TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT and 98 octane?

Hi all!

First of all: Great forum, great information, great exchange here. I am happy that I found it.

My SGT will arrive in two weeks here in Switzerland. However, I am wondering what will happen when I fill it with 95 or 98 octane (95 is the lowest quality you can get here). Someone mentioned that EPA tested SGT at 319 at crank on 91 octane. Can the SGT actually take any benefit from 95 or 98? My dealer dynoed two Bullits and a SGT here with 95 and reported slightly over 300RWHP. So I am wondering if (a) the gas could be responsible for the high power output (assuming it is true), and (b ) if the SGT can't handle 98, if a tune for that could help?

Thanks for your posts!

\R.

Hi all!

First of all: Great forum, great information, great exchange here. I am happy that I found it.

My SGT will arrive in two weeks here in Switzerland. However, I am wondering what will happen when I fill it with 95 or 98 octane (95 is the lowest quality you can get here). Someone mentioned that EPA tested SGT at 319 at crank on 91 octane. Can the SGT actually take any benefit from 95 or 98? My dealer dynoed two Bullits and a SGT here with 95 and reported slightly over 300RWHP. So I am wondering if (a) the gas could be responsible for the high power output (assuming it is true), and (b ) if the SGT can't handle 98, if a tune for that could help?

Thanks for your posts!

\R.

Since the computer is tuned for 91 octane i don't think you will get any more performance with a higher octane. Occasionally i put 93 in and there's not a dimes worth of difference in performance.

First, above all, welcome aboard.

Second, I would seek professional answers in your neck of the woods.

Third, Are you sure that minimum RON 95 and minimum (R=M)/2 91 are not the same the same "octane." My wife's VW has a sticker on the gas door that says in English, "minimum (R+M)/2 91" and in German "minimum RON 95."

Fourth, several states on this side of the Atlantic have 93 octane instead of 91 octane. I don't think the owners in those states are seeing abenefit unless the car is specifically tuned for it.

Lastly, if your gas does have a truely higher octan reading you may see higher output with a custom tuned designed to use the more potent juice. Again, I would seek professional answers from the guys in the know where you live. Don't trust us "keyboard mechanics."

Drive it well,

Chris

Many thanks guys!

Good hint indeed, I found this on Wikipedia: "However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON)".

So this seems solved, my baby will be safe and easy with the 95 octane. I can't wait until it arrives.

Greetz

First, above all, welcome aboard.

"keyboard mechanics."

Drive it well,

Chris

LMAO...this coming from one of the most knowledgeable persons on this board!!! :hysterical:

BTW, Welcome aboard and enjoy that SGT over there in Switzerland!!! Be sure to post pics and your CSM # when you get her!

Thanks for this warm welcome! I am reading tons of threads here and that just makes me even more inpatient!

We do not have the Autobahn here, but Germany is only a 20mins drive away :) Anyways, one does not buy such a car for speeding, my 1.8 liter turbo Audi has a higher end speed than the Shelby. What made me buy this car is:

- The V8...well, it's a V8, no words needed.

- The sound...I got a shiver each time I stepped on the pedal.

- The design...try to find something comparable here in Europe...forget it!

- The Shelby...I always wanted a Shelby, and this is a true one.

- Acceleration...when the engine roars, and this big car moves, that's.....I am missing the words.

And last but not least: It is a "retro" >muscle car<, built for men, and honestly, I don't know anything here on the streets (including Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc.) that nearly triggers similar emotions in me like the Shelby does. Other people might think differently, everyone has his own taste.

Hi- Gruezi - Salut -Bonsoir,

Great to hear , another Shelby in Europe. I understand why you decided for a Shelby. I had the same Arguments, absolutely cool driving with this car on european streets, real eyecatcher..... :shift:

Greetings from Luxembourg.........

:lurk:

Heyyy....greetz to Luxembourg!

Actually I start wondering now how many GTs and GT500s made it to Europe. Thanks to the low dollar, here in Switzerland quite some GTs and mostly 500s are driving around. However, still so few that I only see one every 3 months or so.

I am wondering why you bought a SGT...I mean...5 mins "pedal to metal" and you've crossed Luxembourg from one end to the other, no? :):)

Have fun!

Aha a funny Swissguy, great :hysterical:

Why a SGT ? - simple:

You know; I drove Porsches, Ferraris, Audis, Mercedes, that's all pretty cool cars etc.....but you can't imagine the faces of the guys here on the streets, when they first hear you and then see you. What the hell is he driving? That's really cool, and there are only one handfull SGT registrated here. So you're always doing the show. But that's not the important point for me ,and as I said once before in a Topic, when I got the car 2 months ago, I realized myself a dream....and that's the point. I did something for myself. :dance:

Best regards

But that's not the important point for me ,and as I said once before in a Topic, when I got the car 2 months ago, I realized myself a dream....and that's the point. I did something for myself.

It seems we really had the same motivation. I am very happy for you that you realized yourself this dream...and I am happy for me too :happy feet:

...and nothing against Luxembourg, just get this straight!

Do you have an idea how that works with the warranty in Europe? I get two years of Ford warranty here, and I am wondering what they will pay if, let`s say, my stripes start to wrinkle. Did you have anything yet with your baby?

Well official guarantee in Europe? Well I don't think that without a "good" and "serious" dealer you'll not have to much chance for helping you. :banghead:

As I bought my car directly in USA I think I have to look all over with my dealer in Atlanta. :shift:

Well my Ford Dealer in Luxembourg, where I wanna buy pieces and make oil changes etc...told me he can try to help me in any case of .........but hasn't detailed informations about that point...

But why not ask Amy B. or somebody from Shelby Automobiles what they will do and how they treat customers from Europe. Maybe they have informations and help for us..... :lurk:

Best regards

Fred

Never been to Europe, can't appreciate the complications. But, Ford maintains a very large presence in Europe, and has for over 50 years. It may take longer to repair something, or, get special parts, but it can be done.

Back to octane...It's been my experience that adding higher octane to your fuel supply doesn't make any difference in performance until you tune for those qualities. I mean to say that as long as you meet the minimum octane requirements of your tune, you should have not have any negative effects from exceeding the minimum requirements. I have driven many miles on 100/102 and 106 Avi-gas with no problems, but I changed back to my every-day street tune before leaving the track. What ever was left in the tank, burned just like 91 octane.

However, if you re-tune the EEC to maximize the benefits of 98 octane on the road, you become "married" to that octane. If it's not in common supply and you run short, you could cause damage from running a lower octane.

Just my .02C, carry on gents.

Archived