TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should i change my Spark Plugs

All,

I have 1,100 miles on my SGT and i would like to know if it would be preferable to change the spark plugs now to prevent any damage?

Is it something i can do by myself? Unfortunatlety, i do not think that the Ford Dealership will authorize this under warranty???

Does anyone has instructions to do this on a 4.6L 3V Modular?

Please read this thread for more info: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29258

All,

I have 1,100 miles on my SGT and i would like to know if it would be preferable to change the spark plugs now to prevent any damage?

Is it something i can do by myself? Unfortunatlety, i do not think that the Ford Dealership will authorize this under warranty???

Does anyone has instructions to do this on a 4.6L 3V Modular?

Please read this thread for more info: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29258

I'm not sure exactly why you want to change your spark plugs.

IIRC the spark plugs should fall under that 100k emission warranty.

From what I saw in those TSB's they were mainly discussing age old instructions for changing spark plugs in an aluminum head. I didn't see Ford acknowledge anything wrong with your car like they forgot the anti seize compound or that they were torqued down too much.

And I agree the dealer most likely will not change the plugs without a reason under warranty.

Steve

I'm not sure exactly why you want to change your spark plugs.

IIRC the spark plugs should fall under that 100k emission warranty.

From what I saw in those TSB's they were mainly discussing age old instructions for changing spark plugs in an aluminum head. I didn't see Ford acknowledge anything wrong with your car like they forgot the anti seize compound or that they were torqued down too much.

And I agree the dealer most likely will not change the plugs without a reason under warranty.

Steve

+1, Steve, thank you.

Folks should not over react to the publication of a TSB. TSBs sometime warn of necessary repairs at the customer's next visit, other times they simply remind techs how to complete a proceedure with minimal expense. This TSB is just simply that, a reminder of correct proceedures.

Nothing in this TSB indicates any failure of the factory spark plugs. It only suggests what can be done once a spark plug breaks off. Look at it this way? If you don't try to remove them, they won't break off. IMHO, let Ford deal with it.

LuLu,

I agree but if i have to change my spark plugs after 36K miles or > 3 years and they have problems pulling out the plugs, i will be paying the labor and the spark plugs.

I guess the question is:

If the spark plugs are breaking in the engine block, it means that there is a flaw somewhere right? Is it the engine block or the spark plugs? If it is the engine block there is not much to do about it but if it is the spark plugs and/or how they have been installed, then i should not be paying for this even after 36K miles or 3years...

Thoughts?

slamarre

My guess is that too many "techs" were breaking the spark plugs and then submitting warranty claims for not understanding how to change plugs in an aluminum head. The TSB is probably Fords way of trying to reduce such warranty work.

If you can't shake the notion that your car will most likely never have a problem with the plugs you can always wait until the warranty is just about up and then pay your dealer to change your plugs.

This way if they break the car is under warranty and you get it fixed for free. The downside is that you will have to pay for the spark plug change which I would take a guess at between $100-200

Steve

Archived