TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Missing the old days...

I am pretty sure Jeff is refering to the "Shelby GT Mafia" that formed here at Team Shelby from former members of ShelbyAutos. It even has its own god father. It is more tounge in cheek then a real real group or click. I don't think Jeff was refering to the "shelbymafia" web site.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres my opinion of what has changed. The old site was raw, uncontrolled, and you didnt conform to anything per say. The new site, while it has many nice features, is like going from being a teenager to an adult. Theer is the feel of having to watch what you say and how you come across...and obviously being a dick is uncalled for no matter what so thats not what I mean. Toss in the good ol scopp and other issues...most which have been resolved...more people, things that have been conveyed as soon to be released and have not...got driving lights??!...and hmmm did I miss anything else??! Thats how it has been for me anyways. I looked to the site to get away from the daily runaround like Jeff mentioned and this just became part of the daily runaround. Being disappointd over and over gets hard to deal with. So now I come here in doses.

All,

I remember this little forum where people talked, they had fun, exchanged info, supported one another while we waited for our cars, and celebrated with one another when we got them. Yes, it was a different time then, we were all learning together, all of us patiently and sometimes not so patiently for our cars to arrive. I can't put a finger on what it was, and for those who we have welcomed since, I can only describe it as "fun". It was a fun place to check into with many friendships made that went from just words on the screen into a real life friendship that in some cases shared some pretty cool life experiences.

Recently though I've seen some old friends leave, or stop posting, seen their postings go way way down, while some others talk about leaving. I hate to see this happen and fear it will continue if we stay on the trend we are. These cars are fun but frankly no one I have in my close circle gets it and I know all of you "get it" so I rely on all of you!

I just want to express my hope and desire that we find a way, even with scoops that are less than perfect, and missing "Y"s to have fun again. We really do have much to be thankful for and I would like to see us celebrate the good and not focus so much on the bad. Sure we can and should talk about issues of mutual concern and we can disagree without being disagreeable, but I have enough negative in other areas of my life. I used to count on you guys to put a smile on my face and now too often I'm getting frown lines in here.

I'm not sure as I read back on this stream of typing what the point of this post is, only I guess to vocalize what I've been thinking the past 3-6 months, and I hope we can get back to that helpful, fun, enthusiast forum we used to have where we respected and spoke to one another as friends.

You guys are my life line to all that I have learned about this car and I hope we're all here 10, 20, 30 years from now still debating adding a spoiler or not, etc., though I'm sure somewhere there will be a Hood Scoop thread, I just hope it's overall more like the old days rather that what I've seen lately...I know I'm going to try.

I guess I just miss the old days...

Hey I'm new to this site and try to join in on the topics and start new ones and sometime I get a response sometimes not and I think other new guys are having the same problem. Just my opinion.

I am pretty sure Jeff is refering to the "Shelby GT Mafia" that formed here at Team Shelby from former members of ShelbyAutos. It even has its own god father. It is more tounge in cheek then a real real group or click. I don't think Jeff was refering to the "shelbymafia" web site.

+1

I'd never heard of the "shelbmafia" web site...great another web site to check into...

Hey I'm new to this site and try to join in on the topics and start new ones and sometime I get a response sometimes not and I think other new guys are having the same problem. Just my opinion.

Keep plugging away! I sometimes don't get responses...or at times not the ones I was hoping for. ;)

Ok, see I thought your feelings were hurt because you really aren't in the "click" but I didn't have the heart to tell ya!

:beerchug:

Now i'm REALLY crushed. I'm giving the Shelby to my grandson and buying a Vespa. They told me i could be top dog over there. :bike:

All,

I remember this little forum where people talked, they had fun, exchanged info, supported one another while we waited for our cars, and celebrated with one another when we got them. Yes, it was a different time then, we were all learning together, all of us patiently and sometimes not so patiently for our cars to arrive. I can't put a finger on what it was, and for those who we have welcomed since, I can only describe it as "fun". It was a fun place to check into with many friendships made that went from just words on the screen into a real life friendship that in some cases shared some pretty cool life experiences.

Recently though I've seen some old friends leave, or stop posting, seen their postings go way way down, while some others talk about leaving. I hate to see this happen and fear it will continue if we stay on the trend we are. These cars are fun but frankly no one I have in my close circle gets it and I know all of you "get it" so I rely on all of you!

I just want to express my hope and desire that we find a way, even with scoops that are less than perfect, and missing "Y"s to have fun again. We really do have much to be thankful for and I would like to see us celebrate the good and not focus so much on the bad. Sure we can and should talk about issues of mutual concern and we can disagree without being disagreeable, but I have enough negative in other areas of my life. I used to count on you guys to put a smile on my face and now too often I'm getting frown lines in here.

