TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone bought tires from Tire Rack?

motorjock205

I was browsing for new tires to replace the ones that were on the GT500 wheels that I just bought recently, and went to Tirerack.com and submitted the sizes for the GT500 and was shocked to find that they offer the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires for $142.00 Front and $182.00 Rear...

I had checked with Discount Tire here in Odessa and they listed two tires, one for Ford for about $360.00 and one for Shelby for about $440.00 for the rears...same tire, just different prices between it going on a Ford and going on a Shelby...HA HA...I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night!!!

Anyway, does anyone know if the tires from Tire Rack are recent production or are the stock that hasn't sold and could be older tires? I'm really curious as to why such a big price difference, because I can get the whole set for less than the two rears would cost me from Discount Tires or anywhere else that I've looked for that matter...

I'm just kinda leery of buying something like tires without knowing when they were manufactured...

I was browsing for new tires to replace the ones that were on the GT500 wheels that I just bought recently, and went to Tirerack.com and submitted the sizes for the GT500 and was shocked to find that they offer the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires for $142.00 Front and $182.00 Rear...

I had checked with Discount Tire here in Odessa and they listed two tires, one for Ford for about $360.00 and one for Shelby for about $440.00 for the rears...same tire, just different prices between it going on a Ford and going on a Shelby...HA HA...I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night!!!

Anyway, does anyone know if the tires from Tire Rack are recent production or are the stock that hasn't sold and could be older tires? I'm really curious as to why such a big price difference, because I can get the whole set for less than the two rears would cost me from Discount Tires or anywhere else that I've looked for that matter...

I'm just kinda leery of buying something like tires without knowing when they were manufactured...

They should be able to tell you when they are manufacture (within a month).

I bought 2 tires (BFG KDW's) from tire Rack, no problems.

Carl, simple equation of quantity purchasing power. I have ordered maybe a dozen times from Tire Rack. The tires on the Shelby came from them and were shipped to Vegas from thier warehouse in Vegas. I just bought a set of Continental's for my wifes Acura. No one could touch the price and there was an offer is you purchased a set of 4 Continental's they would send you a free Magelian GPS. I received that 4 weeks after the tires arrived.

I have had "0" issues and would recommend to anyone. Go for it.

Roger

Carl, I have ordered two sets from them. No issues other than last set was delayed in shipping...rec'd 3 tires in 2 days, but the 4 th ran around town for 2 more days. Not there fault...UPS guy didn't think it odd that I ordered only 3 and didn't see the 4th one....when I called tirerack they tracked it down and even refunded the shipping costs! I was shocked. Craig

I haven't ordered tires from them but I did order the set of Hawk pads that I have on the car from them. I was extremely annoyed when every retail store that was supposed to carry the pads didn't have them and would have to special order. I came home, ordered them from Tire Rack and had them in 3 days. Fewer days then what the retialers where estimating. I will give them a good look when it is time for tires on any of my cars.

Yes, I've bought tires from Tire Rack. They are exactly what they say they are. I started buying from them before the internet when the ads were in car magazines - you'd see the general stuff and call their 800- number and they always had what I was looking for. At the time I was driving Mercedes and all of the tires were at least 1/3 off from what the tire dealers were selling the same tire for (volumes were low on Z-rated tires back them). They ship them UPS, unpackaged, with a wire twisted around it with shipping info. One time one of the tires arrived a day after the other three.

When I was buying tires for my truck last fall I was going to order from them but I needed them sooner (because we were going on a trip).

For mounting you can take the tires to almost any tire store. They have no reason to not mount them for you - think of it as swapping snow tires onto wheels. I believe they even have recommended dealers to mount/balance now - the internet is nice for this kind of info.

I do recommend them!

I actually got a great deal from Discount Tire, got the Nitto 555's 2-275/35/20 for rear and 2-255/35/20 for front plus 4 chrome valve stems for $800 shipped, spent another $80 cash to mount and balance. The free shipping from discount tire is great and I found there service the best I have had from on-line the 3 times I ordered from them.

