TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Billet Pedal Covers

I just finished the project and I say project because my fingers are too big! You'll see why.

The instructions included are well done. There are a couple of key notes here that make the job progress more smoothly.

1. The hardware is small and can get lost easily if you are not organized

2. Purchase an "automatic" center punch from Home Depot. About $8-$9 for center punching your marks

3. You need to notch the accelerator pedal. The bracket will not fit very well if you do not do this step.

4. Do not try to place the accelerator pedal cover on with the pedal still in the car. Remove the pedal. One electrical connection and 3 10mm nuts. See #3.

5. I recommend placing a small drop of "blue" thread locker on the screws.

6. Forget the 1/16" drill bit. You will break it on the first try. Go right to the 1/8" drill bit then enlarge the holes to 9/32" it is a little larger than recommended by gives you some wiggle room if you did not properly drill the holes in the first place.

Here goes:

Place a catch mat under your work area.

This is the begining: The pedal covers just peel off of the pedal. Start at one corner and peel back from the pedal

Shelbypedalinstallation001.jpg

This is what the pedals will look like once off

Shelbypedalinstallation005.jpg

Now apply masking tape on the pedal covers

Shelbypedalinstallation006.jpg

Place the cover over the pedal and mark the 3 beveled holes with a sharpie

Shelbypedalinstallation007.jpg

Remove and cover. This is what you should have once done with the above step

Shelbypedalinstallation009.jpg

Now using the center punch, punch the center of each mark to act as a guide for your drill bit. This is what you should have. Small indentations in the tape

Shelbypedalinstallation011.jpg

Here is a pictue of the center punch.

Shelbypedalinstallation010.jpg

The instructions state to begin with a 1/16" drill bit and then step up to a 1/8" and finally a 7/32". You will snap the 1/8". I began with the 1/8" and then went one size larger than the instructions to allow for some movement and centering prior to tightening. Your call.

A picture after the holes are drilled and tape removed. You need to also deburr the holes so the nuts and washers fit flat on the pedal

Shelbypedalinstallation015.jpg

Here is the hardware. You need to have small fingers for this when installing. The worse nut is the upper left on the brake pedal. Have patience. I placed a small drop of "blue" thread locker on each screw for piece of mind.

Shelbypedalinstallation013.jpg

When attempting the throttle pedal, remove the 3 10mm nuts that hold the pedal to the firewall. When the pedal is removed you will see an electrical connection attached. Yes, that is your throttle. That bunch of wires. There is a red area that slids upward then pop the connection straight up. With the pedal in your hand I found that the cover does not fit flat enough for me. I removed the 2 screws from the rear of the pedal and the pedal face came off. This gives you more room to install the brackets and allows the pedal cover to sit flat against the backing.

The accelerator pedal needs to be notched out in the rear upper right corner. With the pedal cover off the original, apply the supplied 3M tape to the rear center of the "New" pedal cover. Then place the pedal cover over the accelerator pedal and press firmly in the center where you placed the tape.

Now test fit the upper bracket. This is where you will see that a little "notching" needs to take place. Just trim the angled piece of plastic flat to the side and bottom. A dremel tool works great. Only takes about 1 minuite. Now install the bracket, screws and nyloc nuts. The bottom of the pedal requires no noching at all. Just install the bracket, screws and nyloc nuts.

When installing the accelerator pedal assembly back into the car, plug in the electrical connector and slide the "red" tab down. Then place back on the studs of the fire wall and tighten down the 3 10mm nuts. There is really no torque # for these I just went snug and 3/4 of a turn.

Here is the finished product.

Shelbypedalinstallation016.jpg

Good luck of you decide to install this mod and I hope this helps.

Hello Roger.

Thank you for this post.

I still need the hardware to install these foot pedals covers.

FYI: I also contacted Robert Lane regarding the needed hardware.

Sincerely.

Greg

Good writeups like this should be changed to stickies or downloadable pdf's, under an installation section, categorized.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing this mod and it looks great! Thanks to Roger for this (and the dead pedal) write up!

Sam

I found the install instructions for the clutch/brake/gas pedals (via the SPP store link) and this post mentions a write-up on the dead pedal but I can not find that one.

Anyone know where Roger-SAI posted it?

Just want to see how it went before "going in" green.

TIA,

Phill

I found the install instructions for the clutch/brake/gas pedals (via the SPP store link) and this post mentions a write-up on the dead pedal but I can not find that one.

Anyone know where Roger-SAI posted it?

Just want to see how it went before "going in" green.

TIA,

Phill

Easy peasy,

pull the carpet back remove the kick panel and loosen and loosen and loosen the big nut and then slide the deal pedal slot over the nut from the back and the tighten it up and tuck carpet underneath

But here is Roger's instructions in living color! ! !

Take Care

Andrew

I recieved my dead pedal a couple of weeks ago. It is well made and very sturdy. The instructions were very good and it only took around 30 minutes and thats removing the kick panal and door sill. And it looks very nice and functional. I want the other pedals to go with it now..;)

Archived