I'm not sure as I read back on this stream of typing what the point of this post is, only I guess to vocalize what I've been thinking the past 3-6 months, and I hope we can get back to that helpful, fun, enthusiast forum we used to have where we respected and spoke to one another as friends.

You guys are my life line to all that I have learned about this car and I hope we're all here 10, 20, 30 years from now still debating adding a spoiler or not, etc., though I'm sure somewhere there will be a Hood Scoop thread, I just hope it's overall more like the old days rather that what I've seen lately...I know I'm going to try.

That old site was great. There are some new guys on here who are great as well, but it seemed a little more close knit over there. I'll be posting more once driving season ends-til then, I'll be in the car!! I think part of the thing here is that we have too many places to post and the regional links split us up a bit. Count me in for having some fun!

I bought my 07 SGT brand new in 12/07. I did my homework and knew what I buying so if I have any complaints, as Jimmy Buffet says "Its my own damn fault". I joined Teamshelby right away with the idea of learning more about this great car and meeting people who shared my passion for the car. Although I have only been with this site for about 6 months, I too can see the whiners and the negative members. I don't know what our old days were like.

I used to be the president on an off-road club. I heard more complaints and flak from members about whatever the majority decided to do or not do. You can't please them all. I also was a member of an HO scal model rail road club. At local train shows, there was always a group of people who criticized everthing you ran. They would point out that there should be 25 1/87th scale rivets on that bocx car door, not the 22 that the model company molded in. I was reminded that I wasted my time and money painting and lettering it for a rail road that didn't even own such a car. My reply was always "Thanks. Show me the one you built so I'll get it right next time." None of these so called "rivet counters" had a layout, let alone any rail cars.

I have had a few very minor issues and received 100% support from Shelby Performance and my local Ford dealer. Even a Shelby is still a car first so it is bound to have a glitch or two when it is new. They're certainly not worth going on to this site and whining about. There are tech support sites for that.

Instead of dwelling on these types of people, we should consider the source of the negative vibes and move on. I don't like to give them the satisfaction of a reply. I have learned a lot and picked up some great tips that have helped me enjoy my SGT even more, if that's possible. I see plenty of rabid Shelby fans like me on the site. I have traded PMs and phone numbers with some truly dedicated memebers. I like what I see and plan to keep reading and posting.

That's my 2 cents................

Erik

07SGT 2940

Jeff , Good post.

I think a site or Forum is a sum of it's members, it is good and bad because of those members, if the members are ingaged then it's all good, like this post, look how many posted who lurk. The site is the same, just bigger, and getting bigger means getting some people who don't quite get the rules of engagement.

That said, we have also grown, not as polished and gratiously as we had hoped, but we try every day to make it better. We do hope that although the old site was smaller, we do think we grow, we have taken all of you with us to make this a better although bigger home.

Amy

I was on the old site and I must admit I do miss the camaraderie we all had there. This site is much bigger with many more members and it seems that those of us from the old forum have gotten lost in the shuffle. I guess that's to be expected, it's like moving from a small town to a big city. There's a lot more room to get lost. We all don't seem as close as we were but I think it's due to the fact that there are many more people here and several of the old forum members decided not to make the move.

Funny thing is I look at this site to relax.

Its a great site, better than TV for sure. I have learned alot about the cars...

I also enjoy having input from many different personalities whom I would probably never ever know otherwise...like most I stick to my circle of friends (freaks like me, most of them) and I am not a car show guy. Like Jeff some of my friends do not get why I have moving blankets nailed to my garage wall. The ones who do, I do not see everyday.

Here I meet differing opinions...usually from enthusiasts...its cool. It's a free country. I find the viewpoints interesting.

I agree Jeff lifes too short.

I am really excited to see Bob back too he was really going at his car and then he's back! Super cool. I am looking forward to the details ;)

Swede I still respectfully suggest you s/c the dang car! haha!

I am waiting for a business deal to finally end and then its serious s/c (at SAI) thought for me.

Everyone is different let them rant we can drive thats what I do.

I also personally think that the world is a different place actually, election year, high gas, headaches all around.

We should all lighten up, myself included, and BURNOUTS all AROUND! haha

P.s. Jeff you are still my favorite moderator whatever name you use! Your comebacks are always clever, but thats what I expect....Navy eh? (J.K. on the inside joke....) :hysterical:

Stumps not around much as he has rules at work now or something? :drop:

Also I love the emotioncons... :lurk: :bowdown: :car: :speedie: :banana piano: :kuko::titanic: :party2:

Most of all where else would the president of a major company give a rip about our ideas and thoughts...Think about it...this is a cool site and SAI is a great company run by real enthusiasts...

