TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI Coolant Cap Question

I have had an occasional issue for a while now. When my car gets real hot. A track day or sitting in LA traffic on a scorcher day. I find the residue of coolant splashed from the coolant reservoir. Keep in mind I have the Paxton supercharger. It replaces the stock reservoir with a molded plastic container. Has anybody else with the SAI engine dress up kit had this problem. Anybody with the Paxton?

Yes the cap is tight. At least as tight as I can get it. I always turn until I hear the clicks.

Chris,

I think you may have an issue with the stock cap. The dress up kit is just a cover which fits over the existing cap. I have not had any issue with the set I have other than "finish" issues.

Roger

I figured the leak is betheen the stock cap and the reservoir container. I am trying to figure out which. Any other Paxton installed cars had a similar problem? Or if you haven't are you using the dress up kit?

I race mind hard on hot days and have had no problems and I do have the dress up kit.

Like engine oil capacity, the cooling system can be over-filled. Once the coolant swells from heat absorbition, it's got to go somewhere. This is why a pressure cap is employed.

Any chance you topped-off the coolant with a bit too much? Drain a quart and let us know what happens?

BigCarl, sorry for not knowing but do you have a Paxton supercharger?

Lulu, Anything is possible. But the fluid is barely at the bottom of the reservoir. I couldn't get rid of too much more without knowing how much is in the system. I will try though.

BigCarl, sorry for not knowing but do you have a Paxton supercharger?

Lulu, Anything is possible. But the fluid is barely at the bottom of the reservoir. I couldn't get rid of too much more without knowing how much is in the system. I will try though.

Chris I have the Paxton 2200.

Hi Chris,

I would HIGHLY suggest that the resevior is filled properly. It should be about an inch and a half from the top. If the coolan level is too low, heat will build up in the tank and then cause it to distort. When this happens, the cap will not seal properly and the coolant will all spew out. I just went through this with one other person the other day. Also make sure that the intercooler tank is also filled properly--about an inch and a half to two inches below the top. Remember, if the coolant is low, it WILL build up excessive heat in the tanks which will distort them and cause them to leak. Hope this helps.

Bud

• 4 weeks later...
Track day yesterday. Coolant 50/50 ratio, approx 1.5" inch from the top and a new OEM coolant cap. Result, leaked coolant all over my coolant reservoir and engine.

I have some phone calls to make this week.

Hey Chris,

I have not had any problems with mine but I would suggest you replace the overflow tank.

The Paxton part number for the "COOLANT RES RELOC, '07 MUS" is 8N155-082.

This includes the tank and all associated fittings and mounting hardware.

Hope this helps...

Hey Chris,

I have not had any problems with mine but I would suggest you replace the overflow tank.

The Paxton part number for the "COOLANT RES RELOC, '07 MUS" is 8N155-082.

This includes the tank and all associated fittings and mounting hardware.

Hope this helps...

+1 I'm thinking either the coolant tank and/or your cap have been stripped or cross threaded at some point....that may be what is causing your problem...

I have the same reservoir and and same problem with spewing coolant. I was going to drain some of it, figuring I'd overfilled it, but now I'm guessing it's an issue with threads on the reservoir itself (if the cap was no good, it would have been no good on the stock reservoir as well). I may replace it. Probably just put some thread tape in the cap.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived