TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ColdwaterHotRods Ride & Review of the 2008 GT500KR

Ok fellow forum board members, I got a chance to go up the the Gingerman Raceway where SVTOA was having their 2-day track day event & a 1 time chance at getting a ride on track in the 2008 GT500KR. Their was actually (2) KR's their, a Black w/black stripes proto-type & a Red with silver stripes. The Red KR had a roll bar, Sparco racing seats installed & 5-point simpson belts. A $10 donation & a loaner helmet was required to get a ride. (more photos & videos will follow my write up over the next few hours for higher quality). It was great to meet a few board members their like Mustang Nut, B Shelby, Robertlane & Sharon. I think SVT TIM was their but I never caught up to him since he was on the track a lot.

There is no doubt in my mind after riding in this car that Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) is still alive well. From what I can tell all the employees at Team Shelby & SVT worked their friggin butts off when it came to improving the handling of the GT500 & giving it great styling. The 2-Lap track ride I took around Gingerman Raceway proved to me that this is the most bad ass, best handling Shelby ever to come out of the engineering department yet! The exhaust system is fabulous, the carbon fiber is flawless, the hood looks awesome, the rims are perfect w/o being to shiney.

The KR is definitely & significantly stiffer when compared to a stock GT500. The KR's ride was firm, not bumpy, Low & High speed driving was extremely well balanced front to rear on braking & acceleration, it stayed flat & true as can be in the corners thanks to the new springs, dampers, front sway bar & stickier tires.

The new Goodyear Super Grippy F1 Supercar tires certainly provided the extra grip we have all been looking for & I could easily feel the difference when pushed to the limit during corning. The 1.0 g claims on the skid-pad grip is definitely something you can feel in the seat of pants. The brakes look to be the same 4-piston Brembos we have up front on the stock GT500 & provide a lot more braking power then I ever gave them credit for, but this could also be due to the new stickier tire compound & extra rubber that was on the track.

IMHO this is going to be the best handling Shelby/SVT car ever (until they top this one in 2010). The squatting during acceleration has been eliminated; brake dive is now a thing of the past; the extra 40 extra HP & 3.73 rear gear provides that little extra something in the power band to take this car to a whole other level or two. I also have learned by talking with the SVT engineers that the KR also has a tweaked traction control program for better launching & less wheel spin when coming out of the corners hard. To me it was certainly more noticeable after I jumped back into my stock GT500 & tired similar moves on the back roads home (without breaking the speed limit laws).

On the track or the road, I think the 2008 GT500KR is definitely the king of kings when it comes to all Shelby & SVT production Mustangs ever to be built. One last thing to keep you folks hungry for more news, I can't wait to see the 2010 model year car come out, the very few confidential things I was told will make this car be more on par with the likes of a Corvette in terms of handling. I wish I could tell you what it is specifically, but I can't. But what I can tell you is; you will not be at all disappointed with what they are doing, or the direction the new Shelby/SVT/Cobra Mustangs are heading.

Ps: the KR's suspension or parts will NOT be offered as an aftermarket item per the SVT engineers. This is to protect the collectability of the car so it can't be duplicated.

click on the video below for about a 56 sec sample of the KR in action. It sounds great, so turn up the speakers (more to come later)

[/size]

th_2008GT500KRHeadingontotrackformthep.jpg

edit: to make sure the SAI team got credit where credit is deserved, job well done guys & gals

Ok fellow forum board members, I got a chance to go up the the Gingerman Raceway where SVTOA was having their 2-day track day event & a 1 time chance at getting a ride on track in the 2008 GT500KR. Their was actual (2) KR's their, a Black w/black stripes proto-type & a Red with silver stripes. The Red KR had a roll bar, Sparco racing seats installed & 5-point simpson belts. A $10 donation & a loaner helemt was required to get a ride. (more photos & videos will follow my write up over the next few hours for higher quality). It was great to meet a few board members their like Mustang Nut, B Shelby, Robertlane & Sharon. I think SVT TIM was their but I never caught up to him since he was on the track a lot.

There is no doubt in my mind after riding in this car that Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) is still alive & well and has worked their friggin butts off when it came to improving the handling of the GT500. The 2-Lap track ride I took around Gingerman Raceway proved to me that this is one bad ass, best handling SVT product ever to come out of Dearborn yet! The exhaust system is fabulous

The KR is definitely & significantly stiffer when compared to a stock GT500. The Kr's ride was firm, not bumpy, Low & High speed driving was extremely well balanced front to rear on braking & acceleration, it stayed flat & true as can be in the corners thanks to the new springs, dampers, front sway bar & stickier tires.

The new Goodyear Super Grippy F1 Supercar tires certainly provided the extra grip we have all been looking for & I could easily feel the difference when pushed to the limit during corning. The 1.0 g claims on the skid-pad grip is definitely something you can feel in the seat of pants. The brakes look to be the same 4-piston Brembos we have up front on the stock GT500 & provide a lot more braking power then I ever gave them credit for, but this could also be due to the new stickier tire compound & extra rubber on that was on the track.