The overall site is bigger than the original, but the Shelby GT forums themselves aren't. For you guys that don't want to see all the GT500 or other stuff, why not just set your computer up so that it lands only on the Shelby GT sub-section(s)? Or, maybe I'm missing the point of why this site is deemed to be so much different than the previous? I think it may be more a matter that some people have either left, found interests elsewhere or just don't post so much anymore, but on the other hand there are newer people here also who we need to make feel welcome, and not just wish for the old site and the old group - they don't even know what we're talking about.

The overall site is bigger than the original, but the Shelby GT forums themselves aren't. For you guys that don't want to see all the GT500 or other stuff, why not just set your computer up so that it lands only on the Shelby GT sub-section(s)? Or, maybe I'm missing the point of why this site is deemed to be so much different than the previous? I think it may be more a matter that some people have either left, found interests elsewhere or just don't post so much anymore, but on the other hand there are newer people here also who we need to make feel welcome, and not just wish for the old site and the old group - they don't even know what we're talking about.

Here is the URL to land on the SGT Area only:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showforum=88

I didn't mean to say that I "just wish for the old site and the old group" or imply it's the people, but rather the tone I had seen. I'm totally happy with the forum, the new people, Team Shelby, etc., just wanted to call attention to a trend I wasn't pleased with seeing.

Gentlemen

I also was a member of both sights. For those of you who around recall the PSDS we went through together. I believe the issues then were much more emotional in nature. Is the vin staus system correct? When will my car be received at SAI. What do you mean my car has to wait in Michigan for a full railroad car? How long can that take? And we all the recall the waiting and waiting for the mods. I believe we all lived through that somewhat together. For sure, nobody else understand including the dealership and our wives. Now, we are all enjoying the cars. Regardless of the petty hood scope and stripe issue, I love my Shelby. I am more pleased than I thought I would be. I have met new people, you know who you are, fun people, who my wife and I love to be around. So this has opened new doors for me. Yes, in life there are all kinds. The previous forum was smaller..all focused on the same issue...where is my car!!

We now have them, enjoy them. Others in the bigger forum cannot relate to that. We can. But, they can learn from our experiences. Last thought. As some of you know I recently visited SAI and was very impressed with Amy and the group there. They did not know me from Adam, sorry Adam, but I found them to be approachable and willing to share the upcoming fixes for the MINOR

SORRY.. this is not like me but I am passionate about my car and what it stands for. Good ole American Muscle. I found Amy to be very approachable and I am pleased to say understanding of our issues. She is working on them. We have had several false starts and this time she wants to be perfect for us.

Think about it this way. How many other problems have you had with your car? Power? Handling? To me it has been great.

Sorry I went on so long but we need to focus on the fun of having these vehicles, along with the MINOR

I'm pretty new on the site (less than a year) so for me, this is the Old Days.

I didn't wait for my GT500. Some other guy did, and didn't pick up the car (the idiot!) for a month. Tuesday morning, I was obliviously driving my Taurus SHO hoping someday to have a GT500, and Wednesday I owned one. Been grinning ever since.

I've learned just about everything I need to know on this site, from washing the car, painting the axle, changing the oil, what suspension and parts to buy - you name it. I supplemented everything with my own research, and now I'm buying and bolting all kinds of cool stuff on the car.

Thanks to everybody here, especially the "old timers" who were here a year or more ahead of me. You saved me lots of trouble and heartache. Nobody told me about Team Shelby, which is the most valuable option that comes with a Shelby automobile.

I've got to meet Carroll and Cleo, Amy, Sharon and Robert. I got to ride in a Bullrun. Had my car on a track. I have pictures and autographs and memories that I would never have believed would be available to me one year ago. That all came with my membership in Team Shelby, as did everybody here. Now I get to go to Terlingua. Holy Shit!!!!

I try to ignore the complainers, but I do get a bit riled when somebody jumps on Amy or Carroll or Sharon or Robert. They are nice people, period, and if they have a fault it's trying to do too much for too many.

Somebody asked a while back if the membership was worth the fee. I think I just posted a one-word "yes", but I was really thinking "duh!"

So now I see a question about which oil to use, which tires, complaints about the wheel hop, what wax to use, and I just have to remind myself that I was looking for those same answers just a short time ago. So this forum is still new and exciting to some people out there, who are just now getting introduced to the car they just bought, so I try to pitch in my 2 cents.

There's more people, more personalities (good and bad). It's the Internet. People come and people go. When somebody sells their car, it hurts. The only thing that stays the same is that things always change.

This is where I spend most of my web time, and my first resource for everything related to my car.

Ciao,

Mike

Archived