TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Confessional Thread

It's been a very long time since anyone here has posted "I tried this, and I f**ked it up." This kind of honesty is hard to come by on these type of sites, but either you're honest about it, or not. Your choice?

Saw the comment above from Mac in another post and was inspired to create this thread. Feel free to add your confessions; it’s supposed to be good for the soul, right?

Here’s one of my more recent “I f**ked it up” stories:

After I installed a Hurst line lock on my SGT I re-connected the brake line and was in the process of re-filling the master cylinder and bleeding the brakes when I began to realize that I was putting in a lot more brake fluid then I had taken out. I peaked under the car and sure enough there was a big puddle of brake fluid under the car because I had only hand tightened the brake line onto the master cylinder.

Embarrassing but no big deal, I threw a pile of cat litter under the car, tightened the brake line, re-filled and bled the brakes, backed the car out, cleaned up the mess and all was well.

Now here’s the best part, I was excited to test out the line lock and did not want to do it in front of my house so I drove to a nearby parking lot and proceed to try a burn out.

- Step on brake (check).

- Hold line lock switch (check)

- Release brake (check)

- Rev engine (check)

- 1st gear and drop clutch (check)

- Start to see massive amount of smoke (check)

One big problem, the smoke was coming from the clutch and the limited slip differential!

Lesson Learned: Rookie mistake, ALWAYS turn the Traction Control System (TCS) off before you attempt a burn-out. Especially with a line lock engaged.

Had a pretty nasty grinding noise in my limited slip differential after that and probably knocked a couple of thousand miles off of my clutch. On the upside I replaced the stock LSD with an Eaton posi-traction differential and it’s a much better setup for the track, pretty much bullit proof. About a $500+ mistake!

I feel much better now…

There is not enough space on the server for all my I effed it up stories. I will tell one though. Enough time has passed.

I don't know who might remember but on the old site I tried to rivet my scoop to the hood long before the SAI fix to rivet he scoop. Well when I went to pop one of the rivets, it popped incorrectly and the stud broke. So I went to drill it out.

As I gently lowered the drill to the bad rivet, it hits the broke stud skips across the scoop and then across the stripe.

Tried to wipe off dry bird poo with spray detailer, Seagull crap has sand in it I think, Meguiars scratch-x and showcar's advice saved the hood paint, did not scrape the stripes up but they have a small stain from poo, have not tried to fix yet. Dumb.

Burnout across intersection with an officer going across the other side....

Ok here's one for ya. Doesn't involve the Shelby though. About 1 1/2 years ago I was doing some work on the brakes on my pick up. A dodge Ram 3500 4x4. It's pretty much stock but it still sits a little high.

So, space was kinda tight in the garage so I pushed my sons motorcycle out into the driveway to get it out of my way.

After I finshed up on the truck, I went to back it out of the garage. It went about 5 feet and stopped. I gave it a little more gas as I was wondering what could possibly be wrong with the brakes. As I revved it up, it tried to move but felt like I was trying to pull out a stump or something. After a couple more revs I threw it in park and started cussing about what could possibly be wrong now. I walked around the back and there was the bike, wedged under the rear bumper.

I took the bike to Honda dealer, got it fixed and returned and never told anyone about it.

I'm gone to Iraq for over 4 months. I come back and my SGT's battery is dead. I push my car out of the garage to jump it and as I try to get in the car to put on the brake, I struggle because my wife has moved the seat all the way forward.

While it keeps rolling down the drive way, the drivers door start scraping down the side of my F-150 and comes to a halt once it hits the space between the cab and the truck bed. Truck looks like sh!^ and SGT now has rubbed off paint and slight crease in door. Unfreaking believable! Felt like a total idiot.

I pumped almost 30 gallons of GAS into my F-250 diesel and had to pay $500 to get it purged.

The truck was 3 months old and I had reminded my wife over and over not to do this and I ended up doing it.

I also left a tool on the rear bumper sometime later and lowered the tailgate onto it causing a ding.

I broke a perfectly good clutch cable on my 1989 Sportster while adjusting the primary drive.

and the list goes on and on....

One early morning about 9 years ago I wanted to drive my show quality hot rod (see photo below) to the office. It was early and I did not want to wake the wife and kids, so I decided I would roll the mustang out of the garage and crank it in the drive way. I manually opened the garage door, took the car out of gear, and started pushing from the front. As it is starting to get good roll, I ran around to jump in. Unfortunately I did not get the drivers door closed before the edge jammed into the garage door track. Result: severe damage to perfect paint job, and yelling and screaming woke the family anyway.

65350.jpg

#2 mistake: Selling that car 8 years ago.

Once had a 70 Fiat Spider and was working on it in the garage one day. I raised the hood up, and then put the jack under the car. I kneeled down to jack up the front of the car, and when I was done I stood up to find that the driver's side corner of my hood was folded over from coming in contact with (something...I forget now) while I was raising the car. I managed to bend it back but the hood always had a little visible crease in it from that point forward....