I did order from Tire Rack as well and there service was great also, but I only ordered from them one time.

There can be a tax adder for Discount Tire. Since Discount Tire operates store fronts in the western US you will probably pay sales tax on orders from them. We have used their stores for tire purchases before.

Their TV ad of the old lady throwing the tire through the glass store front is the longest continuously running TV commercial. I first saw it in 1979 when we moved to Colorado Springs. We lived in Phoenix before that and didn't have their stores, so I don't know when it actually started. I think I heard 75 or 76.

I've purchased over a dozen tires from Tire Rack this past year and have been happy with them.

When these mail order tire places started years ago I stayed away because of the mounting situation. Basically retail tire shops don't like mounting tires you've purchased elsewhere. Now that Tire Rack and others have made agreements with shops across the country for low fixed price mounting that problem no longer exists.

I wouldn't worry about the tires being old. I'm pretty sure they are moving enough tires each month that this wouldn't be an issue. You could always ask them for the date code or check the date code when the tires arrive.

Also Tire Rack will ship the tires directly to your choice of tire shop so you don't have to drag them from home to the shop.

Steve

I've ordered from both the Tire Rack and Discount Tire and both companies have great service. They both have recommended installers for your area. I've just taken mine to the Ford dealer to be mounted, they were the cheapest for mounting and balancing and they will have tire pressure sensors and mounting bands if needed.

You mentioned that you are thinking about ordering the Goodyear F-1 Super car tires. I would think twice about buying these tires. There is a reason they are one of the least expensive performance tires. When the air temp gets to 45 degrees or below these tires become very slippery, so much so that on the GT500 there is a warning sticker on the drivers door jamb. Even the BF Goodrich g-force is not rated for safe use below 40 degrees.

One tire to consider if you drive your car in cooler weather is the Goodyear F-1 Super Car A/S (all season). I've read good reviews on these tires. The GT500 uses a 285/45 18 on the rear, the widest F-1 A/S tire for the rear is a 275/45 18.

I've ordered from both the Tire Rack and Discount Tire and both companies have great service. They both have recommended installers for your area. I've just taken mine to the Ford dealer to be mounted, they were the cheapest for mounting and balancing and they will have tire pressure sensors and mounting bands if needed.

You mentioned that you are thinking about ordering the Goodyear F-1 Super car tires. I would think twice about buying these tires. There is a reason they are one of the least expensive performance tires. When the air temp gets to 45 degrees or below these tires become very slippery, so much so that on the GT500 there is a warning sticker on the drivers door jamb. Even the BF Goodrich g-force is not rated for safe use below 40 degrees.

One tire to consider if you drive your car in cooler weather is the Goodyear F-1 Super Car A/S (all season). I've read good reviews on these tires. The GT500 uses a 285/45 18 on the rear, the widest F-1 A/S tire for the rear is a 275/45 18.

Well, I'm not really going to worry about it because it RARELY gets down below 45 degrees out here in the desert of West Texas, and if it does, I doubt that I'll have the Shelby out anyway...but that is nice to know...

Does Tire Rack offer the same type of "insurance" for the tires as does Discount Tire (road hazard/defect free replacement cert.). While I am all for getting a cheaper price I have benefitted greatly by having paid the extra amount for the insurance that DT offers. I've got two new tires on my suburban for the price of mounting due to road hazard issues. I think it's 40$ per tire but whatever it is it's paid off in my experience.

Does Tire Rack offer the same type of "insurance" for the tires as does Discount Tire (road hazard/defect free replacement cert.). While I am all for getting a cheaper price I have benefitted greatly by having paid the extra amount for the insurance that DT offers. I've got two new tires on my suburban for the price of mounting due to road hazard issues. I think it's 40$ per tire but whatever it is it's paid off in my experience.

Yes they offer tire insurance. You'll have to go to their website and read the fine print to see how it compares to Discount Tire but it wouldn't surprise me if its the same.

Steve

Archived