TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clay Bar Prep Suggestions

Im getting ready to use a clay bar system within the next couple of days and follow it up with a few layers of waxing. Was wondering if anyone had any specific suggestions they could give me from their experience with clay bar systems. My biggest question is what is the best way to prep the car before using the clay bar. Other than thoroughly cleaning the car with car wash soap, is there anything else that i should use to make sure i get everything off the car. Ive read of people using dish detergent but i thought that was a rather harsh soap. Again any suggestions small or big are appreciated. :happy feet: . I cant wait for my arms to feel like they are gonna fall off!!! :hysterical:

Im getting ready to use a clay bar system within the next couple of days and follow it up with a few layers of waxing. Was wondering if anyone had any specific suggestions they could give me from their experience with clay bar systems. My biggest question is what is the best way to prep the car before using the clay bar. Other than thoroughly cleaning the car with car wash soap, is there anything else that i should use to make sure i get everything off the car. Ive read of people using dish detergent but i thought that was a rather harsh soap. Again any suggestions small or big are appreciated. :happy feet: . I cant wait for my arms to feel like they are gonna fall off!!! :hysterical:

I use Dawn dishwashing detergent once a year to clean off all build-up (it's not that harsh). Then use the clay bar, then wash with car wash before beginning the polishing.

Keep kneading and folding the clay often, and if you drop it, throw it away and get a fresh bar.

Wash first, I use the Turtle Wax wash (I'd used another Turtle Wax wash for years because it made good suds in even cold water, but my new favorite is the wash that is part of the Ice kit). I always start with a wet down, wash with a mit and rinse right behind it. Don't let the soap dry before rinsing. Easiest way is a panel or side at a time - start with the hood, roof and trunk deck (along with windows). Then the side in the shade, then the side in the sun. Finally, I've got some (literally) 30 year old terry cloth bath towels I use to dry with. They are really absorbent and soft.

Then do the clay bar. I used the Maguiuars kit, but when I ran out of the detailer spray I switched to the Turtle Wax detailer - I don't think there is any difference.

Then I use Turtle Wax Ice PASTE wax. I'm too old to believe that you can do the same with liquid.

I've washed my car after each drive, and I'm thinking I might clay bar it and wax it again this weekend.

Black paint is a career and very compatible with obsessive compulsive behaviour traits.

Since my '08 was never waxed/polished before, i simply washed it thoroughly, dried it, then proceeded to clay bar it. After the clay bar, i polished and waxed it.

Check out "Youtube" for videos on car washing care.

I would recommend washing your car with a highly lubricative car wash soap, such as Meguiars Gold Class or my favorite, the Turtle Wax ICE car wash soap. Either of those encapsulates the dirt extremely well and keeps the dirt from scratching the paint as you wash the car. Aside from that, after you go over it once with the car wash soap, do a spot check after rinsing it to make sure you didn't miss anything. Once that is done, dry your car REALLY well (the quick detail solution that is used as a lubricant for the clay bar seems to draw water out of nooks and crannies when it is sprayed on....very annoying). Make sure your paint is cool and in the shade, and clay bar away. There is really no magic to prepping the paint to clay bar. You COULD use a paint cleaner like Meguiars Step 1.

Use a warm or hot high suds Dawn if you've waxed your car. Never scrub...

Dawn will strip any wax from your car.

Clay bar it indoors immediately after washing and drying.

Always keep plenty of liquid on the clay bar.

Work in small areas.

Lightly rewash with a good car wash, like recommended above. I use ICEs car wash. It works extremely well.

Put at least one coat of wax (I use ICE paste, no residue or powder) on as soon as you finish the wash and dry.

Be sure to dust or spray detail (I use Adam's Polish Detail Spray, the best I've ever seen) before adding the next coats if you wait a day.

One thought here....If you are going for a clay bar and then the layers of wax ..why not do it at the end of summer...the reason is with the heat and the son exposure and hight temps the wax/clear coat/paint tends to soften, so chances are to have more contaminants binding to that exfoliated surface even if you protect it with wax. so if regular cleaning an waxing for now and then the clay bar towards end of summer when temps go down could be a good idea.

Archived