One early morning about 9 years ago I wanted to drive my show quality hot rod (see photo below) to the office. It was early and I did not want to wake the wife and kids, so I decided I would roll the mustang out of the garage and crank it in the drive way. I manually opened the garage door, took the car out of gear, and started pushing from the front. As it is starting to get good roll, I ran around to jump in. Unfortunately I did not get the drivers door closed before the edge jammed into the garage door track. Result: severe damage to perfect paint job, and yelling and screaming woke the family anyway.

65350.jpg

#2 mistake: Selling that car 8 years ago.

Man, that entire story really makes me HURT.

I had a ten-year abscence from the standard tranny world prior to my '07 SGT purchase last year.

Shortly thereafter I got in my garaged Shelby to back her out, stomped on the clutch, started her up, threw my right arm over the console, craned my neck over my right shoulder, let out the clutch....and drove forward into my 11' aluminum boat stored in front of the SGT.

Minor nick in the bumper cover, just another ding in the bottom of the boat, but major, major damage to my ego.

Kevin

...but I'm sure everyone here can tell you some of mine. :jackinbox:

I seem to remember an "improper launch" across an intersection that was witnessed by an NC trooper two cars behind you in April at Nag's Head :angry22: A good thing did come of it.....I won the pool on who would get a ticket first :redcard:

My stories both are centered on the front chin of my shelby

The first day I got it .....several of my employees were well aware and took over my parking spot at work and left theirs open between their cars...I park the car as normal...and did not allow enough clearance for the curb....crunch!!!!!!. Damn was I pissed at myself...less than 20 miles...then as I was walking into the office my car alarm went off....I walked back..pushed the panic button and it goes off....this sequence repeats three times until I realize my employees were upstairs in a conference room they each decided to set off their car alarms....not know what mine sounded like...i thought it was mine...we had a good laugh over that one.

Second story is I go to dinner with some business associates at Bob Chinns in Chicago....major speed bumps...I valet park the car and tell them that if they are to move the car be careful....the lower front barely clears the speed bumps...had a few drinks...summer night....I get my car from the valet...check the front end...everything ok...and proceed to drive right over a speed bump..smacking the enire lower front of the vehicle....

Major embarassement and 200 to repair.

Now I back into spots and now I slowly proceed sometimes straddle the speed bumps.

Steve

got another one for you all.

About 20+ years ago I had a Nissan 280z, 5 speed.

I went out one morning to go to work and the battery was dead. There was enough juice to spin the engine slowly, but not enough to start it.

So, being about half a block from a small hill, I decided to push it up a small incline, to the hill and then jump in and pop the clutch as it rolled down the hill.

I pushed that sucker all the way to the hill, and as I started to run for the door, my legs just quit working. Kinda like doing a major leg workout at the gym. I couldn't run at all and almost fell down.

Well, needless to say, the car kept a'rollin. It only made it as far as the curve at the bottom of the hill, maybe 200 yards. The it went into a small ditch where it stopped.

I don't remember how much the tow truck cost, but I do know it took about 3 hours to get there.

I had only owned my car a week or so when I had decided to take it in to work for the first time. I got in to the parking lot at work and I was playing with the radio, so I threw the car in neutral and let the car idle to keep the heater going, when I was done I turned the car off locked it up and went in to work. I got a call a couple hours later from our security department asking if I owned a Black and Silver Shelby and if I could come out to the parking lot, my heart in my throat I was sure someone had stolen or attempted to steal my new baby. I get to the parking lot and my car is sitting with my rear bumper against the front bumper of the truck in the next row behind me, the corner of my bumper was pushed inside out. I felt like such an idiot, I had left the car in neutral :banghead:

Changing a water pump on my '68 Mustang. The 289. Hot day (of course) in the Tucson heat, probably over 100*.

Removing the bolts, the top one just turned loose without backing out. I thought whoever had installed the last pump had stipped the bolt. The top bolt is in a recessed pocket, with just enough room for a socket or a pair of long-nose pliers. I could not grip the bolt and pull with the long-nose. Couldn't get a vice-grip in there. I was pissed off and sweaty and dehydrated. Swearing ensues. I couldn't use an ez-out because it just spun in the hole when I tried to drill it.

I finally reach that state of zen, and just grab a beer and start trying to "think" it out while prying with the long-nose. My wife comes out, all sympathy, to give me moral support in the heat of the desert, and says, "Would it help if I held the nut while you turn the bolt?"

Ya see, she was looking at the engine from the side, and could see the nut (nut?) turning while I'm up front turning the bolt. I was right, somebody HAD stripped the threads, but that top water pump bolt is just threaded onto a tang. The guy put a longer bolt and used a nut to tighten it down.

Then there was a time long ago when I had rebuilt a 327, and wanted that mother to start on the first turn. After priming the oil pump, I put the distributor in backwards (180* off, which you can do in a chevy) and then sprayed half a can of ether into the Holley 4150 and then cranked it up.

That should tell you enough right there.

Pop quiz - how high was they geyser of flame?

Extra credit - what color was it?

That's enough from me....

