TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Water vs. Foam

My car doesn't get touched by water. I don't drive it in the rain and I wash it with Turtle Wax Foam Wash after a quick dust off with the California Duster. Whats everyone's preference on washing the your car? Is there a real plus with one over another?

I use a hose, power washer and some Dawn soap. I then drive it down road at high rates of speed to get it to dry off really fast without spots. Failing that, I take it to the car wash.

Rise with open ended water hose - no pressure.

Soap up with Dawn or "car wash" soap using cotton rag.

Rinse with gentle stream - once again no pressure.

Blow dry with leaf blower.

Quick dry with chamois.

After completely drying I mist and wipe with Windex to remove water spots.

Drive and enjoy.

When it gets dirty, I drive it in the rain. That cleans it off really well.

The trick is to run out there right after it stops raining and dry it with clean terry "made in USA" towels before you get water spots. Then I give a once over with Lemon Pledge.

Rise with open ended water hose - no pressure.

Soap up with Dawn or "car wash" soap using cotton rag.

Rinse with gentle stream - once again no pressure.

Blow dry with leaf blower.

Quick dry with chamois.

After completely drying I mist and wipe with Windex to remove water spots.

Drive and enjoy.

I'm sure you're probably joking like the others, but you sound so... reasonable.

So, I'll throw it out there: Ya do know that Dawn strips all the wax off your car, right?

Two buckets of water, micro fiber cloth, remove dust, then with damp micro fiber clean surface. use the other clean water bucket to do the rest of the car and the dirty one to keep particles contaminants in. then ICE :cold: .

Had the car for 6 months i washed her the regular way once after winter was over.

Yes, I was kidding. Here is an excellent thread with more information than you need.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=358447

I use a local hand wash shop or self serve because we are still under water restrictions here. I prefer Zaino products, Ice detailer on plastics and hoses. Dawn will strip the wax, and is not necessarily a good thing, that's covered in the above thread.

My car is a daily driver: therefore, it's been rained on several times. This hasn't caused it to melt yet. :hysterical:

I rinse it off first without using pressure so most of the abrasives come off. Then I wash with Ice car wash and a clean microfiber towel. I rinse it with no spot rinse, then dry with a fake chamois towel.

I'm sure you're probably joking like the others, but you sound so... reasonable.

So, I'll throw it out there: Ya do know that Dawn strips all the wax off your car, right?

I guess I didn't realize this was a joke thread. :finger:

As far as Dawn goes you may be right. Even the Dawn web site does not recommend using it to wash a car:

Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?

Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair.

http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/questionsaboutdawn.do

I personally do not have a problem with Dawn because a TBSP of Dawn in a 5 gallon bucket does not cause problems with the pH and it reduces the caustic properties of the soap through dilution.

Besides I don't have a problem with removing the wax a little at a time. Carnuba wax needs to be removed periodically to prevent build-up.

I prefer Dawn because it is more biodegradable than anything out there and with me being in the Environmental field as well as water treatment........

But yes, I was serious about the car washing thing I posted.

My Goodness....how old is the tree in your signature...looks like a photo taken from rain forest.

Thanks, they are why I bought the place.

They are live oaks in my yard, one is over 200 years and the other is over 300 years old.

My house is lacking, kind of like a camp but the yard is bad ass. It has 8 live oaks +175 years 330' along Bayou Teche

Thanks, they are why I bought the place.

They are live oaks in my yard, one is over 200 years and the other is over 300 years old.

My house is lacking, kind of like a camp but the yard is bad ass. It has 8 live oaks +175 years 330' along Bayou Teche

Amazing ....thx for sharing those breathtaking pics...i picture some thing like those trees in my mind when i listen to this song...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMdIyu2B_GI

Water Deionizer from Costco. Wash and rinse in the sun and walk away.

post-13123-1215467041.jpg

+1 Same system I use.

I first rinse the car off with a Husky pressure washer set on the lowest setting, with the water filtered through the Costco water filter system. I am really careful to keep a good distance from the striping, as getting too close WILL cause lifting of the stripes. I blow off all the dirt from the car and wheels, and hose out the wheel wells, undercarriage, and engine compartment (stay away from the electrical stuff!). I then fill two buckets with water, again filtered from the deionizer, and add the Turtle Wax ICE car wash soap to one. I then use a microfiber wash mitt, and scrub down the entire car, making sure to frequently rinse the wash mitt by dumping it in the 2nd bucket of clear water, wringing it out, and then dumping it in the soap bucket. Don't do the wheels until last! Rinse the car off of soap, check for anything you missed like fallout or bird poop (there shouldn't be any, anyways!). Then, take the soap bucket, a good brush, and have at those wheels and tires. Next, even though I don't have to worry about water spotting due to the filter, I take the Absorber (you can get it at Autozone or Target, works GREAT) and dry the whole car. I then blow out water from the grill, window edges, body seams, ect, with compressed air. This keeps water from coming out of those spots when you are waxing and causing you grief. Next, I do the tires with Adam's VRT or Meguiars Gold Class rubber/plastic treatment. Either works great. I do the tires first, because in case you get a little overspray on the paint, you can quick detail it off before you wax, versus having to clean it off your freshly waxed paint! Next, I hit the car with a coat of Turtle Wax ICE on all the plastic trim and headlights/taillights, striping, and paint to give it a first coat. I follow up with two coats of Adam's Buttery Wax, which gives it a PERFECT gloss and finish. For windows, Adam's Glass cleaner works perfect as well.

