as to what my car can do.. Really didn't like getting my Shelby girl on track in the rain, but did Stay on track the whole time. Highly recommend this event!!! Thanks to every one for the great time. Bob

It was great meeting you to Bob. Here is a picture or two of your car after you came off the track :D

th_7f002da0.jpg

th_0b8b74da.jpg

Thanks Coldy, but as an FYI, SVT didn't do the car by themselves, Our team worked on this as well, it was a team effort and I know my guys read this site and I want to be sure they get the credit they deserve for making this the car it it

thanks

Amy

Thanks Coldy, but as an FYI, SVT didn't do the car by themselves, Our team worked on this as well, it was a team effort and I know my guys read this site and I want to be sure they get the credit they deserve for making this the car it it

thanks

Amy

Your right..... Sorry, I got carried away after talking with nothing but SVT guys all day. I'll go back and correct the wording to reflect the hard work the SAI Team did also.

My apologies to the SAI team for not including them in my initial write-up

Ok fellow forum board members, I got a chance to go up the the Gingerman Raceway where SVTOA was having their 2-day track day event & a 1 time chance at getting a ride on track in the 2008 GT500KR. Their was actually (2) KR's their, a Black w/black stripes proto-type & a Red with silver stripes. The Red KR had a roll bar, Sparco racing seats installed & 5-point simpson belts. A $10 donation & a loaner helmet was required to get a ride. (more photos & videos will follow my write up over the next few hours for higher quality). It was great to meet a few board members their like Mustang Nut, B Shelby, Robertlane & Sharon. I think SVT TIM was their but I never caught up to him since he was on the track a lot.

There is no doubt in my mind after riding in this car that Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) is still alive well. From what I can tell all the employees at Team Shelby & SVT worked their friggin butts off when it came to improving the handling of the GT500 & giving it great styling. The 2-Lap track ride I took around Gingerman Raceway proved to me that this is the most bad ass, best handling Shelby ever to come out of the engineering department yet! The exhaust system is fabulous, the carbon fiber is flawless, the hood looks awesome, the rims are perfect w/o being to shiney.

The KR is definitely & significantly stiffer when compared to a stock GT500. The KR's ride was firm, not bumpy, Low & High speed driving was extremely well balanced front to rear on braking & acceleration, it stayed flat & true as can be in the corners thanks to the new springs, dampers, front sway bar & stickier tires.

The new Goodyear Super Grippy F1 Supercar tires certainly provided the extra grip we have all been looking for & I could easily feel the difference when pushed to the limit during corning. The 1.0 g claims on the skid-pad grip is definitely something you can feel in the seat of pants. The brakes look to be the same 4-piston Brembos we have up front on the stock GT500 & provide a lot more braking power then I ever gave them credit for, but this could also be due to the new stickier tire compound & extra rubber that was on the track.

IMHO this is going to be the best handling Shelby/SVT car ever (until they top this one in 2010). The squatting during acceleration has been eliminated; brake dive is now a thing of the past; the extra 40 extra HP & 3.73 rear gear provides that little extra something in the power band to take this car to a whole other level or two. I also have learned by talking with the SVT engineers that the KR also has a tweaked traction control program for better launching & less wheel spin when coming out of the corners hard. To me it was certainly more noticeable after I jumped back into my stock GT500 & tired similar moves on the back roads home (without breaking the speed limit laws).

On the track or the road, I think the 2008 GT500KR is definitely the king of kings when it comes to all Shelby & SVT production Mustangs ever to be built. One last thing to keep you folks hungry for more news, I can't wait to see the 2010 model year car come out, the very few confidential things I was told will make this car be more on par with the likes of a Corvette in terms of handling. I wish I could tell you what it is specifically, but I can't. But what I can tell you is; you will not be at all disappointed with what they are doing, or the direction the new Shelby/SVT/Cobra Mustangs are heading.