WOW! Thanks for all the posts guys, now I don't feel so bad about removing my hood pins and putting them on the rear bumper of my wife's car right before she left to run an errand......I must have drove up down the street with my head out the window for an hour :cry:

Thankfully I had just received my billet hood pin upgrade.....Oh well

Pop quiz - how high was they geyser of flame? about 8 feet?Extra credit - what color was it? white?

This is a great thread!

Well, when I was about 14 I went hunting with one of my uncle's friends (a retired Marine). At the end of a long morning, we had found no game. So we marched out of the woods and ended up on the gravel road that his brand new full sized Chevy truck was parked off of. Now, that being said, we were about a mile and a half from where the truck was. He knew I could drive and since we were on private property, he asked me if I would like to drive his new truck. Of course I was eager to get to drive such a vehicle, so he handed me the keys and said "Ok, I'll stay here, you go get the truck and come pick me up".

So I hiked the mile and half (or so) back to the truck, jumped in, and started her up. I put her in gear (automatic) and started driving down the road. I noticed that she seemed real sluggish so I kept giving her more throttle to get down the road. I thought it was strange to have the pedal almost floored and I could only make about 30 mph. When I finally got to where he was standing on the side of the road, I came to s stop and opened the door. I was immediately hit by the smell of burning brakes and a huge cloud of smoke. I had just driven the mile and a half with the emergency brake set! Needless to say I never got to drive one of his vehicles again.

When I was a kid my dad told me to take the garbage out and burn it. Now back in the day we had burn barrels and we just put garbage in there and burnt it.

So me and my brother had a genius Idea that if we used some gas than the fire would start faster.

well let me tell you that it is faster than anything you ever saw. We used about a quart jar about half full and dumped it in the barrel.

Then the fun part as I struck the match the fumes from the gas was filling up the top of the barrel

when I threw the match in It blew up the fire ball that came out of that barrel was incredible It emptied the trash out when it exploded. we were so scared, That was the last time I used gas to fire it up.

Art

About 12 years ago we had just moved to Colorado. We bought a house and immediately called the cable company to hook up the cable. At the time I had an SHO, but it wasn't my daily driver. I came home from work to find a note on the front door from the cable guy apologizing for the damage to the SHO and saying the cable company would cover it. I walked around the side of the house where the SHO was parked: the windshield was smashed and there were drag marks down the hood. I guess a big gust of wind came out of nowhere, knocked the cable guy off his ladder two stories up. Luckily the SHO broke his fall . . . The funny thing was it looked like the damage to the windshield was in the shape of two butt cheeks.

Shortly after getting the SGT, I went on a Starbucks run for my wife, daughter and me on one chilly Saturday morning. Three coffee cups and two cupholders. So, I put them in one of those trays. Once I got into the car, I put two of the cups in the cupholders and left the third in the tray and placed it on the front passenger floor. And off I drove.

Well, it didn't take long with my driving that the tray spilled over and the coffee was leaking out. When I got home, I grabbed the retractable light I have in the garage so I could get a good look at the spill. I laid it on the carpet while I went inside to get carpet cleaner. Big mistake! :banghead:

I now have a big black round spot where the light had burned the carpet. I was not able to get the coffee stains out, either.

Fortunetly, I can cover both up with the Shelby Signature mats!!

Nope, I'm not saying a word!!! I don't think the statute of limiitations has run out on some of the stupid things that I have done, so my lips are SEALED!!!

:fool:

I would like to know the statute of limitations on a few things myself. :ninja:

I would like to know the statute of limitations on a few things myself. :ninja:

Depends. On stuff like this, just a couple of days will do.

Stealing the Mayor's Wife's Herbie Beetle and putting it in the lobby of the school as a senior prank, well, it was about 30 years before somebody spilled the beans on that one.

BTW, White is the correct color, with some blue on the outside (I think that was the gasoline). We were outside, so there was no 8 foot ceiling. I'd say closer to 20 feet.

Guest markham51

I rented a cottage a couple of years ago in Ontario while our new home was built there. It had a 4 posted "roofed car port" near the back of the property...not far from the house. My son came by and we jumped into the Escalade and all I remember hearing was "beep..beep...crash" as I hit one of the cedar posts of the car port! Unlike the Ford sensors which give you lots of notice...the GM ones are kind of too short....3000 dollars later...... :banghead:

Also at the same place that same summer....my CEO was visiting with his family for a weekend with his brand new A6 and we had a terrible rain storm which washed out the driveway (and culvert he was parked on). His car washed out into the lake during the night and it sunk in 50 ft of water. We had to get a recovery barge with a crane to get it lifted from the bottom of the lake...took about a week. Writeoff of course! He had just waited almost 6 months for the car (had it only 2 weeks)...and had to wait another 3 months for a replacement. The final irony was... he went back to dealer to place a new order and they rented him his traded-in audi for the 3 months he had to wait. :titanic:

And yesterday...ran over my Blackberry in my driveway, it fell out of my golf car and I didnt notice until too late! :censored:

Archived