I have not used any of the foam cleaners, though it seems like DriWash works well. I am going to try it one of these days just to see. Personally, if my car is a little dusty, I just use Quick Detailer to clean the whole thing. Works great in the engine compartment too. I do it every day after I get home from work, it takes me 10 minutes to detail the entire car at most, and keeps it looking fresh.

Amazing ....thx for sharing those breathtaking pics...i picture some thing like those trees in my mind when i listen to this song...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMdIyu2B_GI

A local mustang club manager wanted to take a picture of the car in a parking lot and then insert some titty bar dancer/models into the picture

for a calender. I told him I have some descent pics he could use but he said it would be to tough to insert the 'babes' in with the trees and grass and all.

I told him I would rather he didn't use my car in the calender cause I think they were missing the point somewhat. The car looks good without the girls in the setting I have, as apposed to a Wal-Mart parking lot, and it didn't need the local models pasted into the pic. They didn't want to pose live with the cars for some reason.

Needless to say the calender isn't going to get my car (unless I can talk my wife into posing?)

I took the pics shortly after washing it with Mequire's car wash, using Ice paste wax followed by Meguire's quick detailer. Oh and some spit to help remove the love bugs ;)

(sticking with the topic...)

I usually go to a self-serve car wash bay because of local water restrictions - but occasionally sneak in a late night home wash since I often get home at 2 or 3am. :ninja: I've been using Ice liquid polish and highly recommend it for basic frequent waxing - easiest stuff I've ever used, shines nice and works well on plastic trim.

I recently bought the Porter Cable 7424 orbital polisher & decided to do a full-on multi step detail using the Meguiars 3 step system. I washed the car with Dawn to strip the wax and carefully dried it then let it sit overnight to evaporate all the water out of the nooks & crannies then started the detail.

Like most of us my car lives in the garage but I do drive it to work occasionallly and even a Shelby can't outrun Mother Nature so it has gotten rained on and dirty. The car is still new but there were a few small, very fine scratches from touching the car when it was dirty and just being outside.

The first step uses a "paint cleaner" & I applied it with an orange foam pad that came with the PC polisher. One section at a time & wipe the stuff off before it dries or else it forms little grains if you try to take it off dry. This leaves the paint "bare" so to speak so it's important to move to the next step while the car is clean.

Step 2 is a "polish" that puts down an initial gloss and replenishes oils removed in the cleaning step. I used a soft white foam pad (non abrasive) on the PC for the polish application. Again, don't let this dry completely or it's harder to remove. This puts a nice gloss on the finish, but doesn't put any wax protection on it.

Before the final step I went over the car witha clean microfiber to make sure any residue from the previous steps had been removed.

The third and final step is a Carnauba wax (I used a liquid, but you could use paste) that I applied with a thick, soft foam buffer pad. Let this stage dry to a haze then remove with a clean microfiber cover over a lambs wool buffer pad - then I again followed with a final wipe by hand with another clean micro fiber towel. This stage takes the finish to a whole 'nother level and makes the paint look a foot deep and wet. Saying the car shines now is like saying Shaquille ONeal is a fairly big guy - you have to see it for yourself.

The whole process takes several hours so I'll probably only do this a couple times a year & maintain with the Ice in between. All of the fine scratches and any water spots completely dissappeared when I finished and the car is so slick that a towel thrown on the roof with slide right off.

It's also important to mention that I used the same process on the vinyl stripes and they look perfect. I was worried that they might scratch or lift but there was no sign that they were harmed at all and they shine just as good as the rest of the car. The whole car looks like a red & black mirror now.

Sorry for hijacking the post - but I hope this info will help someone debating whether to use a similar system on their car.

post-19266-1215473166.jpg

post-19266-1215473166.jpg

Water Deionizer from Costco. Wash and rinse in the sun and walk away.

post-13123-1215467041.jpg

Just got a CR Spotless System myself, directly from the company. I wash the wheels first than the body. I also use a pressure washer as it only uses 1.6 gallons per minute of water. I too wash the wheel wells and under-carriage and the engine compartment with towels covering the electrical parts. Than I JUST WALK AWAY and it dries perfect!!! I actually look forward to washing my car all over again!!!!

Than I JUST WALK AWAY and it dries perfect!!! I actually look forward to washing my car all over again!!!!

It is the best couple hundred bucks I have spent in years. The vehicles look better than when I micro fiber towel dried them.

Archived