TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drive Shaft Prices

I purchased an Aluminum drive shaft for my 96 GT a few years ago, and it seems like I only paid $179.00 for it...Why are the prices so high for the drive shaft for the SGT or the 2005-2008 Mustang in general??? Has the price of aluminum gone up that much??? If so, I've got a big can of Aluminum cans that I need to turn cash in on!

I purchased an Aluminum drive shaft for my 96 GT a few years ago, and it seems like I only paid $179.00 for it...Why are the prices so high for the drive shaft for the SGT or the 2005-2008 Mustang in general??? Has the price of aluminum gone up that much??? If so, I've got a big can of Aluminum cans that I need to turn cash in on!

All metals have gone up big time the last few years.

Also I believe that the cost of machinery has gone up w/ everyone turning to computer technology.

Perhaps it makes for better tolerances and longevity.

All metals have gone up big time the last few years.

Also I believe that the cost of machinery has gone up w/ everyone turning to computer technology.

Perhaps it makes for better tolerances and longevity.

Perhaps, but that's a REALLY big jump in prices in just a few years! But gas prices have jumped a LOT too since I purchased the drive shaft for my 96 GT...In the words of Jed Clampett, "Pitiful, Plum Pitiful!"

R & D, raw materials, assembly, warehousing, packing, shipping and so on...What hasn't gone up since 1996?

I just installed my one-piece drive shaft this past week. Here's what it cost me, in rough numbers.

LFP drive shaft = 563.00

LFP adjustable upper control arm = 170.00

UPS ground shipping = 56.00

Install with dyno = 150.00

Opinion = worth it.

They are extremely light and absorb more vibration than a metal driveshaft, but they are pricey. They're not as fragile as a lot of people think they are either. I had a twin turbo stealth and they had a multi piece driveshaft in that car similar to the GT500. I replaced it with a carbon fiber driveshaft and the difference afterwards was night/day in performance. I don't know if I could justify the cost of the CF driveshaft for a Mustang though. My driveshaft in the stealth was bad and it was going to cost over $1400 for the new shafts, the CF shaft was just under $1100. I didn't have to think too much about the logistics of that decision! If I had the money to burn I'd probably go with CF every time. :)

2 deterents for me on the C/F shaft were 1) price and 2) if it ever gets hit on the road by anything it can potentially come apart catastrophically.

gee, they use CF on the front splitters with out any problems. I wouldn't run them in a 4x4 :hysterical:

Archived