TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taxed on Gas Guzzler

Jody

Not sure if this was discussed previuosly on not.

I just was wondering how strange it is that when purchasing a GT 500 the Gas Guzzler tax is paid. Then because it is included as part of the purchase price we get to pay sales tax on the Gas Guzzler Tax.

:banghead::censored:

I just was wondering how strange it is that when purchasing a GT 500 the Gas Guzzler tax is paid. Then because it is included as part of the purchase price we get to pay sales tax on the Gas Guzzler Tax.

Gas guzzler tax is a complete joke anyway. SUV's are used like cars yet our government give them a free pass and we have to pay a tax on a car that many of us will barely use....

I think the gas guzzler tax should be applied to all vehicles that don't meet the mpg standards not just cars. There are many sport utility vehicles that get worse mpg than the Shelby mustangs yet they don't get the tax because they are considered something other than a car. I would venture that most of these SUVs are used as grocery getters and never venture off-road or are even used as a truck. The fed's def'n of "car" for this tax should have been revised a long time ago...

ok I feel better now :)

.... it is included as part of the purchase price we get to pay sales tax on the Gas Guzzler Tax.

Just move to a state without sales tax, like New Hampshire.

Bought my GT500 where I used to live in Pennsylvania and when asked what my state income tax rate is so they can do their calculations, they were surprised when I said "nothing - don't pay sales tax in NH."

Every little bit helped that day. :spend:

Gas Guzzler taxes are applied to cars rather than SUV's because "standard" or "sensible" cars will get better MPG but if you want a "frivolous" car like those that are high horsepower cars, you are paying in essence a Sin Tax.

An SUV has been considered a necessary type of vehicle, and because of the size/weight of them along with towing and cargo capacity they are expected to get lower MPG, so it is not frivolous, so not worthy of a "Sin Tax".

Funny coincidence... if you buy a 300C or Charger SRT8 vehicle, you pay a gas guzzler tax, but NOT if you buy the Magnum SRT8 because it is classified as an MPV (SUV) and is therefore exempt.

Bought my car from out of state and licensed in my home state. I made sure the DMV did not use the paid gas guzzler tax in their sales calculation. So I only paid tax on the $1300.00 once and nothing more.

Archived