Ps: the KR's suspension or parts will NOT be offered as an aftermarket item per the SVT engineers. This is to protect the collectability of the car so it can't be duplicated.

click on the video below for about a 56 sec sample of the KR in action. It sounds great, so turn up the speakers (more to come later)

[/size]

th_2008GT500KRHeadingontotrackformthep.jpg

edit: to make sure the SAI team got credit where credit is deserved, job well done guys & gals

editing is now done :D

Thanks for sharing - sounds like you had a blast. It's comforting to know that with a few mod to induction, suspension, tires and exhaust, the standard GT500 can perform on par with the KR. I do hope the suspension and exhaust will be available some day even though your sources indicate otherwise. I do like the sound of the exhaust - it's what a GT500 should sound like.

Stunning review - My compliments.

Does anyone know how the KR stacks up to the Super Snake in terms of the positive observations made about the KR in the first post? Won't Super Snakes have pretty much the same supspension, etc? Is there anywhere to go to read a comparison?

Coldy, there has been much debate over the exhaust on the KR. Do you know if they used the SVT1 or what they used on that car? I am wanting to change mine and have been waiting for a positive on the KR. PM me or/and this thread if you know. Thanks and great thread!

Coldy, there has been much debate over the exhaust on the KR. Do you know if they used the SVT1 or what they used on that car? I am wanting to change mine and have been waiting for a positive on the KR. PM me or/and this thread if you know. Thanks and great thread!

I'm trying to find that out, I'm getting closer to getting a part number. The KR also uses a different "H pipe & resonators", where as our GT500's use an X-Pipe". SAI also does some additional modification to the "H-Pipe" after they get it in from the mfg'r to give it that unique sound (sorry I can't tell you what they do, it's an Ancient Chinese Secrete). :hysterical: The KR's "H-Pipe" isn't something you can go out & purchase & then just add the SVT catback exhaust system to your car & have the same KR sound.... you can get close, but it won't be the same. :cry:

I'm trying to find that out, I'm getting closer to getting a part number. The KR also uses a different "H pipe & resonators", where as our GT500's use an X-Pipe". SAI also does some additional modification to the "H-Pipe" after they get it in from the mfg'r to give it that unique sound (sorry I can't tell you what they do, it's an Ancient Chinese Secrete). :hysterical: The KR's "H-Pipe" isn't something you can go out & purchase & then just add the SVT catback exhaust system to your car & have the same KR sound.... you can get close, but it won't be the same. :cry:

Crap.... well then I guess I will stick with the FRPP CAI and Tune and the SVT1's and call it a day. I think that will be close to the sound and HP of the KR, after all that is the base, less the underpinnings!

Crap.... well then I guess I will stick with the FRPP CAI and Tune and the SVT1's and call it a day. I think that will be close to the sound and HP of the KR, after all that is the base, less the underpinnings!

The mufflers on the KR are NOT the SVT1 mufflers. The KR uses round mufflers, the SVT1s are oval, plus the exhaust tips are different between the two.

The mufflers on the KR are NOT the SVT1 mufflers. The KR uses round mufflers, the SVT1s are oval, plus the exhaust tips are different between the two.

Speaking from??? We already heard this, and then the other, we need someone to confirm or photos! There is another thread asking the same (I think it is the "are these Shelby's" thread)

those tips are different then these....

from 5.0 mag dyno test post-768-1216328221.jpg

from the gingerman raceway this past weekend th_ec70ea09.jpg

Thanks Coldy! And the search continues. One other point, I really do not care if they are oval or round, I just liked the sound and am hoping they are indeed a FRPP product with the logo... that would be cool. But sound first. I still think the FRPP CAI and tune and SVT1's may be as close are the average GT500 owner will be able to come.... your thoughts?

those tips are different then these....

They look the same to me. Regardless, the resonators (axle-backs, mufflers) on the KR are the round straight pass-thru design and not the oval shaped SVT1 mufflers that FRPP carries; I have seen enough recent photos of the KR to arrive at that conclusion. My point is the production KR mufflers are not the FRPP M-5230-SVT1 that were used on earlier prototypes - so I would not expect the exhaust note from the SVT1s to sound anything like the current KRs. The SVT1s are not that much louder than stock, which is just fine for many folks and I have not heard any reports of them droning.

Here is a picture of the M-5230-SVT1 mufflers:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9950

Alot of the sound difference comes from the "H-Pipe" vs. the "X-pipe" we have also

Agreed - along with the ancient Chinese secret applied by SAI :burnout:

I guess they sacrificed a little performance to get that great sound.

Archived