IMHO this is going to be the best handling Shelby ever. The squatting during acceleration has been eliminated; brake dive is now a thing of the past; the extra 40 extra HP & 3.73 rear gear provides that little extra something in power band to take this car to another level or two. I also have learned by talking with the SVT engineers that the KR also has a tweaked traction control program for better launching & less wheel spin when coming out of the corners hard. To me it was certainly more noticeable after I jumped back into my stock GT500 & tired similar moves on the back roads home (without breaking the speed limit laws).

On the track or the road, I think the 2008 GT500KR is definitely the king of kings when it comes to all production Mustangs ever to be built. One last thing to keep you folks hungry for more news, I can't wait to see the 2010 model year car come out, the very few confidential things I was told will make this car be more on par with the likes of a Corvette in terms of handling. I wish I could tell you what it is specifically, but I can't. But what I can tell you is; you will not be at all disappointed with what they are doing or the direction the new Shelby/SVT/Cobra mustang are headed.

Ps: the KR's suspension or parts will NOT be offered as an aftermarket item per the SVT engineers. This is to protect the collectability of the car so it can't be duplicated.

click on the video below for about a 56 sec sample of the KR in action. It sounds great, so turn up the speakers (more to come later)

Thank you for posting this, the KR sounds great and hopefully we will start seeing these on the streets so we can hear them in person, awesome car indeed.

I have to admit, I wasn't impressed until I heard it & then I was all over the car asking questions & taking pictures.

1 thing I forgot to mention was the scoops on the KR hood don't feed cold air directly to the CAI, it funnels air into the engine bay to help cool the motor & then vent out the top of the hood. When i asked the SVT engineer about feeding cold air to the CAI his reply was the same logic I was thinking & that is in the old days with carberated cars ram air was cool & was useful, but with computer controlled cars that rely on sensors to correctly mix the air to fuel ratio, the ram air directly feed to the CAI effects the MAF sensor & can cause the car to stall when not in WOT mode. In other words the air has nowhere to go & buffers around in the CAI box & that messes with the MAF reading which confuses the computer & it just faults out. I think this is why the SS hood needs that baffle attached to the hood to help prevent too much air in & is used more as of a air-restrictor, but yet letting in some cold air as intended.

ps: for some reason my upload speeds are taking way longer then planned (about an 1hr for a 1 minute video) :banghead:

I have to admit, I wasn't impressed until I heard it & then I was all over the car asking questions & taking pictures.

1 thing I forgot to mention was the scoops on the KR hood don't feed cold air directly to the CAI, it funnels air into the engine bay to help cool the motor & then vent out the top of the hood. When i asked the SVT engineer about feeding cold air to the CAI his reply was the same logic I was thinking & that is in the old days with carberated cars ram air was cool & was useful, but with computer controlled cars that rely on sensors to correctly mix the air to fuel ratio, the ram air directly feed to the CAI effects the MAF sensor & can cause the car to stall when not in WOT mode. In other words the air has nowhere to go & buffers around in the CAI box & that messes with the MAF reading which confuses the computer & it just faults out. I think this is why the SS hood needs that baffle attached to the hood to help prevent too much air in & is used more as of a air-restrictor, but yet letting in some cold air as intended.

ps: for some reason my upload speeds are taking way longer then planned (about an 1hr for a 1 minute video) :banghead:

PIC'S, PIC'S AND MORE PIC'S PLEASE

Thanks for the video Coldy! What an awesome sound. Have you got one of these on the way or is what you are saying in your report really the truth? Either way thanks a bunch!

Thanks guys, I'm just telling you what I personally think for what's its worth. Today has been a trying day on me after attending a visitation at a funeral of a close friend & classmate of mine since elementry school. Things like this are never easy, so I wanted to get my thoughts out before I had to go this evening. The KR is no slouch & will perform on the track if you use the car to the limit. Pictures will have to wait until morning but I will leave you with another video that finally loaded up.

th_2008GT500KRonTrackatGingermanRacewa.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm just telling you what I personally think for what's its worth. Today has been a trying day on me after attending a visitation at a funeral of a close friend & classmate of mine since elementry school. Things like this are never easy, so I wanted to get my thoughts out before I had to go this evening. The KR is no slouch & will perform on the track if you use the car to the limit. Pictures will have to wait until morning but I will leave you with another video that finally loaded up.

Very sorry to hear about your friend Coldy, Thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family. I hope everyone can get thru such trying times like this!

It's KR0005P, I think this means it is prototype #5.

Amy, I'm (and I'll speak for the rest of us) - what happens to these prototype vehicles? Do they sit in a Ford warehouse, sold or destroyed?

I think it depends on what they where used for. If they are used for crash testing then I believe that they are destroyed. If they are used for just show purposes then I believe they can be sold.

Sharon

It's KR0005P, I think this means it is prototype #5.

Amy, I'm (and I'll speak for the rest of us) - what happens to these prototype vehicles? Do they sit in a Ford warehouse, sold or destroyed?

I believe that the "P" designation is for "press car".

Ok fellow forum board members, I got a chance to go up the the Gingerman Raceway where SVTOA was having their 2-day track day event & a 1 time chance at getting a ride on track in the 2008 GT500KR. Their was actually (2) KR's their, a Black w/black stripes proto-type & a Red with silver stripes. The Red KR had a roll bar, Sparco racing seats installed & 5-point simpson belts. A $10 donation & a loaner helmet was required to get a ride. (more photos & videos will follow my write up over the next few hours for higher quality). It was great to meet a few board members their like Mustang Nut, B Shelby, Robertlane & Sharon. I think SVT TIM was their but I never caught up to him since he was on the track a lot.

There is no doubt in my mind after riding in this car that Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) is still alive & well and has worked their friggin butts off when it came to improving the handling of the GT500. The 2-Lap track ride I took around Gingerman Raceway proved to me that this is one bad ass, best handling SVT product ever to come out of Dearborn yet! The exhaust system is fabulous

The KR is definitely & significantly stiffer when compared to a stock GT500. The Kr's ride was firm, not bumpy, Low & High speed driving was extremely well balanced front to rear on braking & acceleration, it stayed flat & true as can be in the corners thanks to the new springs, dampers, front sway bar & stickier tires.

The new Goodyear Super Grippy F1 Supercar tires certainly provided the extra grip we have all been looking for & I could easily feel the difference when pushed to the limit during corning. The 1.0 g claims on the skid-pad grip is definitely something you can feel in the seat of pants. The brakes look to be the same 4-piston Brembos we have up front on the stock GT500 & provide a lot more braking power then I ever gave them credit for, but this could also be due to the new stickier tire compound & extra rubber that was on the track.

IMHO this is going to be the best handling Shelby ever. The squatting during acceleration has been eliminated; brake dive is now a thing of the past; the extra 40 extra HP & 3.73 rear gear provides that little extra something in power band to take this car to another level or two. I also have learned by talking with the SVT engineers that the KR also has a tweaked traction control program for better launching & less wheel spin when coming out of the corners hard. To me it was certainly more noticeable after I jumped back into my stock GT500 & tired similar moves on the back roads home (without breaking the speed limit laws).

On the track or the road, I think the 2008 GT500KR is definitely the king of kings when it comes to all production Mustangs ever to be built. One last thing to keep you folks hungry for more news, I can't wait to see the 2010 model year car come out, the very few confidential things I was told will make this car be more on par with the likes of a Corvette in terms of handling. I wish I could tell you what it is specifically, but I can't. But what I can tell you is; you will not be at all disappointed with what they are doing or the direction the new Shelby/SVT/Cobra mustang are headed.

Great info coldwater. Sounds like you had a blast.

As for the KR parts I don't think they where telling you the complete truth

They will be coming and will be available through frp.

My sources say real soon . As soon as the KR run is completed you will be able to buy them.

Thanks for the Video bud! I was so disappointed I missed you at the track. I had the same feeling about the KR. It was nice to ride in the fastest color KR with the correct stripes ;P. The first thing that got my attention was the sound. The track was greasy all weekend especially in some spots, but, the KR took all of it and showed no issues like my 500 would. Now, the engineer didnt push it (which is OK since I got to pass it several times :D) ut I could tell it was well behaved. I wish more of you could have been there.

Thanks for the Video bud! I was so disappointed I missed you at the track. I had the same feeling about the KR. It was nice to ride in the fastest color KR with the correct stripes ;P. The first thing that got my attention was the sound. The track was greasy all weekend especially in some spots, but, the KR took all of it and showed no issues like my 500 would. Now, the engineer didnt push it (which is OK since I got to pass it several times :D ) ut I could tell it was well behaved. I wish more of you could have been there.

yeah, me too :cry:

You would think after being their 6+ hrs I would have ran into you, but each time I looked for you; you were on the track driving :shift: your butt off :peelout::hysterical:

Hope to see you in Dearborn :)

Love seeing those pics but shoot it's kind of like seeing your Christmas present before Christmas day. However in this case I have no idea when Christmas is so I guess keep them coming as much as possible I love it!!!!

:yahoo: My grandsons and I also got to ride in the KR, made thier day for sure, also got to meet the Team Shelby members. My first time on track at a road course, WOW, what an eye opener as to what my car can do.. Really didn't like getting my Shelby girl on track in the rain, but did Stay on track the whole time. Highly recommend this event!!! Thanks to every one for the great time. Bob

Archived